ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-27-2013   #1
Racinfan83

Default Transmission Oil Change DIY

I took the plunge and did this yesterday. Not too bad of a job. Here's how...
I jacked the car up from the side using first the jack point on the left front. I got the car up enough to get jack stands under the frame in front of rear wheel and ahead of the front jack point - make sure your stands are in the same notch so the car will be level when you set it down. Went to other side and jacked the same way - once again you want the stands to be level so the car sits level on them.
Open the hood (carefully so you don't hit your garage door or ceiling). There are two plugs on the ZF transmission - one on the passenger side and one on the bottom. They both take a 17mm hex like this: http://www.zr1.net/forum/showpost.ph...80&postcount=6
I had to go to Sears Hardware and get one - $10.49. You will also need about a 3' section of tubing to use to fill with. The fill hole is about 7/8", I found that garden hose fit perfect. I then got under the car with that, the hex wrench, drain pan, and an open end 17mm wrench. Take the fill plug loose first - (in case it doesn't come out for some reason at least you still have the oil in the tranny) I then took the drain plug out holding the hex wrench with one hand and using the longer 17mm wrench to turn it. While it was draining - I took that time to feed the end of the hose up behind the engine so it came out next to the firewall, then removed fill plug and inserted hose about an inch and a half into tranny. Thanks to ZFdoc for that idea! Replaced drain plug. Now up top - I put a funnel into the hose end and put 2.2 liters of Castrol TWS 10W60 in. (Make SURE it is TWS! I got my 3 ltrs from a local BMW dealer for $14.50 a ltr - cheaper then I found it online) You will want to have the plug cleaned and ready to put in before you pull the fill hose, just to minimize the amount of oil that may run out. Tighten the fill plug, remove the hose, and you are done! Amazing how much quieter and easier shifting it is now..>
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013   #2
tf95ZR1

Default Re: Transmission Oil Change DIY

Great step-by-step.
Since my car is lowered, the drain plug is
ground down. I use a pump from the fill
hole, then fill as you mention.
Maybe another thought to consider when
you lower your car.
tf95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013   #3
Schrade

No snappics; no oil change.

just kiddin' there, RF; thanks for posting!
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013   #4
Racinfan83

I thought about takin some pics of it - but I didn't. Pretty self explanatory once you get to doin it...LOL
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Old 07-28-2013   #5
Schrade

No problem there RF...

Slowing the job down, and takin' snappics is good for lots of reasons...

Good for your own reference.
Good for re-sale.
Good for others' how-to.
Good ESPECIALLY for slowing it down, and thinking through whatever the task is - you 'see' stuff differently, see where stuff is, how it works, etc...

Thinking tasks through is good for problem analysis (although in this tranny-juice change task, it IS a pretty straightforward job)
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013   #6
emmvette

How did your tranny fluid look? Was it pretty clean or black? I just changed mine and it was actually fairly clean.
Old 07-30-2013   #7
Racinfan83

It was brown. About halfway between the normal oil color and "black". It drained out pretty quickly considering I did the job cold - so I assume it had thinned out quite a bit. My car has 18k miles on it - don't know if it had ever been changed before or not. The tranny is quieter now and definitely shifts better
Old 07-30-2013   #8
tf95ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmvette View Post
How did your tranny fluid look? Was it pretty clean or black? I just changed mine and it was actually fairly clean.
You can also "smell" the fluid. It can smell "burnt (burned?)"

Last edited by tf95ZR1; 07-30-2013 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Wanted 2
tf95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014   #9
ZRXMAX

I also use the hose and funnel method because its much easier to do as compared to pumping it in by hand.

The only thing different I do is top it off with Lucas synthetic oil stabilizer.

Saves me from having to buy another quart of the BWM ( break my wallet ) stuff.

Slightly off subject here comparing refined oil prices... even the new Penzoil synthetic made from natural gas is only $7.79 a quart. Perhaps that is an entry price scheduled for market testing and a bigger mark up later.

All the rating info on the bottle says. Exceeds the requirements of the following industry specifications. API SN and all previous catagories; ILSAC GF-5 Exceeds Chrysler M5 6395 & GM 6094M & GM 4718M
91 ZR-1 #661 Watsons, 3" exhaust, Borlas... Hurst, 4.11s, Samco, RD radiator, gel coated motor... turquise / black
ZRXMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014   #10
2ZR1S

I also use the hose with funnel for trans and rear. Works well on the rear oil also, just go over the passenger side wheel. I got a funnel with clear 3/4" hose from parts store.
Jon R. Member #490
1992 ZR-1 Arctic White/Red
2008 Z51 Silver 6 spd (Daily driver)
2ZR1S is offline   Reply With Quote