ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-19-2012   #1
gtabert

Default '96 Grand Sport Sold at Barrett Jackson

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/appli...&aid=443&pop=0

Check this out, results from the eveing of 1/18. Sad, I never liked the Grand Sport, really nothing special in my mind. $50,600??? WHY

We have something special and ours are worth nothing, at least in the monetary sense. To me it's worth more than the monetary value one puts on this car. I love my Z, had one new back in the day, got back into one recently after way too may years in the BMW ranks, and I could not be happier.
[FONT=Arial]'95 ZR-1 #143[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Comp. Yellow / Black[/FONT]
gtabert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #2
PhillipsLT5

Default Re: '96 Grand Sport Sold at Barrett Jackson

Sold at 46 + fees
Dave Ressler was in at 42 but then let it go
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #3
tomtom72

Why?
Could it be that there were 3032 1990 ZR-1's made? That is almost double the amount of the entire GS production, no? Or maybe our total production of 6922 units?

Or maybe it's because unless people actually come here and do some reading the myth of "no parts" persists?

Or the myth about "nobody knows how to work on that motor" persists unless they come to our house and read up on the facts?

Could it be 330 hp from a familiar push rod V8 is easier to internalize than 375 to 405 from something that looks "foreign"?

IDK why and I sometime get a bit mad about it. But then I respect anyone who collects rare cars of any type. They're car guys, and we all are the same save for what the object of our passion is. I mean no offense by this, but my first vette was a 72 LT-1 and I loved that car. If someone told me I could have my 72, not just any 72, back but I had to give up my Z....it would be no sale! But LT-1 cars are worth twice as much as my 90 Z. So be it, but I drive to BG for the Gathering every year for the last 3 yrs. Try that in a 72 LT-1 w/factory side exhaust & F41 suspension...oh and the A/C worked too! I say give me my 90 Z all day long. JMHO

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #4
avijay

Being a previous GS Owner #614

A total production number of 1000 and only 190 verts out of the 1000, hence the over inflated price. I was surprised at the price as well but they have the very limited number production on their side. I enjoyed the GS very much and still to this day regret selling it, likewise I love the Z too. The perfect solution for me is to eventually pick up another GS and have two bad *** C4's.
1996 Grand Sport - sold
1999 C5 - sold
1969 Mustang Mach1 - sold
1991 ZR-1 - sold

2008 Z06 - current
avijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #5
Daniel_Mc

WOW everyone on the GS list is commenting on how cheap that car went for... I wouldn't let my coupe go for that price! And that's my coupe in the pictures with it in the Sky Dome. Not a bad price @ 46K IMHO considering some red gutted verts were bringing +80K a few years ago.
Daniel_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #6
Kevin

amazing what a paint job will do for a price
Old 01-19-2012   #7
VetteMed

Can't understand how a paint job makes the car that much more valuable -- but the market is what it is. Even if the market decided that a base C4 was more desirable and valuable than the ZR-1, I'd still be driving mine at every opportunity.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012   #8
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteMed View Post
Can't understand how a paint job makes the car that much more valuable -- but the market is what it is. Even if the market decided that a base C4 was more desirable and valuable than the ZR-1, I'd still be driving mine at every opportunity.
Maybe it is a reflection on society? Certain people are more impressed by appearance and trying to impress others with it than they are about actual substance...or so it seems to this observer. I don't get it either.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #9
Torchred96

Guys, I think that people are genuinely afraid of the LT5. I consider myself pretty mechanically inclined, though not a mechanic, competent at researching the internet if need be, and a diy type guy. However, for years I avoided the higher cost of the z for the fear of the engine breaking down and having no resources. It was only through finding a deal I couldnt say no to and then researching here that made me change my mind. And I was a c4 zr-1 lover from the beginning!

I hate to stereotype and this crowd here excluded for the most part, But I don't think most people who can afford a 50k corvette (what our z's should be worth and more) are mechanically inclined. and they would rather spend the money on a newer corvette for the warranty and service.

Personally, I can't afford a low mileage z or even a used c6, but would rather have a high mileage z any day of the week than a newer c6 at any mileage. I remember it as being the best of the best, and to me it still is. But I feel that working on these cars is at least half the fun of owning them. So I got what I paid for and more Oh yeah, I loved my lt4 too..but I always knew that as good as it was, the KING was even better! And I always counted my lucky stars that I never ran up against one on the street...NEVER EVEN SAW ONE!

Last edited by Torchred96; 01-20-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Torchred96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012   #10
WB9MCW

"A total production number of 1000 and only 190 verts out of the 1000, hence the over inflated price." - The real reason

THE SECOND REASON IS THE SKUNK STRIPE

"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote