ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 09-21-2020   #1
Corvette95

Default I need very expreience help in hood to latch to bumper to fender alignment

Hi, I have a good bit of hood alignment experience, mainly intaking a car apart and reinstalling and adjustments. The current car has had the front end replaced and shimmed to make fit ( bandaid not the cure) . I am finsihed my 90 with a 91 plus front end. Got the hood fairly well aligned but the hood seems to want to go down and outward to drives side. I have adjusted latches, shims, bumper stop etc. I CAN make it work but with a lot of shims and slotting. My thoughts is since there is a replaced front bumper I believe the light hit in the past, the shop shimmed and slotted to make front fit (gaps were poor when I bought it). So after buying all new front end parts brackets, supports and otherwise, still get an out of square hood - even with the hoot latch adjustment. I removed the entire front bumper yesterday, even though it would have been fine as is, but I want it right, before I attempt more shims, I have an appointment with a shop with a point to point Jig measuring system so I can be certain if there is any sway in the frame horns. After that, it will come back on me. I will get it perfect, but is there anyone with a great deal of knowledge with aligning late C4 hood to door to bumpers? I have read ALL the articles but could use a mentor on this and I can repay the favor. Anyone out there that can help me? I have my lost copy of C4 front end and rear end body books on order ( lost my hard copy of those books). Anyone willing to help me virtually with getting the front end to factory spec? I am north Alabama. Thanks! I am running out of time as this is taking my work space up. TIA
1989 C4 Conv Wht/Red Auto SOLD
1996 C4 Conv Black/Tan Auto SOLD
1994 C4 Coupe Wht/Blk SOLD
1995 C4 ZR-1 White/Gry #278 Dual Dunn Head SOLD
1986 C4 Coupe Black/Red 4+3 SOLD
1990 C4 ZR-1 Red/Red #0454
Corvette95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020   #2
viper107

Default Re: I need very expreience help in hood to latch to bumper to fender alignment

your on target on possible front frame horns,ect. i have seen on most cars(c4) for me that once tapped in the front,its a sob to get them back to correct factory look,close but not factory perfect,but im not saying impossible
95 admiral blue z(sold)/ / 93 ruby z(sold) 91 steel blue z/95 aqua z haibeck 510, 91 callaway 415 areobody #5
viper107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020   #3
Corvette95

Default Re: I need very expreience help in hood to latch to bumper to fender alignment

I had the whole front end on, fender gaps adjusted, hood latches working, but wasn't close enough to perfect. If it was standard adjustments I could do it. I trained with Gordon Killebrew . I also have the adjustment notes. it seems the hood at the cowl is over to the passenger side about an 1/8 of an inch. I can and have shimmed it and made it work, I have just put too much time and money in this car to not be right. I am having it put on a 3-D Jig Wednesday for a check, if it needs a slight adjustment he will do it, if not, I will feel ok about shimming it. I just hate putting all the time in it to put it together to take it back apart, its gonna look great though (IMHO). Here is a picture of two days wasted work.... on another note, I am having the skid bars powder coated while they are off, should had already done that. If back my holds up, I am going to try to get the A and B pillar weatherstrip on tomorrow and adjust the windows. I am having a terrible time getting inner door seals, the ones I keep getting (including NOS that wasn't ) are about a inch longer than the ones that came on it, and they have bendable tabs, they should be stapled , I am more concerned about the extra length of the inner sweeps...can anyone tell me more about the inner sweeps? Other than the slotted holes, do the bumper braces have shims (see pic below)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frontbumperon.jpg (146.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg brackets.JPG (18.0 KB, 10 views)
1989 C4 Conv Wht/Red Auto SOLD
1996 C4 Conv Black/Tan Auto SOLD
1994 C4 Coupe Wht/Blk SOLD
1995 C4 ZR-1 White/Gry #278 Dual Dunn Head SOLD
1986 C4 Coupe Black/Red 4+3 SOLD
1990 C4 ZR-1 Red/Red #0454

Last edited by Corvette95; 09-21-2020 at 06:57 PM.
Corvette95 is offline   Reply With Quote