ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-16-2012   #1
zr1nsxgto

Default Nitto's

Well I got the NT555 put on the car today and they look good, very good. The size is the same as the OEM contrary to what some here have reported. Took the car for a drive for the first time in 2 full years and immediately got pulled over. When I say immediately, it was within a half mile of my home. I was looking at the instrumentation, got close to the centerline, and exceeded the posted speed limit (35) by 10. Explained to the officer that the car 22 years old, has only 7000 miles, and has not been driven in 24 months. He smiled, looked the car over, went and checked my license and registration and sent me on my way with a "have a nice day". No foul. Nice cop.

Anyway, I am disappointed in how the Nitto's feel. The car feels super spongy. Don't know if the ride control might be to blame, but the tires feel very smooth, but sloppy when aggressively changing lanes. No where near as good as the original Gatorbacks. Hopefully there is something else contributing to the sloppy feel??? The tire pressure is spot on 45 PSI. Car feels like there is only 10 PSI in them. I'm gonna check the c-beam later.
zr1nsxgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012   #2
XfireZ51

Default Re: Nitto's

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1nsxgto View Post
Well I got the NT555 put on the car today and they look good, very good. The size is the same as the OEM contrary to what some here have reported. Took the car for a drive for the first time in 2 full years and immediately got pulled over. When I say immediately, it was within a half mile of my home. I was looking at the instrumentation, got close to the centerline, and exceeded the posted speed limit (35) by 10. Explained to the officer that the car 22 years old, has only 7000 miles, and has not been driven in 24 months. He smiled, looked the car over, went and checked my license and registration and sent me on my way with a "have a nice day". No foul. Nice cop.

Anyway, I am disappointed in how the Nitto's feel. The car feels super spongy. Don't know if the ride control might be to blame, but the tires feel very smooth, but sloppy when aggressively changing lanes. No where near as good as the original Gatorbacks. Hopefully there is something else contributing to the sloppy feel??? The tire pressure is spot on 45 PSI. Car feels like there is only 10 PSI in them. I'm gonna check the c-beam later.
I run my Nitto Invos at 35psi. 45 sound hi to me.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012   #3
VetteMed

45psi is quite high, I agree with Dom. 35psi is a more appropriate pressure.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012   #4
efnfast

Too much pressure in your tires will make them run only on the center of the tire, very small contact patch, and boy can they feel squirley.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012   #5
zr1nsxgto

I'vel lowered them down to 35, and it isn't much better. The car was scary to drive on the hard original Gatorbacks as it just would spin the tires at will. It now feels evil. I've driven Bayliners that felt more planted.
Old 06-16-2012   #6
efnfast

Drop 'em to 30? Concensus?
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012   #7
sammy

i run mine 34 in front and 30 in the back . i would definitely ck the c beam measurements per the factory service manual . something isnt right somewhere . or maybe your alignment is off .
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012   #8
4-cam

Somethings not right. I run my Nt555's @ 35 and the car feels planted! Rails around the corners and doesnt follow groves in the pavement like the old dried out stuff did.
[I]1991 ZR-1 Blk/Gry #31[/I]
[I]SW Headers/Xpipe- Dynomax Muffs[/I]
[I]Ported top end[/I]
[I]Secondaries Removed[/I]
Tune by Dominic
4-cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012   #9
VetteMed

alignment?
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012   #10
zr1nsxgto

C-beam is tight. Checked the tires again with a quage from the race shop and got them at 34 all around. Drove around for a while and flogged her good. Much better! My VDO tire pressure guage is way off!
The car feels good and the tires are quiet, and hook pretty good. Overall, I'm very happy with them. Driving the NSX and then driving the ZR1 back to back makes it difficult to evaluate how the new tires feel.
After a hour behind the wheel in the ZR-1 (it's been 2 full years since it was driven last) the fond memory of what the ZR-1 is all about came back. The car put a big smile on my face last night.