ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-09-2014   #1
KILLSHOTS

Default Problem o' the day...

I decided to smokescreen the neighborhood today and took the car out for a drive. I started noticing a slight stumble at low RPM, so subtle that I thought I might have been imagining it. But it got progressively worse. Then, I turned it off for 5 minutes and when I restarted it, it idled up to about 2K and hung there, idling somewhat roughly. A stab at the gas did not reduce the idle. On the way home it continued to stumble badly at low RPM, and felt fine when I nailed it. I was hoping the MAP hose came off but no dice. All vacuum lines are intact, no changes there, it does not seem to me like a vacuum issue. I have not filled up recently so it's not bad gas. The plugs, coils, injectors and fuel filters have all been changed.

Any ideas?

TIA!
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014   #2
PhillipsLT5

Default Re: Problem o' the day...

Dam you got bad luck, sounds like a vacuum leak with the idle issue
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014   #3
mike100

take a look at the fuel tank purge solenoid line (under the plenum). there is a hard line that curly-q's around in a circle and attaches on the plenum corner close to the throttle body. you'll definitely get the won't-idle-below-1300 rpm from that leak.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014   #4
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillipsLT5 View Post
Dam you got bad luck, sounds like a vacuum leak with the idle issue
Agreed, Phil...the high idle definitely indicates a vacuum leak. But nothing seems to have changed, as least with the secondary system. The pump is still acting exactly the same with the ignition ON as it was before this problem surfaced. I've examined thoroughly under the hood and can't find anything that has come loose. As far as I know, everything hidden under the plenum that involves vacuum is directly related to the secondary system which, as I noted, is not functioning differently. Besides, Bill just went through everything under there with a fine-toothed comb and he tells me that it functions perfectly.

This car has 16K miles and has been garaged its entire life. I hardly ever drive it, yet I seem to have a major issue surfacing roughly every 5 miles of drive time. The aluminum guts of an LT5 are obviously bulletproof but everything surrounding it is clearly ludicrously delicate. Sorry if I'm offending anybody out there but I need to vent. I'm not a mechanic; I want a driver, not a project.
Old 08-09-2014   #5
XfireZ51

Send it to Chicago.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014   #6
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLSHOTS View Post
Agreed, Phil...the high idle definitely indicates a vacuum leak. But nothing seems to have changed, as least with the secondary system. The pump is still acting exactly the same with the ignition ON as it was before this problem surfaced. I've examined thoroughly under the hood and can't find anything that has come loose. As far as I know, everything hidden under the plenum that involves vacuum is directly related to the secondary system which, as I noted, is not functioning differently. Besides, Bill just went through everything under there with a fine-toothed comb and he tells me that it functions perfectly.

This car has 16K miles and has been garaged its entire life. I hardly ever drive it, yet I seem to have a major issue surfacing roughly every 5 miles of drive time. The aluminum guts of an LT5 are obviously bulletproof but everything surrounding it is clearly ludicrously delicate. Sorry if I'm offending anybody out there but I need to vent. I'm not a mechanic; I want a driver, not a project.
right there with you buddy. new plugs, wires, coils, pumps, filter, vac spider, ac...and that's just what I remember off the top of my head and I've had 2 weeks of perfect running in the last 4 years. It's a great car but the vac system has to go. It's rubbish

That said:
I would be willing to wager that your vacuum leak is coming from the rectangular rubber block on the plenum that connects the EVAP and PCV system. The block breaks down and gets loose and causes a high idle.

Mike100, on the 90, the EVAP purge is attached differently than the 91-95 cars.
Old 08-10-2014   #7
1990 quasar blue

Chris with KOEO how often does the pump cycle?
1990 ZR1 #2574
Medium Quasar Blue Metallic
1 of 19
1990 quasar blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014   #8
PhillipsLT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
right there with you buddy. new plugs, wires, coils, pumps, filter, vac spider, ac...and that's just what I remember off the top of my head and I've had 2 weeks of perfect running in the last 4 years. It's a great car but the vac system has to go. It's rubbish

That said:
I would be willing to wager that your vacuum leak is coming from the rectangular rubber block on the plenum that connects the EVAP and PCV system. The block breaks down and gets loose and causes a high idle.

Mike100, on the 90, the EVAP purge is attached differently than the 91-95 cars.
PCV hose original or ? if so its toast
Old 08-10-2014   #9
KILLSHOTS

Kevin and Phil, Bill just replaced the rubber PCV block with a new piece from Jerry. Quasar, my pump goes quiet for about 3 seconds and runs for just a moment. I think I've finally made the decision to ditch the entire secondary system.
Old 08-10-2014   #10
PhillipsLT5

Getting rid of system, I like it, Bill has a camera to look under plenum