ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-13-2020   #1
Hib Halverson

Default Side Terminal AGM Batteries Going Away

Hi Zroners-
Recently, I've been working on some product reviews of Odyssey Batteries for C5/6/7. That project has me in touch with the Odyssey brand Marketing Manager at EnerSys the mfg. of the Odyssey Battery. All Odysseys are absorbent glass mat (AGM) batteries designed for high-performance and racing applications. They all have high hot pulse cranking amp (HPCA) ratings which is why they are ideal for high compression engines in Corvettes.

He told me that the 75-PC1230 the side-terminal-only, Odyssey Extreme Battery, which fits 84-96 Corvettes has been discontinued. EnerSys still has some stock on hand as do some mass-market parts retailers like AutoZone and Summit Racing Equip.

I had an Odyssey Battery in the '95 I owned for 20 years and it worked very well. For your ZR1, if you want an AGM battery intended for high-performance/racing use and having a high PHCA as well as long service life, better get an Odyssey 75-PC1230 now. I'm told that that battery was temporarily not listed on Odyssey's site but my understanding is it will soon be relisted until stock is depleted. Once it's back on Odyssey's online store, you may need to search for it by number and not application.

If you can't find it there search the web sites of large aftermarket parts vendors. Such as Summit Racing.
current owner 19 VIN 1878

Last edited by Hib Halverson; 07-13-2020 at 03:12 PM.
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020   #2
secondchance

Default Re: Side Terminal AGM Batteries Going Away

Thanks for the heads up. I have been thinking about going AGM and the news of its pending demise, pulled the trigger.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020   #3
Erik

Nice battery, but they don?t give them away up here. Over $400 delivered to me!
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020   #4
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

No worries here... No need to kill a fly with a sledge hammer (aka AGM battery).

Taking nothing away from AGM batteries, who needs them (especially in a Corvette)?

The impetus behind their initial development was a milspec requirement: batteries needed to withstand the kind of shock and overturning experienced in battle vehicle applications.

The unique solution was rather than the stiff (lead) plates arranged and held in suspension in the electrolyte, was instead the lead plates amount to thin lead foils intertwined with a porous (absorbent) fiberglass mat (saturated with the electrolyte) and rolled together in a cylindrical (cell). As result, not only did the AGM satisfy the requirement for rugged handling environments, but the fact that because the plates were thinner, they could have greater surface area for the same size battery case which expands their ability to produce more electricity (within physical restrictions).

All good, right? One fly in the ointment is PRICE, when one realistically considers the "specs" dictated by the application: LT5/ZR-1. Or, put another way; does ~4x$= appreciable, justifiable performance gain in the particular application (the ZR-1)? And, regardless of AGM technology, they too are susceptible to the same inhibiting (killer) sulfate formation (just like conventional lead-acid batteries).

Again, taking nothing away from AGM batteries. But, using a pulse type charger, e.g., Battery Tender or the like, conventional batteries will provide 13 or more years (and counting) of 'like new' cranking power. Some have worked and maintained lead-acid batteries, and some just read about it. But, somewhere I may still have my long-sleeve rubber gloves, rubber apron and face shield I used for years of maintaining lead-acid batteries at remote radio repeater (mountain top) sites. I guess you could say I've been there...done that!

AGM? Meh. You will be paying ~ 4X more for a lot of features our cars will never appreciate. And, as for cranking amperage, our stock LT5 has 11:1 compression, which is significantly higher than those engines intended to utilize FORCED INDUCTION systems (e.g., turbo/super charging).

I know, I know... Nothing is too good for our babies. I get that. But, why are the AGM side-mount batteries that fit our cars being discontinued? Well, it ain't because they can't keep up with the demand! Think about it...

Lots of info on the web:

Some Q&A regarding Odyssey AGM batteries

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 07-15-2020 at 10:20 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020   #5
Erik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman View Post
No worries here... No need to kill a fly with a sledge hammer (aka AGM battery).

Taking nothing away from AGM batteries, who needs them (especially in a Corvette)?

The impetus behind their initial development was a milspec requirement: batteries needed to withstand the kind of shock and overturning experienced in battle vehicle applications.

The unique solution was rather than the stiff (lead) plates arranged and held in suspension in the electrolyte, was instead the lead plates amount to thin lead foils intertwined with a porous (absorbent) fiberglass mat (saturated with the electrolyte) and rolled together in a cylindrical (cell). As result, not only did the AGM satisfy the requirement for rugged handling environments, but the fact that because the plates were thinner, they could have greater surface area for the same size battery case which expands their ability to produce more electricity (within physical restrictions).

