ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-14-2007   #1
tomtom72

Default Brake Rotors

I know I'm gonna get stoned for this but I was looking at NAPA's replacement rotors for my 90Z....just stock stuff. Everyone says that their stuff is good for the street and even if you get a little rambuncious on the twisties their stuff is just as good as OEM stuff.

I found this place on line called Rotors online.com and they have a house brand that they are doing a clearance on...drilled & slotted....for the same price that my local NAPA store wants for stock replacements.

What would you do? I know in my heart that the rotors online stuff can not be made in the USA....I think maybe I'll call them & ask.

P.S. Jeff don't yell at me! I can't bring myself to do the C5 pkg...I did something else that may help my C4 brakes..... And I'm liking my salad shooters enough to get another set of tires...something for the dry.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007   #2
Jeffvette

Default Re: Brake Rotors

In stock C4 sizes, I've had good luck in the past with KVR rotors. they were slotted and drilled and they had no problems lasting through track days. i think i did 4 or so on them. When I removed them there still weren't any fissures or stress cracks between the holes.

They were reasonably priced as well, but this was back in 01.
Old 11-14-2007   #3
Jeffvette

Forgot to add, I've been playing with some rotors from DBA (Disc Brake Australia). Performreally good, look good. Available in different configurations. Not bad at all.

Last edited by Jeffvette; 11-14-2007 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-14-2007   #4
tomtom72

Thanks Jeff! I'm gonna call these guys & if they stand behind their stuff I will buy a set....they want $200.00 shipping included for all four!

They'll look nice with my GS calipers from DRM.....with the s/s pistons...

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
Old 11-14-2007   #5
gbrtng

I've been getting my AC Delco rotors from The Last Detail - at least they had the best prices a few years ago. The NAPA parts are probably OK, but I'd be leary of stuff from Brazil, Tibet, Crapistan or other off-shore places.
Old 11-16-2007   #6
Bell Curve

What is the difference between these

1988-1996 Chevrolet Corvette C4 HD

1997-2004 Chevrolet Corvette C5/Z06 Brake Package

http://www.rotorsonline.com/
Bell Curve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007   #7
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell Curve

1988-1996 Chevrolet Corvette C4 HD
13x1.1"

Quote:
1997-2004 Chevrolet Corvette C5/Z06 Brake Package
12.9x1.25
Old 11-22-2007   #8
tomtom72

Just thought I'd do a follow up for anyone that might be interested & or be in need of rotors at this time.

I bought the C4/J55(big brake option) rotors from rotorsonline.com. They list the set, all four, as the HD C4 package and the price is $200.00 shipped.

Okay I have yet to put them on the car so this is a visual evaluation only.

The slots are as wide as the pad, no wider or longer depending on your word choice.
The holes are chamfered and none of them are carelessly placed too close & or thru any vanes! The chamfers remind me of the fillet radaii on my LT-1's crank journals....very soft edges indeed! My guess is this machine work was done with the blanks still hot?...fine surfaces everywhere, even inside the holes.
They say that you can do one re-cut.
The stuff is zinc washed....but I'm gonna paint the hubs on both sides.
This is a guess on my part....they look a lot like the Power stop rotors from raybestos except for the two lines of holes inbetween the slots, and the zinc wash.
They feel as heavy as the OEM stuff on my Z. I can't find any stamping as to where they were made but I'm still looking. I don't know that it means anything, just threw that in!

Soooo, for the same price that NAPA stock replacement rotors would have cost me these parts seem to be a very fair value, so far. I don't know when I'll put then on the car. After I do, I will report my impressions of any issues that come up....I don't think that I'll be able to tell you that "man these stop waaay better"......I just don't know how I could say anything definitive about that.

Tom
Old 11-22-2007   #9
DaveK

Thanks for the update Tom. They sound like a good deal.
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007   #10
32valvZ

So Tom, did you order the C4 HD set for $150. + shipping? ($50.) They look nice in the ad. I'd love to hear your feedback on them once you actually use them....I'm in need of a set & pads too.

Also, with 45k miles on my car, would anyone suggest I replace or rebuild the calipers/MC??
TIA
32valvZ is offline   Reply With Quote