ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-02-2013   #1
MikeGolf

Question Pulling the trigger on New Wheels

OK, the A mods are growing old on me and I need some new wheels. I've decided on Weld Wheel's 17" S71 RT-S wheel. They are 3 piece, light weight wheel. I have C5 brakes so the medium pad height helps with the brakes and I know their racing heritage of drag racing and dirt track racing. I like the looks, I'm sold. I Just need some advice.

I would like to know if anyone has used these wheels. They say they make a wheel specially for our ZR-1, but the offsets are wrong and they say you need to go to a bigger OD wheel/tire because of the '92MY and newer ASR. (see below links) I would prefer to stay with 17" wheels. I am open to help from all wheel experts. All opinions welcome. TIA Jeff

Also on my Black Rose car; Polished or Black?

http://weldracing.com/street-performance/rts-17-inch/17-in-s71-5x4-75.html
http://weldracing.com/aitdownloadablefiles/download/aitfile/aitfile_id/418/
http://weldracing.com/aitdownloadablefiles/download/aitfile/aitfile_id/319/

'93 #166 Black Rose
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.” Heraclitus
MikeGolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013   #2
Schrade

Default Re: Pulling the trigger on New Wheels

Black. ALL Black.
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013   #3
USAFPILOT

polished
1994 #293 ZR-1 Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, B&B catback w/ X-Pipe, 18" Shelby Series One Wheels, SLP CAI.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013   #4
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFPILOT View Post
polished
I agree! Those look like Fikse's!

And those are reasonably priced too....

Make sure of the offset you want before you order. I'd recommend 11.5 inch rears, with standard offsets. (fronts standard)

Great find Mike!

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013   #5
Kevin

Diggin those
Old 02-02-2013   #6
mgg

Be VERY careful. You get what you pay for. I have not seen these wheels on any ZR-1. I have seen these wheels on drag cars. Personally I would think long and hard before going with Weld. I could be completely wrong but I would choose, CCW, Fikse, Forgeline, HRE or Shelby wheels. 12" rears would be mandatory for me. I know these wheels are ridiculously expensive but they would be my first choice. Second would be A-molds. I really worry about offsets and the capability of the wheels manufactuers to get it right. Believe me I have learned the hard way. I wish you the best and hope you are satisfied.
mgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013   #7
vilant

I like the look of the black ones. Think they would stand out even more, if you have a nice looking set of calipers behind them. Maybe red or yellow.
1990 Bright Red ZR-1 #2599
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013   #8
WVZR-1

The application chart that they post and are in the OP's links are pretty much "BS"! I tried to build the fronts in a 17 X 10 with a 58mm offset which would be a very satisfactory fit and when I rolled it to a "buy" it changed the wheel spec to a 64mm offset on the order. I didn't try a rear build but I might.

Before doing the fronts a person needs to understand how to measure for the caliper required clearance of the caliper they intend to use. The general appearance of the wheel will change rather dramatically depending upon what they call "pad height".

Pay absolutely no attention to their chart.

Their "build application" seems faulty! I tried to build a 12" for the rear and it "stalled".

OP - If you really wanted to stay with 17" it looks like it could be done like this 17 X 11 @33mm for the rear. That would be an ideal fit for the rear with 315's. That would move the tire wheel 3mm outboard and a very good fit. The fronts I saw at 117 X 10 @58mm for a best fit. Their 17 X 9.5 @52 would be a good fit also.

I'd be inclined to do a "polished" wheel but I don't believe I'd do either until I had a "hands-on" of the product. I'd ask questions as to weight, the center bore dimension and what type of hardware(wheel nut) is used to retain them.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-03-2013 at 03:15 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013   #9
Blue Flame Restorations

Polished, for sure..........
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013   #10
RICKYRJ1