All good, right? One fly in the ointment is PRICE, when one realistically considers the "specs" dictated by the application: LT5/ZR-1. Or, put another way; does ~4x$= appreciable, justifiable performance gain in the particular application (the ZR-1)? And, regardless of AGM technology, they too are susceptible to the same inhibiting (killer) sulfate formation (just like conventional lead-acid batteries).

Again, taking nothing away from AGM batteries. But, using a pulse type charger, e.g., Battery Tender or the like, conventional batteries will provide 13 or more years (and counting) of 'like new' cranking power. Some have worked and maintained lead-acid batteries, and some just read about it. But, somewhere I may still have my long-sleeve rubber gloves, rubber apron and face shield I used for years of maintaining lead-acid batteries at remote radio repeater (mountain top) sites. I guess you could say I've been there...done that!

AGM? Meh. You will be paying ~ 4X more for a lot of features our cars will never appreciate. And, as for cranking amperage, our stock LT5 has 11:1 compression, which is significantly higher than those engines intended to utilize FORCED INDUCTION systems (e.g., turbo/super charging).

I know, I know... Nothing is too good for our babies. I get that. But, why are the AGM side-mount batteries that fit our cars being discontinued? Well, it ain't because they can't keep up with the demand! Think about it...

Lots of info on the web:

Some Q&A regarding Odyssey AGM batteries
Good read. Thanks for posting that.
Erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020   #6
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Wow.
What is the world coming to?
Next you will likely tell me there is no need for the platinum valve stem caps or the carbon fiber jack compartment tray.
Now, where did I see the alligator tailight lens gaskets.................

I remain fond of the Delco Gold or Delco Platinum batteries.
36-42 month free replacement.
and they LOOK appropriate once the handle is removed.

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020   #7
secondchance

Who knows, Paul? I might find myself in a battle zone in my Z.
I have been dealing with high performance or cosmetic parts no longer being available for C4s in general and more so for our Zs, as soon as I hear something will be no longer available soon, I jump so that I won't find myself regretting later.
Besides, my passenger side window motor is at that exact level of degradation with Diehard battery will not roll down but once I start the car activating 200 amp alternator, will roll down. Who knows, with extra oomph in CCA, it might work even in accessory or run position.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020   #8
Paul Workman

Sounds like a "work around", maybe

PHCA (Pulse Hot Cranking Amperes)*
PHCA is a measurement of the current a fully charged
battery can deliver for 5 seconds and maintain a voltage
of 7.2 volts (12 volt battery) at a temperature of 27?C.
PHCA ratings can be seen on batteries designed for the
motor racing industry. The 5 second cranking duration
represents the average to start the engine, with the
added benefits of the battery being smaller in size and
lighter in weight.
The PHCA rating is not an official
definition accepted by the industry

*Battery Talk, issue 05, 2017

90 #1202
Sans secondaries

Old 07-16-2020   #9
Hib Halverson

Guess Paul put me in my place, huh.

But there must be something to this AGM "thing" as every Corvette battery since 2004 has been an AGM Delco and AGM Delcos are used in a number of GM's non-Corvette performance cars such as ATS-V, CTS-V, Camaro ZL1, etc. Lastly, ACD has a deal with EnerSys to private-label Odyssey batteries which ACD sells for 3/4-tin and 1-ton light trucks with gas and diesel engines.

If AGM batteries are a frivolous waste of money, why are they OE in so many GM vehicles?

Inquiring minds want to know.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020   #10
Paul Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
Guess Paul put me in my place, huh.
Not my intention, Hib! (But, you've done the same for me once or twice too )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
But there must be something to this AGM "thing" as every Corvette battery since 2004 has been an AGM Delco and AGM Delcos are used in a number of GM's non-Corvette performance cars such as ATS-V, CTS-V, Camaro ZL1, etc. Lastly, ACD has a deal with EnerSys to private-label Odyssey batteries which ACD sells for 3/4-tin and 1-ton light trucks with gas and diesel engines.

If AGM batteries are a frivolous waste of money, why are they OE in so many GM vehicles?

Inquiring minds want to know.
I'm guessing it must be weight advantage and/or ruggedness; two advantages AGM has over conventional batteries. And, I'm sure buying in the quantities GM (etc) does brings the unit OE cost down considerably. But, in MY case, I could save the money and trim 40# off my GUT which would make more of a weight difference than switching to an AGM (assuming one still exists that would fit!!)

90 #1202
Sans secondaries