ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-20-2014   #1
TomZR1

Default Sputtering

Took z out today to a car show but before I got there put 11 gallons of fuel(premium) car was running perfect got to the car show and car felt like it was shaking at idol ,gave it gas and was sputtering. So I stayed at show 2 hrs left,while driving was sputtering threw out all gears not so bad at high rpms ,has any one come across this,88000 miles,don't know last time fuel filter was changed i know injectors have been changed I can see a rc sticker on them. Cars been running perfect maybe bad gas. Thanks
TomZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #2
RiceEatingZR1

Default Re: Sputtering

I am having the same issue, I just replaced the fuel filter and my injectors are good. could be computer chip not allowing enough fuel, the only other thing I can think of is the pumps... any other thoughts?
1991 Charcoal Metallic ZR1 #730
[URL="http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649606"]http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649606[/URL]
[URL="http://community.webshots.com/user/shaun91zr1"][/URL]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/RiceEatingZR1/Forum%20Sig/Sig1.gif[/IMG]
RiceEatingZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #3
Kevin

could be a vac issue, could be fuel. the only way to know for sure is to attach gauges and drive around with them to see what the car is doing
Old 07-21-2014   #4
Z06scentair

Can not stress enough the need to have the spark plug wire boots filled with Di-Electric grease.

The spark can violently bounce to the cam cover causing the issues you both describe. My car did it the very first week of ownership.

Once I filled the boots with the grease the symptoms immediately ceased. the car was idling and running better all the way around.
Z06scentair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #5
TomZR1

Thanks for input guys, tried replacing fuel filter and couldn't do it nut was to tight, couldn't get leverage with jack under car so I will bring to a friends shop and replace it there and see if filter works & try di electric . Thanks I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 07-21-2014   #6
mike100

I actually bought bad gas this summer...it happens. My symptoms were a hunting idle when rolling to a stop and occasional stalls on the roll. coasting idle stumble at 2600 when transitioning back to the throttle at very light loads. It was weird- I think it was too much ethanol water contamination at the gas station.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014   #7
GSJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06scentair View Post
Can not stress enough the need to have the spark plug wire boots filled with Di-Electric grease.

The spark can violently bounce to the cam cover causing the issues you both describe. My car did it the very first week of ownership.

Once I filled the boots with the grease the symptoms immediately ceased. the car was idling and running better all the way around.
Having had experience with spark tracking on my friend's car a few years ago, let me add to Z06scentair's post. If you decide to fill the spark plug wire boots with dielectric grease--and it's always important to do so when you remove them--you should probably consider replacing the spark plugs at that time. If you think that you have a spark jump issue like we did and you look very, very closely at the spark plug insulators from top to bottom outside, you will no doubt see where the "misguided" spark has created a track from the top of the spark plug to the base on one or more of them. Using plugs that have this "defect", even though you've added the grease, will probably result in your having the same symptoms as before. For a few bucks, it's well worth considering. This, by the way, was Marc Haibeck's suggestion to us when my friend had the problem...and we had just replaced his plugs too!
GSJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014   #8
Schrade

SP wire arc-ing also causes EMI emmission, same as a nuke, and solid state sensors and nukes don't play well together...
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014   #9
TomZR1

Ok put new fuel filter and still same problem,next step new plugs,in the mean time I'm letting it run & driving it to get rid of gas so I can put new fuel in to see if this whole time it was bad gas.
Old 07-23-2014   #10
TomZR1

When taking off in 1st gear it sputters until 1500-2000 rpms,if I ease into gas pedal to reach higher rpms 5-6000 it's fine,but soon as I give it half to full throttle it sputters. Maybe that I'll shine a little bit of light,thanks