ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-25-2020   #1
mmkkpro

Default Carbon in secondary ports

Hi guys, hope everyone is well, I haven't posted in a while, I an a foreman on a commercial block/Brick crew and we are slammed.
Anyhow, car is running, seemed to have a slight miss off idle, I used a spark tester to check the spark and number 7 and 4 were yellow spark and seemed intermittent. So I have just got done installing new coils and wires as it still had original parts on the car. By the way ACDelco part ACD#628D is the plug set I bought and only one wire was exact length all the rest were too long or too short. I probably should have checked with you guys first. Anyhow back to my guestion.
Carbon build up in secondary ports and on the blades. Will it burn off? Can I use CRC intake and valve cleaner? Should I just disassemble everything and manually clean it, if the ports look like this,what does the valv look like? It looks like to me the secondaries were never used before I got the car, or used very little. Also I'm leaning towards a delete of this apperatice.
Tieing secondary plates open? Advantages? Disadvantages? I have driven this car and they don't seem to be working, and I have done all tests outlined by FSM and Marc H. I know there are a multitude of parameters it has to meet before the computer will let it work. Sorry for all the questions, I been a drag racer forever and am a carburetor guy, but in learning. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200425_071741.jpg (181.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200425_071630.jpg (176.7 KB, 16 views)
mmkkpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020   #2
Young1

Default Re: Carbon in secondary ports

Cylinders 7 and 4 are the same coil. Ohm test that coil against the other three. Test primary and secondary sides. .4K and 5.8K Sounds like it is weak. I use AC Delco coil E530C. I always lay out my plug wire sets from long to short and evaluate distance needed for installation. Install a new set of plugs, AC Delco 41-602. Now we are ready for fuel to clean the carbon.

A. Make sure secondaries are opening all the way per Haibecks pink or pink/black wire test on his website.
B. Start the car. Always drive with power switch on.
C. Fill up with 93 octane and a bottle of Techron.
D. Drive it everywhere buzzing motor 3k or higher. Run down interstate in 4th gear. Discover the rev limiter.
E. Fill up. Repeat.
F. Enjoy permagrin.
1991 ZR-1 Quasar Blue Metallic/Black #729
Second Owner
1991 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Black #2040
SOLD

1990 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Saddle #1670
SOLD
Double your happiness.....complain half as much.
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020   #3
mmkkpro

Hi Young, thanks for the reply. I got her all put back together and it sounds and feels much better. I did the secondary test to confirm they are working and they are. When I got the car I did a lot of work on it as it had been sitting a number of years. I need and like to get input from you guys, it helps a lot. I appreciate your time and advice.
mmkkpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020   #4
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young1 View Post
............I use AC Delco coil E530C. ..........

What is the secondary winding resistance on the E530C coil?

Thanks,
Jerry
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020   #5
Young1

Before I installed the E530C I checked them against my original OEM. They were the same at 5.8K ohm
1991 ZR-1 Quasar Blue Metallic/Black #729
Second Owner
1991 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Black #2040
SOLD

1990 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Saddle #1670
SOLD
Double your happiness.....complain half as much.
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020   #6
ZWILD1

My first Z worked pretty good with the secondary system. I lost a coil once so I replaced them and the wires. I had to replace the air pump as one day I noticed it no longer came on when you first turned the key on. It had the diode to by pass the valet key so it had full power all the time. I liked that. My current car had one of Marc's 510 packages and the secondary delete. The fuel mileage is good and it runs on all 16 injectors all the time. I like how the car runs. After having it both ways I like not having the secondary system. If you live in a state that requires vehicle emissions on older cars the secondary system helps in passing them.
91 Turquoise Metallic Haibeck 525 #0134
ZWILD1 is offline   Reply With Quote