ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-13-2012   #1
rhipsher

Default One of these days.

I was talking to a friend of mine who owns his own vette shop. We used to hit the drag strip together. At that time my 90 Z was bone stock accept for the Borla. I was running 12.9's@113mph and his 1999 c5 automatic was running 12.165@116mph. Of course he had cams/heads and several mods. Basically my front bumper was lined up with his rear bumper when we crossed the 1/4 mile line. So he posts up a pic of his vette on facebook and I said I've seen that vette before. And he responded yea Ricky you were behind it Lol! I said not by much. After every run he's get his laptop out and start adjusting the timing and fuel ect and he'd have to let it cool down after every run. Not me. I just kept going with no over heating problems at all.

I even remember about a year before Arron bought that 1993 40th anniversary ruby Callaway super natural with only 15k on the clock for $38k at Corvettes of Houston. I was telling Terry about it after checking it out. And I could here the disdain in his voice about it. He said yea but it's going to take a special buyer that is looking specifically for a car like that. For that kinda money you could get a C5 or C6 with some mods that would just f%cking smoke it. So one of my goals in life is to be able to spank him good at the track one of these days. I would just love that. But I would have to get into the 11's to do it. He just built a 421ci stroker. So I'm sure it's going to run in the low 11's to high 10's or so he says.

Last edited by rhipsher; 06-13-2012 at 03:10 PM.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #2
Kevin

Default Re: One of these days.

time for the juice
Old 06-13-2012   #3
rhipsher

Time for a stroker. It takes a stroker to beat a stroker. It's just time to stop screwing around and join the 415 club. That's the only way it's going to happen. These guys have never been confronted with a 385 or 415 before. They've never even heard of one. To show up with one at the strip would be like having a visitor from another planet.

Last edited by rhipsher; 06-13-2012 at 03:36 PM.
Old 06-13-2012   #4
Daniel_Mc

With the stuff available now why not go 427 or 441

Daniel

BTW stroker for stroker isn't always right. The neighbor and myself took the ZR-1 (him driving) and the 89 of ours (me driving) out to "drive around" one night. The 89 is a 383 making 405 wheel (not great but not bad for an old L98). We ran several times and the result was the same almost every time. I would stomp him off the line each time then about the top of second I could hear that LT5 coming and he would put car lengths on me so quick it looked like I was tied to a pole! I don't know about 1/4 I have never really ran that before and what we were running was about 3/4 of a mile so I'm sure this is a big difference. But just my experience with it. FWIW I hope you get him.

Last edited by Daniel_Mc; 06-13-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Daniel_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #5
rhipsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_Mc View Post
With the stuff available now why not go 427 or 441

Daniel
I guess because the 385's and 415's have been around for a long time and I've never heard of one self destructing. The 427's and 441's are just to new and haven't been around long enough for me to trust there durability. Time will tell.
Old 06-13-2012   #6
Daniel_Mc

I was apprehensive but after talking to a few different owners in BG I feel they are just as durable if not more so with materials now than the 415's. If I did stroker it would most likely be 402 to keep the stock crank (cheaper) and retain some wall thickness.

Daniel
Daniel_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #7
rhipsher

They might be. And a 427 LT5 sounds tempting.
Old 06-13-2012   #8
cvette98pacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
I was talking to a friend of mine who owns his own vette shop. We used to hit the drag strip together. At that time my 90 Z was bone stock accept for the Borla. I was running 12.9's@113mph and his 1999 c5 automatic was running 12.165@116mph. Of course he had cams/heads and several mods. Basically my front bumper was lined up with his rear bumper when we crossed the 1/4 mile line. So he posts up a pic of his vette on facebook and I said I've seen that vette before. And he responded yea Ricky you were behind it Lol! I said not by much. After every run he's get his laptop out and start adjusting the timing and fuel ect and he'd have to let it cool down after every run. Not me. I just kept going with no over heating problems at all.

I even remember about a year before Arron bought that 1993 40th anniversary ruby Callaway super natural with only 15k on the clock for $38k at Corvettes of Houston. I was telling Terry about it after checking it out. And I could here the disdain in his voice about it. He said yea but it's going to take a special buyer that is looking specifically for a car like that. For that kinda money you could get a C5 or C6 with some mods that would just f%cking smoke it. So one of my goals in life is to be able to spank him good at the track one of these days. I would just love that. But I would have to get into the 11's to do it. He just built a 421ci stroker. So I'm sure it's going to run in the low 11's to high 10's or so he says.
That Ruby is really special and now C5 no matter how fast it is can replace it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012   #9
rhipsher

I don't think anybody would disagree with that. Not even him. But to guyss like him faster is more important than special models. So its time to get a blisteringly fast special model. And a stroked LT5 is my weapon of choice. May not be anywhere near stock anymore but it's still an LT5 ZR-1 and all they will understand is they got smoked hard wonder WTF just happened to my cammed with heads C5/C6. There will be no question that it's not stock but neither are theirs. So as far as I'm concerned it's a fair fight.
I don't hear many Stroker owners talk about their drag strip battles with C5's and C6's. And maybe they've already been there and done that and got it out of their system a long time ago. Who lnow.

Last edited by rhipsher; 06-13-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 06-13-2012   #10
carter200

Rick,
Remember the old saying "someone is always gonna be faster" Just enjoy what you have.

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
carter200 is offline   Reply With Quote