ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-06-2012   #1
4-cam

Default Fuel Pump Question

Do the fuel pumps have a check valve in them? While trouble shooting a code 55 after changing injectors, I was monitoring the fuel pressure and as soon as I shut it down the fuel pressure drops to "0". I think I have a fuel pump getting flaky as under WOT, about 6000 rpm the car hesitated, the fuel pressure dropped to about 40psi. Then the fuel pressure jumped up to 50, like the 2ndary fuel pump started. Instant power increase, but I think it was running lean already and the code 55 came up. It definitely feels like its starving for fuel and struggles to get up past 6000 rpm. The car was sitting for 3 months before I went for the injector change so the fuel pump may be failing from sitting idle.

Anyone got any Ideas or am i on the right track?

Thanks in advance
[I]1991 ZR-1 Blk/Gry #31[/I]
[I]SW Headers/Xpipe- Dynomax Muffs[/I]
[I]Ported top end[/I]
[I]Secondaries Removed[/I]
Tune by Dominic
4-cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012   #2
VetteMed

Default Re: Fuel Pump Question

pressure drop should be slow, perhaps over 20-30 minutes. there is indeed a valve that prevents instant drop in fuel pressure after the key is turned off. Sounds like you are on the right track.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #3
4-cam

I checked the running amps on the pump and they are at 9.5 so it seems they are good. I thought I remember a post were someone said the stock clamps in the tank come loose? I think I will pull them and see if that's the issue. If they are loose that could explain erratic pressure and my leak down issue.
[I]Ported top end[/I]
Tune by Dominic
Old 04-07-2012   #4
tomtom72

Yes the stock clamps are the plastic sliding teeth type. The plastic I think becomes softened by the gas over time is my guess, or the hose becomes harder and the clamp has a hard time sealing the connection. I don't which is the more likely culprit.

I just did what everyone else does, use small s/s ideal clamps and new hose.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #5
QB93Z

My first thought for the fuel pressure drop on enging shut off is a leaking injector. The service manual describes how to test for fuel leakdown.

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #6
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-cam View Post
Do the fuel pumps have a check valve in them? While trouble shooting a code 55 after changing injectors, I was monitoring the fuel pressure and as soon as I shut it down the fuel pressure drops to "0". I think I have a fuel pump getting flaky as under WOT, about 6000 rpm the car hesitated, the fuel pressure dropped to about 40psi. Then the fuel pressure jumped up to 50, like the 2ndary fuel pump started. Instant power increase, but I think it was running lean already and the code 55 came up. It definitely feels like its starving for fuel and struggles to get up past 6000 rpm. The car was sitting for 3 months before I went for the injector change so the fuel pump may be failing from sitting idle.

Anyone got any Ideas or am i on the right track?

Thanks in advance
They do have check valves, and I discovered that when I had pretty much identical symptoms as you describe, after I installed new pumps - one had a bad check valve out of the box!

With respect to Jim V's comment on the injectors, I would agree. However, in my case I logically dismissed leaking injectors being that 1) there was no hard starting or short term rough idle and 2)the plugs were all dry and 3) I had the luxury of knowing the characteristic behavior of the fuel pressure leak down test, prior to determining one of the pumps was in fact not working, and it held pressure before installing the new (and faulty) pump.

And, BTW, I was able to confirm the pump check valve was bad by blowing (mouth) into the pump outlet while holding it in my hand.

HTH,

P.

PS:

Forgot to mention it, but I changed my fuel filter at the time I changed the pumps. The car had about 42k miles on it, but you should have seen the bottom of the catch pan when I drainded the fule out of the old filter. Boy-howdy!! Was it filthy!!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 04-07-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012   #7
4-cam

Thanks for the reply Paul, I am just going to pull the assembly and check it out. I'm ruling out the injectors as The are brand new and i am lacking fuel pressure upon acceleration. Fuel pressure drops off instead of increasing as the vacuum drops. Pumps amp out OK so i believe I have a leaky hose inside the tank. This would cause the low fuel pressure and leak down of fuel pressure upon shutdown. Ill check her out and most likely replace pumps and strainers. Mileage on the car is about 44k, close to yours.
[I]Ported top end[/I]
Tune by Dominic
Old 04-22-2012   #8
4-cam

So I replaced the fuel pumps.
Under WOT the fuel pressure jumps to about 52 so I was correct in thinking that the fuel pumps were going bad. Still was getting a lean code 55. The spark plugs verified this. I figured maybe a vacuum leak so I pulled he plenum off again and did some further investigation. Couldn't find anything until I looked down the injector housing. Upon closer inspection I see the tip of the injector protruding past the end of the injector housing boss about 1/8 inch on the secondary side. I was able to see part of the O'ring with a small inspection mirror. I noticed there are two slots on the injectors for the fuel injector clip. If the top one is used, the injector is too far down in the housing causing my issue. I moved the injectors up into the fuel rail and now the face of the injector is flush with the end of the injector housing boss. I reassembled the car, and took it for a drive. Idles much better, no vacuum leaks, pulls harder than before all the way to 7000 + rpm and then the code 55 pops back up. Could this be a tuning issue? I don't have a scan tool. Any ideas? BTW these are new injectors
[I]Ported top end[/I]
Tune by Dominic

Last edited by 4-cam; 04-23-2012 at 12:23 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 04-23-2012   #9
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-cam View Post
So I replaced the fuel pumps.
Under WOT the fuel pressure jumps to about 52 so I was correct in thinking that the fuel pumps were going bad. Still was getting a lean code 55. The spark plugs verified this. I figured maybe a vacuum leak so I pulled he plenum off again and did some further investigation. Couldn't find anything until I looked down the injector housing. Upon closer inspection I see the tip of the injector protruding past the end of the injector housing boss about 1/8 inch on the secondary side. I was able to see part of the O'ring with a small inspection mirror. I noticed there are two slots on the injectors for the fuel injector clip. If the top one is used, the injector is too far down in the housing causing my issue. I moved the injectors up into the fuel rail and now the face of the injector is flush with the end of the injector housing boss. I reassembled the car, and took it for a drive. Idles much better, no vacuum leaks, pulls harder than before all the way to 7000 + rpm and then the code 55 pops back up. Could this be a tuning issue? I don't have a scan tool. Any ideas? BTW these are new injectors
Frustrating I know. Persistence WILL pay off. Keep going.
My first thought would be to put the stock prom back in but....
not sure how all the mods (nixed secondaries and porting) would behave.
I may have missed something.
Did you replace both fuel pumps or just the one?
The reason I ask is that I had a lean code set but only intermittently until finally the pump failed all together. Once I replace BOTH pumps the lean code went away. No amount of pressure testing uncovered this highly intermittent failure.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012   #10
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
I forgot to mention it, but I changed my fuel filter at the time I changed the pumps. The car had about 42k miles on it, but you should have seen the bottom of the catch pan when I drainded the fule out of the old filter. Boy-howdy!! Was it filthy!!
Before you go ANY further did you change the fuel filter?
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote