ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-12-2014   #1
8cam

Default flickering dash

I've noticed recently that at idle with my lights on, sometimes I'll get a slight flicker in the dash lights that goes away the second I bring the revs up even a little. No warning lights, battery is fully charged and everything works perfectly. Do you think this is a sign of a failing voltage regulator, or is the alternator on the way out?
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #2
Billy Mild

Default Re: flickering dash

I have the same issue. It seems to happen more often when I have the A/C on. I just cleaned the main battery terminals last night. So I don't know if that made a difference or not.

I did clean all the grounds inside the cabin. This seems to have fixed my random ABS warning light.
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #3
csavaglio

My LT4 car does the same thing and I even get a split second drop on the voltage gauge when it happens. Seems like it does it more often when it's cold and more often when there's more load, like lights, AC, etc. I put on a new alternator, new battery, new battery terminals, made sure everything was tight, etc. There was never any corrosion on the cables or anything. The voltage reg is integrated on the alternator, so that's new too.

My feeling is that maybe it's the headlight switch, but it doesn't seem to be bothering anything other than being a nuisance, so after a couple of goes at trouble shooting, I gave up. The car still remains super reliable.....

My ZR-1 doesn't do it at all and none of the other 8 or 9 C4's I've owned have done it.

Chris
csavaglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #4
Roadster

I also have the same problem on the 94, but goes away as Mark mentioned.
Still it is noticeable, but doesn't effect how the Z runs or drives, which is a good thing.
Depending on the alternator, if I remember correctly, the stator has to be "excited" in order to maintain the proper voltage, and this does not happen until the engine reaches or is revved to a certain rpm. (usually around 1500 r's)
This was also prevalent on my 82, I would just make sure I brought the r's up, although the dash lights weren't flickering, the volts weren't where they were supposed to be.
IMO, if the flickering goes away after a few seconds and doesn't happen when your driving, I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure, even with a "cold" engine you bring the r's up to 1500 and you shouldn't have any problem.
On the other hand, if it continues when driving at different speeds, then there is something that isn't right, which could be the brink of something "big", (like getting stuck on the highway) or something real "small", such as a short, possible wire break, etc., etc, which could turn into something "big", if you never check it out!!!.......

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Roadster; 09-12-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014   #5
ZR1North

I had that issue as well. It disappeared completely when I replaced the five-year old battery.

I keep a tender on the battery if the car is going to sit for a couple of weeks. With the unit I replaced, I noticed the green (fully charged) light would be illuminated on the tender, but the battery was too weak to crank the engine. Replacing the battery addressed that issue and the flickering dash lights too.
ZR1North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014   #6
Schrade

I'm betting it's grounds integrated into the display module in the dash.

I cleaned and di-electric greased ALL my engine bay ground straps when doing top end cleanup, and the flicker persisted.

I think the CCM ground connections are on the back of the block - are they not???
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014   #7
csavaglio

My LT4 has been doing it for the year and a half I've owned it and it doesn't seem to have gotten worse.....also doesn't seem to affect much except the occasional flicker. I daily drive it and I've put about 15k miles on it. The dash grounds sound like a possibility.

I can't remember if I put a new battery in it or not when I first got it....I guess I could go out and pop the hood to check. I shipped all the other cars up to Colorado already.....
Old 09-13-2014   #8
Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1North View Post
I had that issue as well. It disappeared completely when I replaced the five-year old battery.

I keep a tender on the battery if the car is going to sit for a couple of weeks. With the unit I replaced, I noticed the green (fully charged) light would be illuminated on the tender, but the battery was too weak to crank the engine. Replacing the battery addressed that issue and the flickering dash lights too.
My battery is from NAPA installed by a PO in 2012, and as soon as I rev the engine, it is gone. But checking all grounds is always a good thing.

1994 ZR-1 #009 "captured test fleet car"
1974 LS4 454 Vert
1982 L83 CFI...now a retired "dd"....Sold

WAZOO Member
Roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014   #9
csavaglio

Ok, the battery on my 96 was about 4 years old....long before I got the car.... and led a rough life....we had to jump it when I went to pick the car up and the car had spent a good portion of its life sitting. I put a new alternator and it was fine from then on.

I just put a new battery in since I'm moving where it's cold and it's good peace of mind. We'll see if it helps and I'll report back.

Chris
Old 09-13-2014   #10
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by csavaglio View Post
Ok, the battery on my 96 was about 4 years old....long before I got the car.... and led a rough life....we had to jump it when I went to pick the car up and the car had spent a good portion of its life sitting. I put a new alternator and it was fine from then on.

I just put a new battery in since I'm moving where it's cold and it's good peace of mind. We'll see if it helps and I'll report back.

Chris

Got a new battery about to go in too - see if it makes a difference here...................................
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote