ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-01-2019   #1
billschroeder5842

Default Garage lifts and doing damage to suspension

I'm running out of space and need to consider adding a car lift in my garage. I have a buddy and he is very happy with his single post lift that positions on the pinch welds.

I have questions as to getting a lift that allows to the suspension to "dangle." Does the "dangling" do damage to the un spring suspension? The lift will alternate between the ZR1 and the '04 ZO6. I know there are other "drive on" lifts but the foot print and the awkward lifting has me hesitant

Any thoughts? Thanks!

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019   #2
We Gone

Default Re: Garage lifts and doing damage to suspension

I would not want to store my car on a two post for the reason you mention. It can't be good for the bushings, But I would love to have a two post for working on them.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019   #3
aafc

If you have room use a 4-post lift,most of the new 4-post lifts need about 8 ft ceiling. I brought my lift from autolifters back in 1998 6000 lbs capacity. Since owning it i have replaced 1 set of cables and 4 sets of pulleys.With a 4-post you can do most of repairs/maintenance on the lift. Suspension and wheel changes
you have to use a jacking bridge. If you have enough height you could park one on lift and one under it.

http://www.zr1.net/forum/picture.php...pictureid=4056

http://www.zr1.net/forum/picture.php...pictureid=4049

good luck what ever you do

John 1990 #2546 4l8OE EQ ZR-1
aafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019   #4
WARP TEN

Bill, I too would suggest a four post lift for storage. They are easy to use and can be used for work as well, although you might want to get a jack support (most come with a jacking tray) and bottle jacks. I do not use mine for much work, just simple stuff like exhaust system things, etc, so I do not have the jacks. But I have had my four poster for seven years and it has performed flawlessly with only a tiny hydraulic cylinder leak of a drop or two a month that I don't worry about. Plenty of pictures of mine in my albums section (http://www.zr1.net/forum/album.php?albumid=186). The pictures are annotated with info about the installation and the garage. Mine is a mid priced lift called a Direct Lift Pro Park 8S, a subsidiary of Rotary. While it is undoubtedly more expensive now, it cost me about $3,100 installed by the seller's experts. Comes with casters so you can move it (I adjust its position every few years; does not need to be bolted down, nor does it need an especially thick or reinforced floor). (The pics are older and show the cars backed in due to garage door height which I subsequently fixed and now park front end in.)

I use it to store one of two cars on top while I use the other and park underneath. It takes me about 5-7 minutes to swap cars. Definitely recommend getting light weight Race Ramps and tossing the steel ones. Over the years my wife has been moving me into progressively smaller and smaller garages, and now that she has me in a two car this was my solution to keep a Vette. I have 10' of height which is just enough for a four foot tall car and a five foot tall one. If you have questions about my lift I would be glad to answer them. Here's a current picture--Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Z06OnLift (2).jpg (108.1 KB, 80 views)
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"

Last edited by WARP TEN; 11-02-2019 at 12:13 PM.
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019   #5
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by aafc View Post
If you have room use a 4-post lift,most of the new 4-post lifts need about 8 ft ceiling. I brought my lift from autolifters back in 1998 6000 lbs capacity. Since owning it i have replaced 1 set of cables and 4 sets of pulleys.With a 4-post you can do most of repairs/maintenance on the lift. Suspension and wheel changes
you have to use a jacking bridge. If you have enough height you could park one on lift and one under it.

http://www.zr1.net/forum/picture.php...pictureid=4056

http://www.zr1.net/forum/picture.php...pictureid=4049

good luck what ever you do

Auto Lifters is sadly out of business now, where are you getting parts? I’m installing a used one identical to yours as we speak. Everything is in excellent condition but eventually parts will be required.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019   #6
hiperf406

I also would not use a 2 post hoist for storage bu that's just my opinion. I have a 4 post & have had them for years, although I would opt for the 9000# lift as it gives you a buffer zone on weight. In the future you may want to lift a truck or larger vehicle & 6000# does not have the extra weight to safely lift the extra weight safely. Hoists are definately a great tool if you are into cars, would not be without one

When the flag drops the bull sh1t stops!
hiperf406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019   #7
aafc

Ok for parts and or repair of autolifters 4-post m6 contact this company
sviinternational.com . i used them for cable replacement two years ago, but
now they list parts for autolifters . check there web site.
Four years ago I used backyard buddy for pulleys as i could not fine any other
parts supply.

this should help.

Old 11-02-2019   #8
Z51JEFF

Personally I wouldn’t own a 2 post lift,4 post or nothing.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019   #9
billschroeder5842

Thanks guys for the input.

So, I HATE the "foot print" of the 4 post but absolutely see the safety/utility/sturdiness advantage.

Is the center "jack" on a four post pretty good for getting the car off the lift? I think of brake work, suspension and shock messing around with?

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019   #10
aafc

Most of the new models of 4-post lifts have a air or manual jacking bride that slides from front to back. Just check out their web sites. I wish i had brought the sliding jacking bridge for the autolifter 6000 ,it makes working on wheel changes,brakes and suspension a lot easier. There is a company the makes a
sliding jack bridge that would work with the autolifter 6000 but its about $900.
from Greg Smith Equipment called Atlas RJ-35 sliding hydraulic center jack. their add says this will work with other 4-post lifts.

John
1990 #2546 4l8OE eq ZR-1