ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-18-2012   #1
Tyler Townsley

Default DIC Illumination.

My DIC does not illuminate. When you turn the key to the start position it lights up like it should but in run position it does not. Is there key on position/switch in the switch that turns on the ckt.

Tyler
68 Torch Red
88 ZR1 Blue
90 ZR1 White
Tyler Townsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #2
VetteMed

Default Re: DIC Illumination.

Tyler, which lamp in the DIC are you referring to? Is it all of them (none are operational while engine running)?
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #3
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteMed View Post
Tyler, which lamp in the DIC are you referring to? Is it all of them (none are operational while engine running)?
What about the MY90 Full Engine Power light?
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #4
VetteMed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Yeah, that's the only thing I could think of too...

The ECM lights that lamp, I believe, but a fault with the full power key switch could probably cause the light to fail to illuminate.
Old 05-18-2012   #5
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Yeah, that's the only thing I could think of too...

The ECM lights that lamp, I believe, but a fault with the full power key switch could probably cause the light to fail to illuminate.
Yep that's my thought as well. Any other light beyond startup is always a bad thing reguardless of MY. The Op will have to let us know.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012   #6
Tyler Townsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Did not check that. The secondary throttle plates have been removed and am running Tods hack that turns on both injectors full time. Not sure if the power light ckt was disabled by Corey when he rebuilt the engine. As I said when you turn it to start the DIC does light. Does the power to the DIC light branch off the power ckt before the switch that turns it on?

The DIC is not lit by the bulbs is it? Its some kind of led ckt?Thanks.

Tyler
68 Torch Red
88 ZR1 Blue
90 ZR1 White

Last edited by Tyler Townsley; 05-18-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-19-2012   #7
VetteMed

Tyler, I'm confused. What DIC light are you referring to?
Old 05-19-2012   #8
Tyler Townsley

Quote:
Tyler, I'm confused. What DIC light are you referring to?
The square that displays the speed/fuel/mpg is backlit so you can see the information. It is a single device that goes bad. The car has been off the road for 5+ years and just before I took it off the road I replaced the dash cluster with one from a 91 are they compatable?

Tyler
68 Torch Red
88 ZR1 Blue
90 ZR1 White
Old 05-19-2012   #9
VetteMed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Townsley View Post
The square that displays the speed/fuel/mpg is backlit so you can see the information. It is a single device that goes bad. The car has been off the road for 5+ years and just before I took it off the road I replaced the dash cluster with one from a 91 are they compatable?

Tyler
I was thinking about that on the way in to work this morning, perhaps you meant the LCD speedometer display. Usually the "DIC" refers to the cluster of telltale lamps above the HVAC control unit.

The 90 and 91 are compatible as far as I know. There are 2 #194 bulbs behind the panel, if it is just not lit up, but the LCD segments are still working.

If the LCD segments are not working, but the backlights are still illuminated, then I'd pull the cluster and check the connections for the LCD, it's a series of pins that insert into a ribbon cable. You have to remove the clear lens, then the analog gauges, before you can remove the LCD.

A little clean up of the contacts with a mild abrasive like a fine brass brush or a pencil eraser might help.

It is possible that you might need a 90 specific unit, but I really didn't think there was any difference until 92.

Andrew