ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-01-2012   #1
captcorvette

Smile Photo or reference request?

Have not managed to locate the three wire connector that goes from the right headlight motor down to the wire bundle near the vacuum pump. Have a promise of one when the back ordered stock is available but would like to try and sort out the problems before that time. There are three wires coming out of my '90 MY headlight motor. Royal blue, then a double wire that has a grey wire and what looks to be white. On the other end that was severed when it became entwined in the headlight as it rotated (only scenario I can think of) the connector has only two wires. One blue and one grey. When I try to connect the white wire to anything the VATs shuts down the car and it will not engage the starter. Disconnect the white wire, go through the waiting period, send a clear code signal with my scanner and the car will start. Head lights will both come on and the left one will rotate into position but the right one will not rotate but does come on. Can drive it at night but have to manually operate the knob to rotate the light.

Received the correct MAP hose from Jerry (thanks again for the help) but it made no difference to the poor running so think my old fabricated one was working. Installed the new vacuum pump (again from Jerry) but that too made no difference and this new motor runs constantly same as the old one but this one is much noisier. But having eliminated these items as potential problems does equal progress.
captcorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012   #2
VetteMed

Default Re: Photo or reference request?

I'll be happy to take pics of whatever you need, but I'm not really sure what it is you are asking for pics of... I have a 91, if it matters.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012   #3
bdw18_123

Do these help? Right headlight area on my '90 Z.

1990 Corvette ZR-1 [/B][I]
White/Flame Red, #2299, mostly stock, 144K miles.[/I]
-Cams timed to the '93-'95 405HP LT5 stock timing.
-IAT sensor relocated to below front bumper.
-Haibeck hoops installed in airduct.
-OBX cat-back exhaust.
[COLOR=DarkRed][B](SOLD - December 2012 [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed][B]:hello:)[/B][/COLOR]

1993 Corvette Coupe
Black/Black, 6-speed
(SOLD - October 2009 :hello:)
bdw18_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012   #4
captcorvette

Yes. Thank you very much. This is exactly what I was looking for. This will help me sort out the correct wires. Also now I can try and put the wires back in their original position to keep this from happening again. Will let you know if this does the trick until the connectors are obtained.
Old 04-01-2012   #5
captcorvette

Double checked my wires this morning. Your photo shows only two wires coming from your headlight motor. Mine has three. On the second photo of the inside wall near the vacuum pump there are two connectors. One with two wires and one with three wires. I am assuming mine is the same as the three connector one as the colours are the same. My motor looks like it has never been messed wtih and the wires leaving the motor are neatly shielded with what looks like original covering. Can you tell me what the connector on the right (three wire) goes to? Thanks for putting up the photos.
Wayne
Old 04-02-2012   #6
368zr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcorvette View Post
Your photo shows only two wires coming from your headlight motor.
The headlight door motor uses two wires. Gray and a Dark Green wire.

Quote:
On the second photo of the inside wall near the vacuum pump there are two connectors. One with two wires and one with three wires. I am assuming mine is the same as the three connector one as the colours are the same.
The three wire connector is for the
headlight bulb. Tan wire is for the Lo beam, Light Green wire is for the Hi beam and Black/White wire is ground.

Last edited by 368zr1; 04-02-2012 at 08:29 PM.
368zr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012   #7
WVZR-1

Quote:
Double checked my wires this morning. Your photo shows only two wires coming from your headlight motor. Mine has three. On the second photo of the inside wall near the vacuum pump there are two connectors. One with two wires and one with three wires. I am assuming mine is the same as the three connector one as the colours are the same. My motor looks like it has never been messed wtih and the wires leaving the motor are neatly shielded with what looks like original covering. Can you tell me what the connector on the right (three wire) goes to? Thanks for putting up the photos.
Wayne
I believe that early C4's had three wire actuators/motors. Perhaps someone grabbed up an early headlamp actuator for a repair. I do believe that there were packages that were used to modify early cars to later 2 wire actuators. How would your 3 wire actuator need to be modified in the 2 wire system? don't know. There could likely be an 8 digit part# inked on your actuators. If they're legible what are they? Check maybe both sides!!

Here's a very old thread on the CF that mentions what "might have been done" to use the 3 wire. Check post #3 & #7.

http://forums.*************.com/c4-t...onversion.html

You'll need to convert the ************* to the appropriate!

I found a link to an early C4 motor and there's no "blue" wire.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-02-2012 at 09:30 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012   #8
bdw18_123

It sounds like to be able to use a 3-wire motor with the later 2-wire systems involves taking the headlight motor apart, removing some of the circuitry inside and connecting two of the wires directly to the motor. But without seeing some kind of diagram for the internals of both types of motors (or pictures of them disassembled), I don't know what exactly would need to be done.

Apparently, the headlight motor in the 3-wire system has some relays and other stuff inside it so the motor can be made to spin in both directions. The 2-wire motor has that function in a separate module (probably a solid state device to make the system more reliable) so the motor in the later system only needs 2 wires.

Unless you are good at electrical stuff (or have a friend that is), it would probably be easier to just get a 2-wire headlight to replace the 3-wire one that is in there. Although I know that your location makes getting replacement parts difficult.

1990 Corvette ZR-1 [/B][I]
White/Flame Red, #2299, mostly stock, 144K miles.[/I]
-Cams timed to the '93-'95 405HP LT5 stock timing.
-IAT sensor relocated to below front bumper.
-Haibeck hoops installed in airduct.
-OBX cat-back exhaust.
[COLOR=DarkRed][B](SOLD - December 2012 [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=DarkRed][B]:hello:)[/B][/COLOR]

1993 Corvette Coupe
Black/Black, 6-speed
(SOLD - October 2009 :hello:)
bdw18_123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012   #9
captcorvette

OK folks some progress. I think we can put the headlight issue to bed. Still have to sort out the VATs question but think once I get the wires to the headlight motor sorted out perhaps the VATs issue will be solved as the car is starting now with the 3rd wire disconnected. OK ready for the answer? Looks like this was all self induced.

When I first purchased the car it had a right front accident. My donor car is and '84 MY. I did not notice that the body guys used the '84 assembly as it is gone from the shelf. Sorry to be such a right royal pain in the backside on this but at least I am making progress and I would NOT have made the progress if you guys had not of pointed out the difference between the early and late motors. Now to clean up this mess and see what it solves and then concentrate on the missing issues.

Thank you all for the help. Sometimes a thank you seems sort of lame for all the help I have been given. But there is a standing lunch invitation if any of you get over on my side of the world.