ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 05-06-2012   #1
Crusin

Default Car starts to jerk in lower gears

Its starting out to be a season from hell. In the last two weeks I have noticed car starts to jerk back and forth while in low gears and giving it gas. On the highway car seems to run okay. I always use Premium High Test Gas so I know that isn't the problem. Wondering if it could be a blocked Gas Line Filter? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You
Crusin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #2
DaveK

Default Re: Car starts to jerk in lower gears

I had a similar sounding problem a couple of years back after coming out of storage. Would stumble when trying to accelerate in low gears but would cruise more or less okay. Turned out to be the plugs just needed changing. Might be worth trying, it's a cheap 'fix' if it works.

Dave
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #3
VetteMed

I had a similar issue when my throttle position sensor had failed. Took weeks of driving like that before it actually set a code in the ECM. Of course, I'd want to take a test drive witha fuel pressure gauge attached to the fuel rail, to see what the pressure is doing when this problem occurs. Fuel filter, or fuel pump, could possibly cause this.
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012   #4
Crusin

Thank you all for your suggestions. I believe I will pull the plugs tomorrow and check them, if okay I will change the fuel filter. If that fails I will have Fuel Pump checked out.
Old 05-07-2012   #5
tomtom72

You will have to bleed off the fuel pressure before you loosen the F/F so you might as well do the test for pump psi at the same time...it's connected anyway. You loosen that filter without bleeding off the rail pressure first, fuel goes all over the place. My test gauge has a 'bleed off' valve & hose attached to it.

fwiw, I find that if you pull out the IAC motor it is easier to get my F/P gauge attached. It isn't a biggie and you get a straighter shot at the rail valve and a bit more room to work and it will not affect the KOEO pump test results.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012   #6
Crusin

Is it possible that the Fuel Pump is going and not getting enough gas at lower speeds?
Old 05-08-2012   #7
VetteMed

possible, yes, which is why we suggested the use of a fuel pressure gauge to see what the rail pressure is when the problem occurs.
Old 05-08-2012   #8
Crusin

Unfortunately this problem only occurs at random so hard to do that, since I don't know when this will occur.
Old 05-08-2012   #9
VetteMed

Well, if you want to just throw money at the problem, start cheap, with the fuel filter, air filter, and spark plugs.

If that all checks out and the problem persists, then change fuel pumps (easy job on these cars).

If the problem still persists, you probably have a plenum pull in your future. Injectors, coils, plug wires, and close inspection of all vacuum components.

Throttle position sensor is also doable and not terribly expensive, if you're taking the shotgun approach .
Old 05-08-2012   #10
Crusin

What you stated, Vette Med makes a lot of sense to me. Start with the cheap fixes first and work down. I certainly hope a plenum pull and injectors not required for awhile. Unfortunately I am not all that much mechanically inclined ( shop in high school no mechanics way back then). CHEERS!