ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-25-2015   #1
Vette73

Default Starter removal tips?

Well, my mechanic finally diagnosed my no start as a dead starter....Had a feeling, just wanted to make sure....

As of now plenum is off ( of course )..Four bolts that hold coil packs are out along with the two electrical connections are loose...

I was told just remove the wires from the head and disconnect the brackets that hold the wires near the cam covers....I guess this way I can just lift up the tray that holds the coils......

I started to just remove the wires from the coils but it's tough to get a good grip on the back ones due to the fuel lines....Dont really feel like taking the fuel lines out again...

I'm sure many members have removed there starter...Which way is easier?

Thanks....
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015   #2
Demps

Default Re: Starter removal tips?

Remove wires from coils. Take a cell phone photo prior. Take coils out on mounting plate as a whole--don't drop bolts. Remove ground (don't drop lock washer), purple wire & two starter mounting bolts.

On reinstall:
Start two bolts by hand. Seat starter flush against block. Tighten bolts. Attach ground & purple wire. DO NOT pinch purple wire with coil mounting plate. Don't drop bolts--if you do, they will be under starter & you get try again.

Ted
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015   #3
Dynomite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demps View Post
Remove wires from coils. Take a cell phone photo prior. Take coils out on mounting plate as a whole--don't drop bolts. Remove ground (don't drop lock washer), purple wire & two starter mounting bolts.

On reinstall:
Start two bolts by hand. Seat starter flush against block. Tighten bolts. Attach ground & purple wire. DO NOT pinch purple wire with coil mounting plate. Don't drop bolts--if you do, they will be under starter & you get try again.

Ted
Concur ......I like that description

But will add....Clean Valley Drain when Starter is out
Also....take a look for any fresh oil leaks from around Injector Housing and Lower Crankcase Cover.
And......well....you know what else to look for when the stuff you removed for starter removal is out of the way

Last edited by Dynomite; 11-25-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015   #4
mgbrv8

Here are pictures of mine if it helps

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=8f46fa4533

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette73 View Post
Well, my mechanic finally diagnosed my no start as a dead starter....Had a feeling, just wanted to make sure....

As of now plenum is off ( of course )..Four bolts that hold coil packs are out along with the two electrical connections are loose...

I was told just remove the wires from the head and disconnect the brackets that hold the wires near the cam covers....I guess this way I can just lift up the tray that holds the coils......

I started to just remove the wires from the coils but it's tough to get a good grip on the back ones due to the fuel lines....Dont really feel like taking the fuel lines out again...

I'm sure many members have removed there starter...Which way is easier?

Thanks....
mgbrv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015   #5
Vette73

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgbrv8 View Post
Here are pictures of mine if it helps

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=8f46fa4533

Dave
Dave thanks so much......
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote