ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-31-2015   #1
Jetjock

Default Hi beam low beam switch stuck

When I got my Ruby Z last year, I discovered a problem with the hi beam switch. It wouldn't move. Had Gordon take a look at it and he managed to get it working for a short time but got the same problem again. The actual switch works but the lever is the problem. I looked at a disassembled column over at Roger Carter's and kinda have an idea what the problem is. Has anybody had an issue like that? Gordon told me that it would be a huge chore to fix.

If I feel the need for speed,
I just think about flying the B-777.

1989 Dk Blue Coupe lost in divorce
1991 Black Coupe SOLD
1992 Black ZR-1 #423 SOLD!
1993 Ruby Red 40th Anniversary ZR-1 #334
1995 Black ZR-1 taken by ex-wife
2002 Pewter Coupe no idea where it is
2003 50th Anniversary Corvette #No idea what number SOLD!
ZR-1 Net Registry #516
Grand Sport Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime #1468
ZR-1 Net Registry Board Secretary
Jetjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016   #2
WVZR-1

Default Re: Hi beam low beam switch stuck

I believe the part Gordon is referencing is the wiper/dimmer multifunction switch. I can do it but haven't for several years. Can I explain it? NO

The failed part is most likely a GM# 26015119 - the OE/GM was quite expensive. There are reproductions for $70 or so generally. I've only ever used OE/GM, I know no one who has used the reproduction product.

The steering column disassembly for some is easy, for some more difficult. If you've access to the proper tools it's certainly something to consider doing yourself. It's NOT the only potential failure so I'd do some diagnostics.

You mentioned "STUCK" so I'd remove the hush panel and make sure you can actually operate the dimmer switch by manually moving the rod outside the column. Is the turn lever loose and floppy? If yes the part I mentioned is likely. If the turn lever is not floppy then maybe not. A dimmer actuator higher in the column is possible.

In this image the possible failed parts are #21 and #23

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.co...=0&modelYear=0

This link is to a "typical" Saginaw column "pre-SIR" and actually a Fiero so you need to disregard the key-release but aside from that there are some very good images. I had a much better one and I believe I still do but it's on a failed hard drive I've never tried to recover anything from. It's for an SIR Saginaw column. With the FSM and this document you should likely be able to determine if this is a DIY or a "for hire" project.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ck_Rebuild.pdf

eBay or Amazon for comparison pricing. Use "26015119"

I'll search a little more for my other document and maybe someone whose done one recently will post.

**** If by chance it's the dimmer on the column, piece of cake for a DIY. Just be sure to secure the dimmer actuator rod to the column before you remove the switch. It doesn't require much to secure it. Switch is #83 in the column image.

**** This isn't the one I referenced above but it's a fellow modifying a MHC (motor home chassis) column and there's some very good images in it. I forgot I had it. I was surprised the link still worked. Towards the end of the document dimmer actuator is mentioned. You should be able to save just the relevant images by clicking on (selecting image) then right click (copy image) and open in PAINT.

http://www.gmceast.com/technical/Sow...ade_Repair.pdf

Is the disassembled column you looked at going to be apart for awhile longer? Is it a column for a car or "spare" you could use for practice?

Last edited by WVZR-1; 01-01-2016 at 07:53 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016   #3
Billy Mild

My brights work fine, but what makes the lever floppy? Mine does rattle quite a bit.
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016   #4
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
My brights work fine, but what makes the lever floppy? Mine does rattle quite a bit.
The wiper/multifunction switch generally, very seldom the actuator/lever turn signal switch to dimmer connector #11 in the image and part# 26020396
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016   #5
Jetjock

When Gordon put the column back, we checked the light switch and it worked fine. It seems that the lever acts jammed when you try to move it. Roger Carter had a disassembled C4 column that we looked at and he's got several of them so I can do hands on. Appreciate the help.

1991 Black Coupe SOLD
ZR-1 Net Registry #516
NCM Lifetime #1468
Old 04-12-2016   #6
Jetjock

I checked the dimmer switch and it worked. I next dropped the column so I could get a better handle on the rod. After messing with it for a bit, it was freely moving so I tried the multi-function stalk and it started working. The only thing that I can figure is that the rod somehow moved and was hitting something that would't let it move. That's my best guess. It works. that's all I care about.

1991 Black Coupe SOLD
ZR-1 Net Registry #516
NCM Lifetime #1468