ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-31-2010   #1
jeasen

Default Clutch Adjustment

I did a search but did not find anything. My clutch grabs and releases to close to the top for my liking. I know the clutch is hydralicly operated. Is there any adjustment so I can move the engagement closer to the floor?
1994 ZR1 Red on Red #111
jeasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #2
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Clutch Adjustment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeasen View Post
I did a search but did not find anything. My clutch grabs and releases to close to the top for my liking. I know the clutch is hydralicly operated. Is there any adjustment so I can move the engagement closer to the floor?
Passing on what I was told when I had the same question some 7 + years ago..."It is the nature of the (hydraulic clutch) beast; self-adjusting and all." Since then I found it to be true on both of my C4s: They release/engage near the top of the stroke.

However! in a subsequent discussion with Bill B. (ZF doc), he told me one does not want to think that the clutch stroke can be abbreviated, simply because the engagement is near the end of the stroke. To short stroke the clutch will reek havoc with the synchros (sp?); the clutch pedal needs to bump the floor on each shift (is what I gather from Bill) or else transmission woes will soon follow.

Obviously, I'm not the expert on our clutches, but for someone who is, "ask BILL".

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010   #3
GOLDCYLON

No. To get that to the floor feel you need to replace the Clutch. As they wear they tend to travel upward as they are hydraulically aided. Paul's answer above is correct these are meant to be driven to the floor per shift and the ZFDOC knows what he is talking about
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010   #4
jeasen

Thanks for your replies. Just about what I thought.
1994 ZR1 Red on Red #111
jeasen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010   #5
XfireZ51

Mine engages near the bottom towards the floor. I will be investigating whether the clutch pedal assembly is distorted and flattened. That turned out to bet eh problem with my 84. It had straightened out to the point of taking about 2" off the pedal stroke. Currently the shifter is smooth on daily driving shifts. Shifts at the drags tend to hang in 2nd. However, I did find that the clutch fluid change procedure outlined by Ranger worked pretty well.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010   #6
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Mine engages near the bottom towards the floor. I will be investigating whether the clutch pedal assembly is distorted and flattened. That turned out to bet eh problem with my 84. It had straightened out to the point of taking about 2" off the pedal stroke. Currently the shifter is smooth on daily driving shifts. Shifts at the drags tend to hang in 2nd. However, I did find that the clutch fluid change procedure outlined by Ranger worked pretty well.

You dont have that 84 any more do you Dom? Only ask cause of the handle

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 04-02-2010   #7
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
You dont have that 84 any more do you Dom? Only ask cause of the handle
Nope. Sold it when I got the ZR. However, that guy that owns it now asked if I wanted to buy it back. He also wants me to work on it since it isn't "totslly stock" Would make a fun LSx project car. Drivetrain already has the goodies of a ZF trans and a Dana 44 rear along with C5 brakes.
Its a Z51 car with ZR-1 wheels and weighed 3200lbs with fluids so imagine taking 150lbs out using an LS-6 or LS-3 motor.
Old 04-03-2010   #8
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Nope. Sold it when I got the ZR. However, that guy that owns it now asked if I wanted to buy it back. He also wants me to work on it since it isn't "totslly stock" Would make a fun LSx project car. Drivetrain already has the goodies of a ZF trans and a Dana 44 rear along with C5 brakes.
Its a Z51 car with ZR-1 wheels and weighed 3200lbs with fluids so imagine taking 150lbs out using an LS-6 or LS-3 motor.

Sound like a fun project Dom. Do you have the space for a project car? I used to but not since I moved

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 04-03-2010   #9
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Sound like a fun project Dom. Do you have the space for a project car? I used to but not since I moved
Its more like the CASH for a project car. I have started a small Business Coaching practice and so the investment is going there. www.advicoach.com/dsorresso
Otherwise I'd be doing the coil over and ported head upgrades.