ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 12-30-2017   #1
Saoirse32

Default Need Guidance ASAP!!!!

Hi All,
New to the corvette world, owning a few Porsche Turbos. I have my eye on a ZR-1 that is coming for sale. I’d like to do a pre purchase inspection before purchase. Can you learned men suggest any solid places? The local dealer was a suggestion but I’m loathe to go there. Thanks in advance. I was advised to post in the forum from good members of corvetteforum. I’m in Orange County.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saoirse32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017   #2
Saoirse32

Default Re: Pre-Purchase inspection in OC, CA

For reference, this is the one...

http://www.dcmotorcars.com/vehicle-d...ca-id-18398714

Old 12-30-2017   #3
A1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saoirse32 View Post
For reference, this is the one...

http://www.dcmotorcars.com/vehicle-d...ca-id-18398714

The car in the link has 353 miles on it. What are your plans for this car? It also appears in the pictures that the car is running and it has the INFL REST light and SERVICE ENGINE SOON lights on. The INFL REST is pretty common to the 90 model year. Usually this code can be cleared. Not sure why the SES light might be on.

If you are looking for a collector car this could be good buy, if you are looking for a driver, I would keep looking. Lots of low mile (not 353 miles) cars available that have been all sorted out.
90 ZR-1 #2562 Atomic-Z
ZR-1 Net Registry Chairman of the Board
ZR-1 Net Registry Treasurer
A1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017   #4
DRM500RUBYZR-1

OP
In case you missed the answer over on the other forum:

With 300 miles on a 90, it will likely need:
1-fuel pumps and sender, as I bet the existing one has so much rust you will need to clean the tank bottom.
2- 16 injectors
3- tires for driving
4- new fluids, all

it obviously has been running as it has been emssions tested at least three times in the last year, so that tells me a lot, and it's all good, except perhaps for the last fail, but if original injectors, not surprised

The car is priced such that the above work once done still leaves it very well bought.

Good luck; NICE find!
Move ahead.
Write the check.

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017   #5
Saoirse32

My plans, though in their beginning stages, are mixed. Much like the 930 I purchased in 2005, and 996TTS I bought almost two years ago now, I look for well-sorted cars that I anticipate will increase in value AND be driven sometimes (but not used as daily drivers). I’m not close to a collector but have gotten “lucky” with the cars I’ve chosen over the years.

Old 12-30-2017   #6
Ccmano

This car is not what I would call “sorted”. Wrote this over on CF...

The SES and Infl Rest lights are on. With the SES light on the secondaries won’t work, no “full power”. That may be the reason the light is on. You will need someone who knows what their doing to sort that out unless your a “get your own hands dirty” kind of person. There is more than enough info here and over on ZR1.net forum to resolve that. The infl rest light is normally easy to resolve for someone willing to look up the issue and follow simple directions.

If you plan to drive the car expect other things to happen. Oil leaks, ac issues and such. Cars can’t sit for 27 years and then suddenly be perfect.

The price is reasonable but for that money I would want a car with no issues and in full running condition.

$26 - $27K would be where I would feel comfortable knowing it will need work.

Btw, DC is not far from Corvette Mike. Maybe you can take it there for an inspection.

Good luck.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017   #7
Hog

I'd be curious to see the engine run hour meter on a car like this. I'd bet it has high engine run hours for only 383 miles. Could be a simple fix(night need an Italian tune-up), or a not so simple fix.
Idling, esp. without a good drive hurts engines, O2 sensors, cats.
These cars were meant to be driven, not started then half warmed up, then shut down and not driven.
Draining fuel, preserving the fuel system and fogging the engine goes a long way for the long term, "park in the garage and admire" type cars. But many of these types of cars have owners that like to at least start them up and rev them when the friends come over. Hard to blame them.

I wonder what the mood would be if this was a 448 production per year and 405hp 93, 94 or esp. a 95 car?

EDIT It has 383 miles, not 358 miles that I originally wrote.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494

Last edited by Hog; 12-30-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017   #8
PhillipsLT5

Time capsule, maybe avail for 25 to 28 K, missing license plate holder/frame in pic, maybe dealer has it?
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017   #9
Performawheels

Just my .02 cents, but when I was looking for mine, the search began and ended with cars listed in the registry for sale section....bought from a member of this site, a ZR-1 enthusiast and original owner. It was great getting the detailed service and ownership history. Good luck in your search. I live in Corona and attend the Cars and Coffee event at Saleen Motorsports most Saturday’s (once a month it’s Porsche Day sponsored by Walter’s Porsche and the local Porsche Club). I’ll be making the Tour D’Orange run this New Years Day as well.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Performawheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017   #10
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Performawheels View Post
I live in Corona and attend the Cars and Coffee event at Saleen Motorsports most Saturday’s (once a month it’s Porsche Day sponsored by Walter’s Porsche and the local Porsche Club). I’ll be making the Tour D’Orange run this New Years Day as well.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
If you like to drive hook up with the “Block” group. Especially for the “Tour D’Orange”. All corvette and they do a monthly drive. The drive is all there is with this group. Had some good fun with these guys.
H

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...of-orange.html
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.

Last edited by Ccmano; 12-30-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote