ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Off Topic > OFF TOPIC

Old 09-22-2013   #1
scottfab

Exclamation personal info security

Related to the recent suggestion that the club share info with such organizations as "linkedin".

http://www.youtube.com/embed/F7pYHN9iC9I?rel=0

Rather than tell you what qualifies me to know this stuff and what I worked on for a very large company why not just watch this and let is sink in.
After that you may seriously want to purposely skew your personal info a bit to at least thow off the low budget id thieves. The high budget and government guys will get the info regardless but not likely to bother with your funds because you're not worth it. The high budget thieves target financial institutions and companies. Bigger payday for them.

I share this info here because I care about the people in this group.
How to skew your info (on all the various clubs, groups, social media, etc)
1. vary your name slightly (Richard vs Dick or slight mispelling)
2. Never use your real birth day
3. Have at least two phones. Use one as a junk phone for when a phone # is required.
4. NEVER volunteer your real address unless required. And even then if it's not used to deliver something or to verify who you are then skew it.
5. If you're using such things as LinkedIn for a job search skew your data after you secure a job. (this is a HUGE security risk since you are voluntarily letting any so called "employer" look at you private data.
6. DO NOT use the "family" feature of social media. This feature allows hackers access to who your kids are and thereby their info. From there they can get your info from your kids (they are more naive)
7. Use alias email accounts for signing up for most everything on the net. (except financial stuff)
8. be careful sharing even where you went to school or the place you work on social media. You can list is buy only make it visible to family.
9. Always seriously question ANYONEs need to know you SS # even the last four digets. Ask if there is another way for them to confirm you ID. You may still need to tell them but do your due diligence first.

Conclusion: the new "power" of the modern word is your information. Guard it as if it were the family jewels because it is. Don't let clubs you are in share you info with other organizations!

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #2
nelson007

Default Re: personal info security

I agree 100%

Nelson007
nelson007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013   #3
efnfast

Default Re: personal info security

I don't think I need this club to share my info, thank you.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote