ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-10-2013   #1
Mr Cool

Default Starter relay install

Been wanting to do this since I had a failure to crank in August, went to get my tow vehcle and trailer and when I came back the car started right up.
I could not find any pictures of what this job would look like on this site so here are the ones i took of the process.
This shows the purple wire that needs to be cut and spliced onto. It is in the bundle of wires crossing over the top of the brake booster.

The next picture shows the two yellow wires that I spliced into the purple wire that I cut and the 12 v and ground wires that is needed for the relay. I had some weather pak connectors laying around so I decided to make use of them but they are really not needed.

This picture shows where the 12v and ground are connected behind the battery tray. I installed an inline fuse holder to protect the circuit.

This picture shows it all hooked and tested, the relay just needs to be mounted to the fender well.

The purple wire from the firewall and the ground are wired to the coil in the relay. The purple going toward the intake and the 12v are wired to the contacts.

I just need to find a suitable momentary switch that I can mount in another weather pak so if i have another episode I can plug it in and hit the button with the key on and in neutral and see if it fires up.
90 white/grey #2011
Mr Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013   #2
Mr Cool

Default Re: Starter relay install

The relay I bought was rated at 40 amps the fuse I installed was 30 amps anybody know what the actual current draw on the solenoid is?
90 white/grey #2011
Mr Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013   #3
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Starter relay install

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Cool View Post
The relay I bought was rated at 40 amps the fuse I installed was 30 amps anybody know what the actual current draw on the solenoid is?
Thanks to an article by Marc Haibeck for the upcoming HOTB Letter, I think I can divulge a sneak peek snippet of teaser information from it on exactly this "NO START" situation: Initially the draw is 28 to 30 Amperes, to answer your question.

Usually fuses are selected at a rating factor a little over the expected circuit demand; approx 1.5 x expected load, or 45A (call it 50). Another option would be a fusible link instead of a fuse, especially since your right there at the distribution terminal (behind the battery).

If you're a member of the ZR-1 NetRegistry, you can "read all about it" later this week in the Letter~!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote