ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-26-2012   #1
Blue Flame Restorations

Default Grandfather to the LT5!

I'm proud to say that I was given the task of supplying the correct drivetrain for the restoration of 1953 #029. For those of you that don't know, I run my own restoration business, restoring mainly 1953-55 Corvettes for BG and NCRS customers. I'm currently on my tenth 1953 restoration and feel blessed to be having so much fun.

Here is a short video of the mighy Blue Flame Six in action.

Not a ZR-1 but remember, if it weren't for the Blue Flame, there would never have been a ZR-1!!

Enjoy

View My Video
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #2
vilant

Default Re: Grandfather to the LT5!

Pretty cool, nice job
1990 Bright Red ZR-1 #2599
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #3
USAFPILOT

so whats harder to find parts for?
1994 #293 ZR-1 Stainless Works Long Tube Headers, B&B catback w/ X-Pipe, 18" Shelby Series One Wheels, SLP CAI.
USAFPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #4
efnfast

Thanks Brett, I enjoy finding out who these people are at the registry. I run a small family business that my grandfather started in 1936. If you have a well at your house for your water, that's what we do. -Steve
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #5
A26B

My brother-in-law is in the same business. He bought his first rig, a really junky old thing, & told me if I would help him drill a well for his first customer, he would drill a new well for me (35ft deep). Ahh the good ol days.

Whoops! Sorry Brett, you've heard about how us old folks digress.

I've been self employed most of my life & wouldn't have it any other way. Truth be told, it kind of ruins you. We're too used to running the whole shebang.

Brett, your video is really cool. It's a lot less complicated than hooking up an LT5 to an engine dyno, I can tell you that for sure.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012   #6
jcruz

Wow, that's very cool! Now, get down to FL -- safely
1992 #043, Aqua/Gray 40k miles
jcruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012   #7
tomtom72

Hey Brett, thanks for sharing that vid! Loved it...I never realized that the 170(?) cu.in. was a solid lifter motor? And where is the oil filter, they didn't have any?? The OEM exhaust manifold is interesting too, 3 into 2?? Oh, and I haven't seen a power glide in ages! That was fun! I know, too many Q's from the peanut gallery!

Oh yea, that drive train looks sweet! You do nice work man!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012   #8
Blue Flame Restorations

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72 View Post
Hey Brett, thanks for sharing that vid! Loved it...I never realized that the 170(?) cu.in. was a solid lifter motor? And where is the oil filter, they didn't have any?? The OEM exhaust manifold is interesting too, 3 into 2?? Oh, and I haven't seen a power glide in ages! That was fun! I know, too many Q's from the peanut gallery!

Oh yea, that drive train looks sweet! =D> You do nice work man!
These old motors have a unique sound with the split manifold and solid lifters. They're a 235ci. The normal 481 casting block used hydraulic lifters and the 3 speed cars and trucks used a 946 casting block with solid lifters. GM decided to use the soild lifters with the 481 block and it gave it a great exhaust note (for a six banger LOL). And nope, no oil filter of any kind!!!

Glad you guys enjoyed the video. Now, it's off to FL next weekend to deliver it to J&M Enterprises in Brooksville, where the #029 car is undergoing a complete frame off restoration.
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project

Last edited by Blue Flame Restorations; 07-27-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012   #9
scottfab

I for one would love to follow the progress via pictures here. My story about the 53 Corvette is this.
I was born on the day it was introduced as a concept car at the GM Motorama 1953. My dad after seeing the news clip on TV named me after the person that gave the corvette it's name (Myron Scott) except he did not like the name "Myron" so he chose "Byron" instead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette

My dad later owned a 53 and some of my earliest recollections of the car was he and friend working on rebuilding the diff on it.
All I remember is all the really BLACK greasy hands. I feel a special bond to all MY 53s.
Te be able to be involved in restoring so many of these must most definitely feel special.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012   #10
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfab View Post
I for one would love to follow the progress via pictures here. My story about the 53 Corvette is this.
I was born on the day it was introduced as a concept car at the GM Motorama 1953. My dad after seeing the news clip on TV named me after the person that gave the corvette it's name (Myron Scott) except he did not like the name "Myron" so he chose "Byron" instead.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette

My dad later owned a 53 and some of my earliest recollections of the car was he and friend working on rebuilding the diff on it.
All I remember is all the really BLACK greasy hands. I feel a special bond to all MY 53s.
Te be able to be involved in restoring so many of these must most definitely feel special.
Now, THAT'S COOL!
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is online now   Reply With Quote