ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-01-2013   #1
White Bullet

Default Wheel bearings?

Got back from having tires replaced and as you know the tire shop does their check list to drum up work. One of the items that they say needs attention is the left wheel bearing. They say that it is bad. I bring it home and raise the car and check the wheel for movement. All I can find is that the wheel has a very slight bump but not movement. So I check the other side for comparison as they did not say it needed attention and it does the same. So what is your experience with this?
Old 07-01-2013   #2
mike100

Default Re: Wheel bearings?

There should be no noticeable movement on the front wheels. If you do have a little play, it may be in spec per the book (.015" play), but rest assured, you will be buying them within about a year or so.

The Korean made SKF units have a good rep, but they only list application for a 4th gen Camaro...a small difference on the mounting studs, but you can either convert to the camaro mounting, or machine the 4 holes a little larger to use the vette hardware. I guess the f-body parts are going for about $150 per.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013   #3
mike100

http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/c...-bearings.html

http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/c...gs-brakes.html

http://www.thevettebarn.com/forums/c...tte-topic.html

Last edited by mike100; 07-01-2013 at 10:34 PM.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013   #4
White Bullet

Thanks for the info. Just to clear up my original post the bearing in question is left rear. May bad for that and the movement is back and forth (in to out) not up and down. If that makes a difference. I was thinking that I need to snug tighten up the spinal nut.

So you recommend SKF for replacements. Are they any other good choices? In what research I have done there seems to be many choices for replacements from $45.00 to $450.00 per unit. As an example NAPA sells two units one for $89.00 and the other for $179.00 the difference is warranty. One is one year the other is 3 years.
Old 07-03-2013   #5
batchman

I recommend Timken for the rear bearings, and they're a reasonable DIY if you have the right torx bit, an assortment of long extensions, a 36mm socket for the axle nut and a way to torque to 168 ft/lbs. A lift helps limit your contortions and lets you leave the car in neutral so you can rotate the axle shaft for access.

A bad axle bearing exhibits play in all directions up/down/left/right. If you mean toward and away from the pumpkin when you say in/out I think something is badly loose.

I have come to conclude that most of these hubs are probably made in the same factory in China. I have had brands not match the box, flanges stamped with a different maker, etc. For me they all fail the same way, overheat the seal, lose the lube, lose the hub. This design just can't stand up to today's slicks. Normal street driving I think all should be fine.

Had one recent $30/ea version with too large a snout to fit the OEM wheels.

Sorry this got a little random. Good luck,
- Jeff
[I]91 ZR-1 #1840, autocrossing in SCCA BSP. FIC S/S's
DRM chip/Watson/Borla/lid/LW batt&headlights,
springs, shocks, pads & lines, quick rack & Turn One,
camber brace, 32/22mm sways, A/C halfway deleted
17x11 & 12 CCW's, 315 & 335 Hoosier A6s

[/I]
batchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013   #6
FU

Nice link's Mike

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013   #7
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

I'm with Mike. SFK are the way to go

Here are rears:

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...794&cc=1041343

I replaced all 4 hubs with SFK but didn't know about the camaro type! When I bought mine, SFK offered fronts and with Yun's help... We got them to work

Now SFK doesn't offer fronts. They go for $150 each Mike?

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013   #8
White Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by batchman View Post
I recommend Timken for the rear bearings, and they're a reasonable DIY if you have the right torx bit, an assortment of long extensions, a 36mm socket for the axle nut and a way to torque to 168 ft/lbs. A lift helps limit your contortions and lets you leave the car in neutral so you can rotate the axle shaft for access.

A bad axle bearing exhibits play in all directions up/down/left/right. If you mean toward and away from the pumpkin when you say in/out I think something is badly loose.

I have come to conclude that most of these hubs are probably made in the same factory in China. I have had brands not match the box, flanges stamped with a different maker, etc. For me they all fail the same way, overheat the seal, lose the lube, lose the hub. This design just can't stand up to today's slicks. Normal street driving I think all should be fine.

Had one recent $30/ea version with too large a snout to fit the OEM wheels.

Sorry this got a little random. Good luck,
- Jeff
Looks like it is time to change them both. I am with you seems that everything comes from one place like appliance's. They are just different by name brand and warranty. Thanks for the installation tips I will use them for sure.
Old 07-04-2013   #9
White Bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZR1 View Post
I'm with Mike. SFK are the way to go

Here are rears:

https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/mor...794&cc=1041343

I replaced all 4 hubs with SFK but didn't know about the camaro type! When I bought mine, SFK offered fronts and with Yun's help... We got them to work

Now SFK doesn't offer fronts. They go for $150 each Mike?

David
Looks like SFK is the first choice. Now just got to get them.
Old 07-04-2013   #10
FU

Rear hub's 120.27 shipped : http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKF-BR930024...-/171045043667

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote