ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-13-2010   #1
HIZNHRZ

Default 91 ZR-1

There's a nice looking 91 ZR-1 in ZR1-net for sale section with top end port and polish, Jeal headers, and Stage 1 cams. The ad says the car is making 460 rwhp.

Do the cams really make that much difference? If the car is making that kind of power at the top end, anyone have any thoughts on what the low end torque looks like?
HIZNHRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #2
Sgreg

Default Re: 91 ZR-1

Feel sure he has ported heads or the rwHP is inflated. Torque is probably 350 or so.
Old 06-13-2010   #3
Aurora40

See if the seller will shoot you the dyno sheet. I don't recall seeing anyone make that much from a 350 other than Pete. As for cams making that much difference, you might search some of his posts, he is very open about what he tries and what kind of power it makes. I wouldn't put 100% faith in dyno sheets, though. I wonder if the seller has hit the strip with his car?

Your question is intriguing, though, because I too wonder if cams won't be the "next step" in the more common 350ci mods now that porting seems to be more or less perfected. Could you get a car with 440-450 whp with a dual-mass, cats, etc from a 350 with still mild/streetable cams? Pete's shown you can if you have the skills, but will that appear as an option for those of us who don't have said skills?

Surely you aren't bored of your Haibeck 500 already, Scott! You planning to hit the dragstrip this summer with the car? I definitely want to see your car run, because I'm tempted by head porting and wonder how much difference it really makes.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Aurora40; 06-13-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010   #4
HIZNHRZ

Hey Bob. No, I'm not the least bit bored. In fact, I'm crazy about the way my car runs.

Before my car ended up with Marc I spoke with Aaron Scott at SGC. He had done a several 350 top end packages with his Stage 1 cams. I don't remember him producing those kind of numbers. As I do remember, the cams did generate a few more rwhp than Marc's package but as I remember it was at the expense of both peak torque and torque across the entire power curve.

Pete has been the only one I've heard of making the kind of Hp in a 350 the guy in the ad was talking about; and, looking at Pete's quarter mile times it sure doesn't look like he's lost any torque.
HIZNHRZ is offline   Reply With Quote