ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-01-2010   #1
richard sanderson

Default ECM operating temperature

I am a bit concerned when I have taken the car for a run, and whipped the hood up afterwards to check that everything looks OK, that the ECM seems extremely hot. Is this normal? How hot can it get before trouble sets in? Has anyone any idea why it should get hot? Should the connectors be unplugged and cleaned do you think? All ideas welcome!
Cheers from sunny Spain,
Dick
1990 ZR-1 #231 torch red/black
richard sanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010   #2
tomtom72

Default Re: ECM operating temperature

Yea, things get really hot under our hoods after about an hour of running. It's amazing that the solder doesn't melt on the ECM's main board, or at least it seems that it should.

Hi Rich,

I've nothing that I can point to in the FSM about that question to answer your concerns. I can only say that about four hours on a fuel run at highway speeds doesn't seem to bother my ECM.

My thought is that the electrical/computer engineers took all of that into account in the design & testing of the electronics package. I'm sure that over time the heat will eventually take a toll on all of the electronics, I guess?

I can't even say that there are any preventative measures that an owner can take; except to just make sure that the cooling system is looked after to maintain it's performance at optimal levels. I know, not a very good answer. Sorry!

I think that I agree with your thoughts on cleaning connection points. I do that every two yrs or so. I did it when I first got my car. Took apart all the connectors I could get to and looked for corrosion, if found I cleaned it up, and used dielectric grease on the pins and sockets and the gaskets, and reconnected them. I also did the same to all the ground connections I could locate. After that I don't know that there is much else to be done as a preventative measure.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member

Last edited by tomtom72; 09-01-2010 at 08:36 AM. Reason: forgot something
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010   #3
scholtmj

Default Re: ECM operating temperature

Most commercial off the shelf components are rated at 85 degrees C (185 F). Even then they often have "margin" built in. The engine may run at 185, but ambient air will be cooler.
scholtmj is offline   Reply With Quote