ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-15-2015   #1
Billy Mild

Default Service Ride Control light reset

This is the last warning light I have to deal with on my ZR-1. A while back there were no codes. I looked at all the actuators on top of the shocks. They appear to all work when the key is turned. Currently I am getting a code for the passenger side actuator. I am using the ground out method to pull codes. I checked this actuator and the driver side up front and they both appear to move. I also made sure both knobs turn freely and they do.

I tried to ground out the pins to reset the code, but was unsuccessful. May not have the proper timing. I unplugged the battery to see if that would reset the light, and it did not. Any suggestions? Where are the actuators for the rear shocks?
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015   #2
RussMcB

Default Re: Service Ride Control light reset

Not sure if this will help much, but some thoughts:

I was able to reset mine with a paperclip last month. I do remember it took a few tries. Not sure why. It was a bit frustrating, but then it worked and I moved on.

Perhaps you can swap the actuators from side to side and see if you get the same or a different code. That might tell you if the problem is with the passenger actuator or passenger shock.

The rear actuators are on top of the shocks (like in the front). You need to remove the rear shocks to access them. Removal is pretty easy. One big nut on the bottom and two (12mm?) bolts on top.

My problem was I didn't have the top rubber mounts squished the right amount, so the shock rod was not at the right height to mate with the actuator. I found an article by Hib on the internet that helped me get it right.
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015   #3
Billy Mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
Not sure if this will help much, but some thoughts:

I was able to reset mine with a paperclip last month. I do remember it took a few tries. Not sure why. It was a bit frustrating, but then it worked and I moved on.

Perhaps you can swap the actuators from side to side and see if you get the same or a different code. That might tell you if the problem is with the passenger actuator or passenger shock.

The rear actuators are on top of the shocks (like in the front). You need to remove the rear shocks to access them. Removal is pretty easy. One big nut on the bottom and two (12mm?) bolts on top.

My problem was I didn't have the top rubber mounts squished the right amount, so the shock rod was not at the right height to mate with the actuator. I found an article by Hib on the internet that helped me get it right.
Where was the Hib article at?
Old 06-15-2015   #4
Billy Mild

Will a code get thrown if the shock is bad?
Old 06-15-2015   #5
RussMcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
Where was the Hib article at?
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/c4/fx3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
Will a code get thrown if the shock is bad?
My guess is it would only throw a code if the actuator couldn't rotate the rod as expected.

The article linked above is a pretty good write-up of how the system works.
Old 06-15-2015   #6
Kevin

if you start the car 3 or 4 times without driving it, it will set a code
Old 06-16-2015   #7
Billy Mild

I have taken the top front actuators off the shocks. Both of them move like they should.

I did find a broken shock gear on top of my right shock today.

So that explains why my car is through a code 32, but not the code 31. What are my next steps to clearing these codes or finding the issue?

The FSM just says to replace the suspect actuator. http://www.captainzcnc.com/index.html So I guess a rebuild is in order for the front actuators, and 1 new shock gear?

Last edited by Billy Mild; 06-16-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-17-2015   #8
RussMcB

If the FSM suspects an LF actuator, I'd try swapping the front pair of actuators from side to side to see if the code changes to 31.

I might also try swapping the front shocks to see if that made a difference. Those two steps should tell you if the shocks or actuators are all good or not.

Are you able to clear the codes in between steps so you know you are not reading old history?
Old 06-17-2015   #9
Billy Mild

So my car is throwing code 31 and 32. I get the why code 32 is being thrown right now since the gear is broken and doesn't limit how far the actuator will go.

I have tried to reset the codes by unplugging the battery overnight. That didn't help clear the service ride control light. I may try swapping the actuators. I did check to make sure when the key is cycled that the actuators moved and they do currently.

I will replace the shock gear and hope for the best. Any suggestions on how to time the grounding of the plug to reset the SRC light.
Old 06-17-2015   #10
mike100

The service ride control light will set if you have more than 3 engine starts and no vehicle VSS (speed signal from transducer in the trans). You have to drive the car (even if up on jacks) like 4 mph to clear that condition.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote