ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-08-2020   #1
Prez1967

Default FX3 VS RideTech Coilover System

Im noticing some cracks in the suspension bushings in my '94 Z.

Ive always been a handling/braking nut so when possible to make an improvement along with a repair, I jump on it.

The question of the day is:

How does the factory FX3/ Leaf Spring suspension compare to the RideTech (or similar) coilover offerings?

Ridetech allows you to purchase the bushings, bars, control arms, etc A La Carte but it doesnt seem like they want to sell you just the coilovers downt he line.

Will be adding the V2V No Flex kit in the meantime until I make a plan on how to proceed in rebuilding suspension this winter.
Prez1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020   #2
Karl

Default Re: FX3 VS RideTech Coilover System

I have the DRM coilovers with the adjustable fx3 suspension and a exotic muscle harness bar.

Ride quality is night and day.

Next on my to do list is swap the bushings on the car.
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020   #3
EvanZR1

I've got DRM coilovers with FX3 shocks, and it's a better ride than stock, but I find it to be too "bouncy" and end up driving in "Perf" most of the time to control it. I'm either going to end up replacing the springs, or just going to the Vansteel DA4 setup (double adjustable advanced street). As an FYI, one of the things I've found is going too low on the coilovers will make things worse as far as being "bouncy". Mine was ok, but still a little bouncy when I first had them on at slightly lower than stock, then I had it lowered further and it got worse. I've also noticed that Vansteel explicitly states anything more than a 1" drop needs to be there DA3/4 setup with shortened shocks and stiffer springs.
SOLD - Steel Blue 91 391cid ZR-1 #391
SOLD - Black 91 ZR-1
EvanZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020   #4
Prez1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanZR1 View Post
I've got DRM coilovers with FX3 shocks, and it's a better ride than stock, but I find it to be too "bouncy" and end up driving in "Perf" most of the time to control it. I'm either going to end up replacing the springs, or just going to the Vansteel DA4 setup (double adjustable advanced street). As an FYI, one of the things I've found is going too low on the coilovers will make things worse as far as being "bouncy". Mine was ok, but still a little bouncy when I first had them on at slightly lower than stock, then I had it lowered further and it got worse. I've also noticed that Vansteel explicitly states anything more than a 1" drop needs to be there DA3/4 setup with shortened shocks and stiffer springs.
I have no interest in going much lower than factory. If I can confirm function of the FX3 suspension on my car I may be swayed to keep it stock and upgrade just the bushings and bars. Having a switch in the car that does nothing would drive me nuts!!!

But I could probably find a way to delete the switch if the move to Coilovers is as night and day as some have hinted at.
Old 07-08-2020   #5
EvanZR1

If you can find a set of DRM coilovers, you can keep the FX3 shocks & switch functional. Like I said, at stock height or slightly lower, they ride great. Heck, if you're not in a hurry, I might even be interested in selling my entire DRM w/FX3 shock setup. I'm just waiting on my previous house to sell (should close the end of the month) before doing more car mods.

As for deleting the switch, it's fairly easy. You can find the seat switch block without FX3 on Ebay pretty easy, and it's not that hard to replace. Then just pull the bulb from the info center for the Service Ride Control, and you're good.
SOLD - Black 91 ZR-1
Old 07-08-2020   #6
Prez1967

Quote:
If you can find a set of DRM coilovers, you can keep the FX3 shocks & switch functional. Like I said, at stock height or slightly lower, they ride great. Heck, if you're not in a hurry, I might even be interested in selling my entire DRM w/FX3 shock setup. I'm just waiting on my previous house to sell (should close the end of the month) before doing more car mods.

As for deleting the switch, it's fairly easy. You can find the seat switch block without FX3 on Ebay pretty easy, and it's not that hard to replace. Then just pull the bulb from the info center for the Service Ride Control, and you're good.
Im never in a rush :-) But still weighing my options. My FX3 shocks have no leaks but I cant feel a difference between the three settings either.

May hit up ebay to have a look around for seat switch just in case lol
Old 07-09-2020   #7
Karl

Quote:
Do you know what spring rates are on your car? I only experience the "bouncy" condition when road conditions are bad (buckled concrete, pothole, speed bump, etc). Usually I am in touring or sport mode on the FX3.

I am considering raising my car by about 1/2" all around. Going to wait until I install new bushings and see what happens.
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020   #8
EvanZR1

I believe they are the standard 425/275 DRM rates.
SOLD - Black 91 ZR-1
Old 07-09-2020   #9
-=Jeff=-

Does DRM not make the kit anymore?
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020   #10
EvanZR1

It's not on their website anymore. I sent them an email about getting different springs for my coilovers, but have not heard back.
SOLD - Black 91 ZR-1