ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-13-2017   #1
emmvette

Default Warning: Gas Pedal Broken

During a 1 mile run at the SORC this weekend, my gas pedal broke about 140 mph and fell off to the side. I didn't realize what had happened during the run, it startled me and I hit the rev limiter. That was my first and only run of the day since my pedal was broke. Still was able to get 167.8 mph by pushing over and down at what was left of my pedal assembly. Next year will be a faster run assuming no issues. I carry spare parts but never thought about this one.

The pedal assembly has a plastic part that attaches it to the firewall / floor. After getting home today and doing a little internet research looks like this has happened to plenty of people, usually during a hard acceleration. The plastic piece is brittle and breaks. You may want to check yours for slop and replace if needed.

At least my gas pedal didn't get stuck under the brake pedal!

Here is a link to the only place I could find making a quality replacement for the plastic part:
http://www.uniquecutting.com/products/

On a side note the SORC event is extremely well put on and a ton of fun. Highly recommended!
Old 08-13-2017   #2
PhillipsLT5

Default Re: Warning: Gas Pedal Broken

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmvette View Post
During a 1 mile run at the SORC this weekend, my gas pedal broke about 140 mph and fell off to the side. I didn't realize what had happened during the run, it startled me and I hit the rev limiter. That was my first and only run of the day since my pedal was broke. Still was able to get 167.8 mph by pushing over and down at what was left of my pedal assembly. Next year will be a faster run assuming no issues. I carry spare parts but never thought about this one.

The pedal assembly has a plastic part that attaches it to the firewall / floor. After getting home today and doing a little internet research looks like this has happened to plenty of people, usually during a hard acceleration. The plastic piece is brittle and breaks. You may want to check yours for slop and replace if needed.

Here is a link to the only place I could find making a quality replacement for the plastic part:

On a side note the SORC event is extremely well put on and a ton of fun. Highly recommended!
Very strong run for 1 mile with problems
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017   #3
tf95ZR1

Wow, I had never heard of that before but sure sounds
like it could be dangerous.

I wonder if the part is something CT (Carter) could make
and we could do a group buy. I'd just have to get some
young whipper-snapper to go under the dash upside down
to do the replacement. Ain't as easy as it used to be!

Ted
tf95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017   #4
gtcollins@maxnet.co.nz

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmvette View Post

Hi is your car standard or modified I am trying to get my ZR-1 going for a mile race in December here in New Zealand they give us the first 3/4 off a mile to get up to speed and then average the last 1/4 for your speed I would like to see 150 miles per hour

Sent from my SM-G930F using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
gtcollins@maxnet.co.nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017   #5
Corvettes White

At one time someone was making an aluminum billet piece to replace the plastic one. George.
Corvettes White is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017   #6
conesare2seconds

I knew the guy who prototyped the billet piece. He found there were several designs of the factory pivot over the years. Eventually he was able to produce one that was compatible with all years and obtained distribution through Ecklers. Unfortunately his health took a bad turn and he passed away. He may have licensed the design but I don't think his wife did anything with it after he died and doubt it is still available. It was popular in the autocross community where a couple of racers experienced failure of the factory part during competition.
conesare2seconds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017   #7
lfalzarano

Find a wrecked C4 and remove what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
Old 08-14-2017   #8
emmvette

Are ya'll reading the original post? I found somebody who is currently making a quality replacement part and put a link in the thread. Don't buy one off a wrecked car or a "new" low quality plastic part. A wrecked C4 will still have a 20-30 year old brittle plastic piece. Buy a nice metal one. They make all three versions for the three different ones used on the various C4 years. I don't know who is making these, but you can tell its much better than a plastic one!

Old 08-14-2017   #9
Tripler

Wink Re: Warning: Gas Pedal Broken

I remember the team braking at least 2 at a 24hr at Mosport back in 1987. They are a cheesy little plastic part . Yikes . I think I mentioned how weak they were in my Toe/Heel post's and ticked at GM for putting such a flimsy part in a C4...
I think I will get a spare also as I still T/H every time I drive but I tend to have a delicate touch with the pedals . It's not always mash the pedal each time you drive, tho it is hard to resist lol ...
Thanks for the link emm

Last edited by Tripler; 08-14-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017   #10
5ABI VT

I have actually been searching the last few days for my aluminum one. I had bought it from R-D racing I believe back 10+ years ago for my 93. Cant seem to locate it but I wanted to put it into my Z. Im big on sensory inputs and my opinion is the gas pedal is and always has been a low point for C4s. Its one of the sloppiest loosest pedal Ive possibly ever felt.

thanks very much for the link.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote