ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-02-2020   #1
Erik

Default How Important is High or Low Mileage on a ZR1?

Hi Gents.
As I’m doing my ZR-1 shopping, I’ve seen cars with mileages everywhere. Of course the ones with a few hundred miles, a few thousand, tens of thousands and some close to 100k.

So while I understand that condition and service history are the most important considerations, how worried are you guys about whether a car has high or low mileage.

Further, how high does mileage have to be to be considered high in the ZR-1 world?

Thanks!
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020   #2
Z51JEFF

Default Re: How Important is High or Low Mileage on a ZR1?

When I was in the market I wanted a low mileage car but most seem to want a car that’s got some miles on it.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020   #3
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF View Post
When I was in the market I wanted a low mileage car but most seem to want a car that’s got some miles on it.
Thanks, Jeff.
How do you define a low mileage car, as compared to one with some miles on it?
Old 05-03-2020   #4
efnfast

I just turned 100K with no worries. Oh, and buy one that already has 500 hp. I bought my car stock with 35K on it for 20 grand. Invested another 20 grand, now 530 hp. Know what it's worth? 20 grand.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020   #5
32valvZ

THEEE most important thing you should consider when buying a ZR-1 or any car really, is maintenance records and proof there of.... (ie receipts & or maintenance logs).

Dealers will usually not be able to provide these things, or very little information in regards to maintenance simply because it doesn't really matter to them, the idea is to make the sale & pay their bills. (this is not to say ALL dealers, there are specialty dealers that are more enthusiasts than salesmen, but only a few)

I purchased both of my ZR-1s from fellow forum members and both were enthusiasts. Both were out of state purchased and based on pictures and phone calls. I can say with that, I received exactly what was described. No surprises, no tricks or hidden bull crap....

Included were original parts removed, tools, memorabilia and stacks of receipts. In both cases for my 92 & my current 90, I feel like I actually received more than I paid for.

You see that I haven't spoken about miles yet. The LT-5 engine was hand assembled with some very close tolerances. Much care was put into the assembly of each engine by the folks at Mercruiser in Stillwater OK.

Major engine failures are few and far between... in fact, I really have not seen more than 1 and that was a member who had a head gasket failure on a heavily raced engine. I think it was Ron Kreig if memory serves.

The bottom line is miles on an LT-5 really dont matter especially when you can buy from a forum member and enthusiast. The enthusiast will be delighted to give you all the paper work and sit and talk with you about all that has been done to the car.

The bonus part of buying from an enthusiast is in addition to the maintenance records, you will probably have a car that has had some if not all of the normal ZR-1 issues addressed and some modifications to help with the smile factor when you drive it.

If I were in your shoes, the car I would most consider would be the blue one that FU has for sale. I am not friends with the guy and I only know him through the many years of being on this and the other forum. That said, I would give him a call and see what he has to say.

This is only one guys perspective and experiences.... Good Luck in your search and with whatever car you choose.

[B]1990 #2815[/B]
[COLOR="Red"][B]Red/Red[/B][/COLOR]
Ported Plenum & IH (by Pete)
Haibeck Chip
Rebuilt FPR (by Phil)
FIC Injectors
Watson LT Headers
3" Stainless Works exhaust
Lingenfelter Open Air Lid
Bill B Built Transmission
Shifter & C Beam Plates

[FONT=Impact][COLOR=red]1992 [COLOR=black]#[/COLOR] 091[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Impact][COLOR=#ff0000]Red/[COLOR=silver]Gray[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
[B]SOLD[/B]

Last edited by 32valvZ; 05-03-2020 at 08:52 AM.
32valvZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020   #6
dredgeguy

I have 98,600 miles on mine and would not think twice about driving cross country with it. As stated by 32valvZ, get a car from a forum member that can show you the history and background for the car. Go with the color you want and condition. I would not be concerned about mileage, the LT5 is bullet proof.

1992 Bright Red/Black ZR1 #246
Dana 4:10 gears
Polished LT5 by Haibeck
Polished Fikse FM5's with Michelin Pilot Sport 2
Stainless Works headers and cats with Corsa
dredgeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020   #7
We Gone

I would look for a car that has been driven on average 200-1000 miles a year.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020   #8
Carnutdallas

I have said car for sale. 24k miles 1990. Lots of Docs. Full Pizza Box. Red/Blk. Pretty Much NCRS top flight accept for tires. Happy Hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Carnutdallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020   #9
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnutdallas View Post
I have said car for sale. 24k miles 1990. Lots of Docs. Full Pizza Box. Red/Blk. Pretty Much NCRS top flight accept for tires. Happy Hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Which car is that?
Old 05-03-2020   #10
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredgeguy View Post
I have 98,600 miles on mine and would not think twice about driving cross country with it. As stated by 32valvZ, get a car from a forum member that can show you the history and background for the car. Go with the color you want and condition. I would not be concerned about mileage, the LT5 is bullet proof.
Good info. Thanks!