ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-16-2014   #1
4-cam

Default Headers , Exhaust and emissions in Colorado

I decided to start a new thread as I start my journey with Mods and emissions in Colorado.
I decided to go with my own version of the FBI Dynomax setup. I just finished fitting and welding it together. I installed V-band clamps just ahead of the rear mount for easy removal. I did not go with the NPP setup yet as the ones I found available were a small fortune. I am using clamps on the tips so the NPP setup will be a future mod. I also want to investigate using an electric valve and switch instead of the vacuum operated system.
In Colorado we have to keep the emissions equipment intact with the AIR system in place, Cats and pass the IM240 treadmill test. I went with Stainless Works performance connect headers and added air tubes so the stock air system should bolt right up. These are currently being coated. I should have them back next week for installation. With the purchase of the headers from the group buy last summer , I also ordered SW high flow Cats. Thru others experience on this board, I was advised that there is no way it would pass emissions with those Cats. I decided to first install a set of Universal OBDII compliant Magnaflow Cats for the initial emissions test along with the stock tune. These are 400 CPI, not 200 CPI like SW and are suppose to have more Heavy Metal in them than the std high flow universal cat. Along with Being 5" dia. vs the 4" SW. I will wrap the Cats to keep them hot and as active as possible. I'm hoping this, along with the stock tune will get me thru the initial emissions test. In Colorado, if you have an active emissions sticker when the car turns 25 years old, then you no longer need further emisions. If this works out,it will be my last emissions test, then I will install the SW cats and work on the Tune for optimum performance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (129.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 2014-02-15 22.08.28.jpg (93.7 KB, 19 views)
[I]1991 ZR-1 Blk/Gry #31[/I]
[I]SW Headers/Xpipe- Dynomax Muffs[/I]
[I]Ported top end[/I]
[I]Secondaries Removed[/I]
Tune by Dominic

Last edited by 4-cam; 02-16-2014 at 01:13 AM.
4-cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014   #2
Schrade

Default Re: Headers , Exhaust and emisions in Colorado

Nice lookin' hardware!

Keep the snappics comin' there...
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014   #3
mike100

I did something similar, but I used oem catalysts because I think they use a lot more precious metals(platinum and palladium) in the substrate than universals. I have yet to run my car on a gas analyzer since putting the LS7 cats on the end of my long tube headers, but it passes the smell test for sure. The air injection was also retained to help light them off sooner.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014   #4
FU

I have seen these cars (stock & tuned) pass the sniffer test W/O cats.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014   #5
Greg1960

Sent you some info about the new laws in Colo.
Greg1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #6
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1960 View Post
Sent you some info about the new laws in Colo.
It has been 15 years since I lived there, but I seem to recall that emissions compliance went county by county. Jefferson = yes, Park = no (counties I lived in). Has that changed?

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #7
Franke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
It has been 15 years since I lived there, but I seem to recall that emissions compliance went county by county. Jefferson = yes, Park = no (counties I lived in). Has that changed?
Yeah Paul to bring you up to date. Colorado expanded the area for emissions in the front range counties. Park is still exempt. They also changed the law last August to read that collector cars (5 year plates) are now required to be 32 years old instead of 25 and must have emissions 2 speed idle check every 5 years. They have to have been built before 1976. Collector cars were exempt from emissions before. Also, The owner must sign an affidavit stating they will not drive the car more than 4500 miles a year. Can you believe this stuff. I think people were cheating and getting collector plates to do daily driving as I have see some real junk with these plates on them. Its about the money too.
P.S. A few years ago they tightened up the standards to about almost 50% of what they were initially.

Last edited by Franke; 02-19-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014   #8
4-cam

Colorado seems to be following California's lead in regards to emissions. I researched this back when we had the group buy on the Stainless Works headers last summer just before they changed the laws wouldn’t you know. Oh well... I have some good Ideas to get it thru if I have issues.
I get my headers back from being coated today. Ill post up some pics later of the coated headers with AIR tubes I installed and start reassembly.
[I]Ported top end[/I]
Tune by Dominic
Old 02-19-2014   #9
4-cam

Well I got the headers back from the coaters and am very happy with the results. I got the drivers side installed without to much trouble. The air tubes added a little difficulty with getting the front bolts in. I did test fit these several times before welding them in place so i made sure the clearance was adequate. I noticed the knock sensor plug didn't look seated properly. As I touched it, the plug fell apart, obviously degraded from the heat. I would bet the connection was poor for some time. Any body know the plug part number please post up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coated Headers.JPG (128.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Left.JPG (128.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg right.JPG (119.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg photo 3.JPG (98.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Knock.JPG (140.6 KB, 13 views)
[I]Ported top end[/I]
Tune by Dominic

Last edited by 4-cam; 02-20-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-20-2014   #10
Franke

Nice stuff. Looks like a good even coating. As my wife would say... very pretty. Yep, you will need a new knock sensor connector. Don't know the part number but its in parts group 3.682.
Edit: 2.382

Last edited by Franke; 02-20-2014 at 08:50 AM.
Franke is offline   Reply With Quote