ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

View Poll Results: R U a WAXER or R U a WARRIOR??
I never race. The car seldom sees 6000 rpm; 6500 max 12 25.00%
I seldom go much over 6500, almost never hit the limiter 13 27.08%
Mine gets to 7000 rpm often some limited track time 16 33.33%
Often hammer mine: well above 7200 rpm (cut-off moved to 7600+ 7 14.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-11-2013   #1
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Waxer or Warrior: POLL

Try this again...

Curious to know how y'all drive your Zs. I assumed all Z drivers hammered then on a regular basis. Apparently NOT.

So, lets take a poll, just for fun!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #2
We Gone

Default Re: Waxer or Warrior: POLL

Need one more Mine hits 7K every-time I drive it no track time.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #3
efnfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Gone View Post
Same situation, quick Paul, start a new poll.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #4
JThomas

I'm not a warrior, but I don't consider myself a waxer either. I purchased it for the historical piece that it is, The REL1C.
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #5
Racinfan83

Quote:
Originally Posted by We Gone View Post
That's me too. I voted for #2 just because it was closest...
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #6
Vetman

I voted # 1 because I don't race on any street, however it does see 6000 on occasion just to keep things working. I almost never slam through the gears.... just love driving it. I owned a 68, AC 427 mint condition roadster for a number of years, also a 69, 427-400 also in mint conditon, but my Z drives so much better and no corvette tops its historical heritage!!! none. Just need to find an excuse to drive it more.
2011 cts-v 556 HP, manual 6 speed
1955 chev 2dr ht PP 265 3 speed w/OD
Vetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #7
Schrade

Just a tuner wannabe?
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #8
edram454

I like waxing it. dont race much any more but I can be provoked. I have a drag racing history and license but those days are gone. dont enjoy the breakage with that sport so I just enjoy the ride.. but if some punk makes a manuever and yanks my chain, I become John Force in no time. Even my Zr1 is not as fast as my C5 I am selling, I enjoy the car more. That is why I am keeping it. It has good mods and runs very well just not as fast as my C5. 400 rwhp to the wheels compared to 525 rwhp?? no comparison. I will keep my z forever or until I sell, which are not in the plans. If I do sell, it will be my last Corvette. At least I will end with a bang!
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013   #9
rhipsher

This poll is an either or poll which just doesn't work for me because I'm both. I'm a warrior that likes to rip but I also am anal about keeping it clean. So I guess I am a waxer warrior. Your never going to see a speed like this with your ZR-1 in the 1/4 mile anyway unless you had the balls to push it like I have.

I have yet to see fewer than a hand full that have done much beyond the 1/4 mile. Just saying.

Last edited by rhipsher; 12-12-2013 at 12:01 AM.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #10
Meanmyz

I voted for the second option from the top.

There seems to be some negative connotations from the warrior crowd about waxers. Why?

I am a waxer... and proud of it. I love automotive art on wheels. I've been known to sweat the details. I do love a car that looks nice. (Although....I will say, I think it is a little nutz about some of those Zaino types that have put 10 coats of something on their car) -but, its their car! If that's how they derive enjoyment from ownership, then more power to them. I respect that.

I would like to think a person can be both...a waxer and a warrior. I am fortunate enough to have two Z's, (and caretaker of a third). Every time the Z's get driven, the power key is "ON". And everytime they are, I consider it a duty , to excercise the secondaries...maybe not everytime to 6500+, but as others stated, our cars tend to run better when they are excercised frequently into secondary territory.

Just a sidenote to those that don't "wind up" their cars for fear of abusing them...Even when comparing the LT5 to the newer Vettes with higher HP ratings, I think the LT5 is far closer to an out and out "race motor". Especially as durability is concerned.

While most so called factory "performance" motors have been built to handle durabilty quite well from stressing them, prolonged and repeated abuse tends to take a toll on their longevity.

IMHO, not so much with the LT5. No, I don't beat my LT5's like dogs...I respect them too much and have too much waxer in me. But the reality is, these motors crave rpm's and cars whose motors are excercised periodically, tend to run better.

I have read on these forums over the years about guys who have over 100,000 miles (+) on their ZR-1's and in their totally stock configurations are putting out more horsepower and running better than at a tenth of their original mileage!

So, don't be afraid to "let 'er buck"!

Last edited by Meanmyz; 12-12-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Meanmyz is offline   Reply With Quote