ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Racing > Professional Motor Sports

Old 12-20-2004   #1
gaijin

Default Q&A With Rob Dyson

Q&A With Rob Dyson of Dyson Racing

ALMS Special Feature 12-20-2004

Braselton, Ga. - Few people in sports car, or any form of, racing are as passionate about the sport as Rob Dyson. The patriarch of Dyson Racing has enjoyed a longstanding relationship with his drivers, one of whom is his son Chris; his crew, most of whom have been with him a long while; and the fans around the American Le Mans Series circuits. Dyson Racing has been a force since the 1980s, and Rob Dyson recently reflected on a number of changes that will hopefully propel the team into victory lane more frequently in the 2005 season. One major move is a change in tires. The blue-and-white No. 16 and No. 20 Thetford P1 prototype machines will henceforth be shod in Michelin products.

Q: How did the team's change to Michelin come about?

A: "We had been loosely talking with Michelin for a while. We'd seen what was going on with them, and what we were up against, trying to surmount the problems that Michelin's ongoing technology efforts had created for us.

"Ultimately we stepped up the conversations and found that we could work with them on a mutually agreeable arrangement."

Q: What, in your mind, stands out about Michelin's tire technology?

A: "I think their ability to respond to racing efforts of various kinds, various formats, and that is the result of a broad-based effort. It starts with Formula One and works out from that. The F1 effort washes over their other efforts. [Being involved in several forms of racing] is a key component of the equation for them."

Q: You tested a few weeks ago at Sebring with the new tires. What did you discover?

A: "The initial findings were what we had thought. The consistency of the tires from the first lap to the last lap in the stint. Double stint the tires and yet maintain an active, consistent pace. We had known they could do that [double stint] and the test confirmed that. We also found that we could make some changes to the car to make our car work a little bit better with these tires over the course of the session."

Q: How did your drivers James Weaver, Butch Leitzinger, Andy Wallace and son Chris react?

A: "Overall, they were pleased. There was some initial trepidation about whether or not we'd made a mistake, but they each know now that we made the right decision competitively."

Q: How do you handle the time demands associated with the team to those of your company in New York City?

A: "Well, I stay busy, but I always seem to have time for the race team. That's the best way to put it."

Q: What other changes have you or will you be making to your two cars?

A: "We are working right now on some developmental things to improve the performance. Right now the cars are going through a complete rebuild. We are taking them down to absolutely nothing, taking every part off the car and then working on the finished product."

Q: Will the driver combination from last year be the same in 2005?

A: "Yes, it'll be Butch and James {#16} and Andy and Chris {#20}. For the longer races, we may shift that around some, not sure about it right at the moment. I kind of feel like Casey Stengel with the Yankees in the mid-50s. It was the same lineup every day. All he had to do was go up and present the lineup card to the umpires.

"Throughout the team, we have a great bunch of guys who are cohesive, active, smart, detailed, loyal and highly competent. Every aspect of our team is as good as it gets."

Q: Any thoughts on the upcoming season?

A: "I'm elated that we are back in the ALMS, and we're looking forward to a very competitive season. To put on a good show for the fans who can watch something we've been doing for many, many years.

"I hope we will be more competitive. Our objective is always to win races and win championships, and the changes we have made all fit into that effort."
gaijin is offline   Reply With Quote