ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Racing > Professional Motor Sports

Old 09-22-2004   #1
gaijin

Default Joao Barbosa to Drive ACEMCO Saleen at Petit

Joao Barbosa to Drive ACEMCO Motorsports Saleen at Petit

Spring Lake, MI - Road racing veteran Joao Barbosa will join full time drivers Terry Borcheller and Johnny Mowlem in the number 63/ACEMCO Motorsports/Saleen S7-R GTS entry for the American Le Mans Series round of the Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta on September 25th.

Barbosa has a history behind the wheel of the Saleen S7-R having driven the number 8 Ray Mallock Limited Saleen in the FIA GT series at Hockenheim in May where he finished in second place.

"I've only been to Road Atlanta once, I did a test in early 97' when I was driving in the Formula Atlantic championship," said Barbosa. "I really don't remember much about the track and it has gone through some changes since then, but after the first laps everything will come back! I should get plenty of seat time during the week and I am very familiar with the Saleen S7-R, so I am looking forward to driving with Terry and Johnny and working with the ACEMCO guys."

"Joao brings a good deal of endurance racing experience," said Jeff Giangrande, team owner. "We wanted to bring in a driver that is familiar with the Saleen, and Joao gives us that experience. In addition, Johnny and Terry are comfortable with Joao so that completes the package. We are looking forward to Joao's input on the car and having a very competitive outing at Petit next week."

In 2004 Barbosa has competed in the full Le Mans Endurance Series, the 12 Hours of Sebring and the 24 Hours of Le Mans driving a LMP1 Dallara/Judd for Rollcenter Racing. Joao also did the FIA GT race at Hockenheim with RML Ltd. Team Saleen. He also has competed in a host of races in Grand Am driving a Maserati GT for the Scuderia Maserati of Washington.

The 29 year old Barbosa resides in Porto, Portugal with his wife Mariana and their son Rodrigo.

ACEMCO Automotive is based in Spring Lake, Michigan and is a leader in the engineering, manufacture and assembly of metal stampings for light trucks, SUVs and passenger cars.
gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote