ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-02-2011   #1
HAWAIIZR-1

Default Installing catalytic converters with SW headers

Well, years ago when I bought my SW headers I don't remember there being all the options they have now as well as exhaust systems (I'm talking about 7 years ago) and now that it is arriving in Japan next week I am trying to find somewhere to install some bullet cats that I bought years ago, but never got around to installing.

The headers that I have might be considered "long tube" for lack of a better term and I see no issues to install the cat on the passenger (right) side, but very limited for space on the driver (left) side if I want to keep a bolt on configuration.

One option is to buy another set of headers like this one, but I don't really want another set, especially at the price and cost of shipping. Realistically need only one side, but doubt if SW sells it that way and then not sure about tuning since one side will be shorter than the other in design too. It would be somewhat bolt on though.

The problem is I was not able to resolve this before leaving with 30 day notice and my motor was not even running until 1 week prior to shipping it. I could not find a reputable shop in Hawaii after the first bad experience to get the current system connected without cats a few years ago.

These are older photos but basically how the system looks now.

I will continue to seek a shop locally to do the exhaust work and I know they exist here, but "lost in translation" is what I am fearing so far and no luck. With all the speed shops around I thought it would be easy and will probably have to venture closer to Tokyo area. They charge an arm and a leg for labor it seems and I don't know if the guy at Autobacs misuderstood me or not, but told my wife it would be about $1000 US to install two bullet cats.........GTFOOH!

Has anyone has had success installing cats to the SW headers (longer version) and managed to still be able to bolt on versus just weld as one piece that I see as very inconvenient to do any work in the future? I do all the work myself and on my back with limited space so it needs to be easy to remove the system.

Please share any photos available for some ideas and I might have a better chance showing a local shop photos of what I want and expect with the language barrier. The Z brothers here live too far away and I will get 5 day plates that have to be renewed every 5 days until I can get the Z to a point where it can be inspected and emissions testing. This is really going to be a bear to do all this and $5K later, but it will be worth it when I can drive the Z all over this country and tour with the Z brothers.
Thanks in advance. Otherwise all is going well here and tomorrow my daily driver 2002 Audi A3 Sportback wagon will arrive to my work place.

1995 #228 Black/Black with Dunn Heads
ZR-1 owner since September 2003
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #0074
NCM Lifetime Member #2048

Last edited by HAWAIIZR-1; 04-02-2011 at 10:25 PM.
HAWAIIZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011   #2
Gunny

Default Re: Installing catalytic converters with SW headers

Craig,

Click on this link for the install pics of my SW headers. Corey Henderson did the install ... he is very talented with welding and making things fit. The 3" bullet cats attached to the headers using a slip fit & clamps and the front exhaust pipes attached to the back end of the bullets using a V-clamp. The exhaust is a 2.75 Borla Challenger so there is a reduction from 3 to 2.75 after the bullets. There are several pics. If you need the higher res versions, shoot me an email and I'll send 'em to you. Good luck on the install.

George
Founding Member #14
www.zrwon.com
Gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011   #3
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuband View Post
Craig,

Click on this link for the install pics of my SW headers. Corey Henderson did the install ... he is very talented with welding and making things fit. The 3" bullet cats attached to the headers using a slip fit & clamps and the front exhaust pipes attached to the back end of the bullets using a V-clamp. The exhaust is a 2.75 Borla Challenger so there is a reduction from 3 to 2.75 after the bullets. There are several pics. If you need the higher res versions, shoot me an email and I'll send 'em to you. Good luck on the install.

George
Hi George,

Thanks a lot and this will help a lot. That is nice work and I wish I had access to Corey Henderon. When I have to leave Japan I really want to get a job at Fort Sam Houston so I can be in his neighborhood. Thanks for sharing the pics and I might get some higher res versions from you so I can show them what I would like. Please say hello to the missus too.

Craig

Old 04-03-2011   #4
Scrrem

Craig,
Here is the system I just put on mine w/ Stainless Works headers, David tells me that Mark H. did the welding job.
Rich
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02738.jpg (70.9 KB, 59 views)
1990 Bright Red Coupe #608

380 Stroker, Ported Heads/Intake/Housings/TB
Haibeck Secondary Delete Chip / Pete's Cams
George Braml Intake / FIC Injectors
Coated SW Headers / Corsa
Bill Boudreau B/B ZF6 / Viper 4.10 gears
Ron Davis Radiator
Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH NAV
Fikse FM5's 285 / 335 / C6 Brakes

WAZOO Member

Last edited by Scrrem; 04-03-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Scrrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011   #5
HAWAIIZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrrem View Post
Craig,
Here is the system I just put on mine w/ Stainless Works headers, David tells me that Mark H. did the welding job.
Rich
Rich,

Thanks for sharing and if you have a high res photo I would appreciate it via email. Sorry, I moved from Hawaii before you could visit again and it all happened so fast. I'll find out in a few weeks if I will be coming to your neck of the woods in May.

Thanks,

Craig