ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-24-2008   #1
DScott600

Default new ZR1 owner with a few questions.

I have recently purchased a white 1991 ZR1 with 70,000 miles. The car is great, just needs a little paint work on the front bumper and some maintenance items taken care of. I usually don't post because I find everything I need to know form searching. I never had to ask anything about my 03 Z06. I have access to all the tools I need and a lift. I'm also pretty good at working on cars. I plan on removing the plenum and and replacing plug wires, coil packs, spark plugs and injectors while I have it off. I will be using the Bosch injectors from FIC. I will also change the PCV, thermostat, oil, brake fluid, transmission and rear end fluid just for peace of mind. My question is I have a small vacuum leak that needs addressing. What parts would I need to replace while I'm under the plenum to after I find the leak? Would the standard vacuum hose rebuild kit from white racing address most of the area under the plenum and if not what else would I need and where would you get it? Also at appears the secondary vacuum pump is bad, I will remove it and see if it is a simple problem but if it needs replacing I read there is a GMC truck that uses the same pump, just different connector. Where would I get that from?
DScott600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #2
cuisinartvette

Default Re: new ZR1 owner with a few questions.

Sounds like youre going to town on some P.M. and straightening the car out.

Was that the white/red one up for sale recently,mind if we ak what you gave for it?

Enjoy.
Old 08-24-2008   #3
DScott600

It is the white with grey interior. I am the second owner. It has a borla catback and SLP cold air intake. I have all the maintenance records and there is no indication that any work has been done under the plenum or the serpentine belt has ever been replaced either. I would feel much better if I got all this stuff out of the way. The original owner did some things that make me question his treatment of the car. (passenger window strached due to sheet metal screw sticking out in the door panel when window rubber was replaced, after market CD player installed without dash kit, front spoiler/air dam removed.) I paid 16K for the car. It is at the shop now getting the paint fixed, and I got the window replaced and all of them retinted. Help with the other PM parts is appreciated.
Old 08-24-2008   #4
jonszr1

sounds like you got a nice deal on her . i would test the vacume lines first before paying the 300 that curt wants for the setup . you my find that it could be a ck valve a actuator , or another single piece , that might solve the problem . i rebuilt my whole system for 50. by doing it myself .if you didnt get a helms/ factory service manual with the car i would invest in one now . it sure makes trouble shooting easier . enjoy your new ride . these are amazing cars . caused me to by 2 . ps headers and upper end porting can put you in the 400 rwhp zone and then these cars get really fun
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008   #5
jonszr1

one last thing without the air dam they tend to get hot
Old 08-24-2008   #6
DScott600

thanks for the info, I was just trying to get an idea about parts, so I wouldn't have to pull the plenum any more then i have to. I already replaced the air dam so hopefully no problems there. But what about the vacuum pump? I know it isn't coming on, hopefully it is just the inline fuse from the battery I read about but if not does someone have the part # of the one from the GM truck that uses the same one? I work at a college and will be using the automotive shop while we are on break so I hoped to get all the parts I need before I started. The only part I'm really worried about is the vacuum lines under the plenum and the pump.
Old 08-24-2008   #7
cuisinartvette

There was one from I think a Kodiak truck and another one from a Jetta that worked I think. Ive seen the PNs before here and didnt wriote them down.

Someone will pipe in with them, be patient. THese guys have all the answers.
Old 08-24-2008   #8
flyin ryan

it's a little hard to totally diagnose the vacuum leak with out pulling the plenum first. you might have one leak or ten. i know what your trying to do, you have shop space for XXX amount of time. if that's the case you'd better have everything (parts) on hand, whether you need them or not .
Old 08-24-2008   #9
DScott600

So would the standard vacuum hose rebuild kit from white racing take care of everything under the plenum? Or is there a better solution for these lines? The leak sounds like it is coming from the back of the intake. I guess I will just get it looking and running good for now and then next year look into headers and getting the plenum and injector hosing porting and refinished. I would also like to get the shocks rebuilt and do some suspension stiffening. Thanks for the input so far guys. When i get it back from the paint shop I'll post some pics.
Old 08-24-2008   #10
jonszr1

the leak could also be comming from the pvc hose thats in the back .it has a tendancy to rot if its the factory piece . you could get it from curt 200 or get creativce and make your own for a lot less . all depends on what way you want to go . vac lines are easily made by buying buck line and using a hair dryer to form them to match the originals. on the corvette action center is a good thread on the pump . it has a tendancy to corood inside .but it could be the fuse also . the pump if you need one is about 125 for the kodiak truck.good luck