ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-01-2011   #1
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Interesting DOHC vs. pushrod 500+ motors

I ran across a couple SBC videos of engines claiming to be 500+ hp, and thought it would be interesting to compare to an LT5, just for fun...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05Tc7...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StCV0qYdqxU&NR=1

And my 508 hp LT5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1YFa8ruh8A

Makes for an interesting comparison, I thought.

Took her out to stretch her legs a bit today. Geeeze but that 19 degree air sure makes some wicked hp! Course, the tires didn't grip for crap - no surprise there, I guess.

Happy new year! May your mods go smooth - and long live the King!

Is it spring yet??

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #2
tomtom72

Default Re: Interesting DOHC vs. pushrod 500+ motors

We used to call them motors that sounded like they were making coffee....that very lumpy idle of the big cam...seemingly shutting off in between each cylinder firing...memories of high school in the late 60's & the smell of SUNOCO 260, leaded of course!

On the other hand your motor's idle belies it's potential aggression and the big can of whoop a$$ that it's packing. There will proly be a lot of hot car drivers that will rue the day they meet up with your Z Paul!

Curious observation, or perhaps reflection, on my part here. I have a few corvette crusin' buds & they all have 5's & 6's. They are all modded to a degree. I'm the only 'runt' stocker in the pack.

None can get away with "nah, it's bone stock!"....the idle of even an OBDII motor gives away itself. Even a friend's C6/ZO6 at idle doesn't sound like 'docile' if you listen closely. My 72 LT-1 even with side pipes idling @ 900 rpms didn't sound like anything much....pull off the idle assist solenoid and let it idle on the carb & it was a different story @ 450 rpms....an LT5 is the purist stealth weapon, it's so civilized it should be a crime!

Enjoy her!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #3
FU

I LOVE my LT5's . But your comparing apples to oranges. Long live the KING. Technology moves on.
Ever hear a 505 H/P LS7 idle ?
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #4
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by FU2 View Post
I LOVE my LT5's . But your comparing apples to oranges. Long live the KING. Technology moves on.
Ever hear a 505 H/P LS7 idle ?
The comparison is apples to oranges only from a technology standpoint, Frank. But displacement to hp is close enough to be equal in both cases, but there is a huge difference in overall drivability, is my point.

IMO, when comparing output of same displacement, I think it was a big mistake for Government Motors to scuttle the DOHC V8 project. It might take something like Ford's 5.0L "Coyote" DOHC motor making over 412 hp to shake some sense back in GM's management. (The Coyote's split plenum & cross ram induction they're using looks a lot like the Katek approach to the C5 and C6Rs.) I just feel GM is being obstinate and obtuse where the future of Corvette is concerned...Not that I wouldn't take a C6 Z06 in a New York second!

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #5
todesengel

I'll honestly have to go with Frank on this. I will however include videos of my little 700 hp plus cobra 5.0 vert, and 587 hp 4.2l Audi RS4 for your comparison...

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...t=cobrarev.mp4

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...audirs4rev.mp4
todesengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #6
Aurora40

HP/displacement is a ricer argument, in my opinion. No offense is meant by that, it's just that it is a meaningless metric. Displacement doesn't reflect physical size, fuel consumption, or anything really particularly important.

That said, if you want a 400+whp C4 that drives and idles smooth as silk, there is no doubt an LT5 is a great starting point.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #7
todesengel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
HP/displacement is a ricer argument, in my opinion. No offense is meant by that, it's just that it is a meaningless metric. Displacement doesn't reflect physical size, fuel consumption, or anything really particularly important.

That said, if you want a 400+whp C4 that drives and idles smooth as silk, there is no doubt an LT5 is a great starting point.
Im not going to argue the ricer standpoint, because what I have seen from the board there is not a 350, or 441 for that matter, on here that can bag on my imports (except maybe the Audi, it is my least powerful one, and still runs a 12.1

Choice is a flavor. Some want lumpy cams, big carbs to make power, some a power adder, others a big block punched way out, and still others a quad cam v-8. None of this changes the fact that it is apples to oranges. It is however a perfect example of two different paths to the same goal, and each can make their own personal argument on why theirs is better to THEM.
Old 01-02-2011   #8
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by todesengel View Post
Im not going to argue the ricer standpoint, because what I have seen from the board there is not a 350, or 441 for that matter, on here that can bag on my imports (except maybe the Audi, it is my least powerful one, and still runs a 12.1
Sounds like you took offense. I wasn't suggesting imports can't be fast. Rather, generally speaking the people who care about hp/liter are the ones who don't have much hp.

It isn't a metric that has any real world significance.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011   #9
todesengel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora40 View Post
Sounds like you took offense. I wasn't suggesting imports can't be fast. Rather, generally speaking the people who care about hp/liter are the ones who don't have much hp.

It isn't a metric that has any real world significance.
Nope, I didn't take offense at all. Other peoples input, and/or opinions of what I own mean very little to me. if I spent all my time looking for approval, or pleasing others I would have no time to please myself.

My only point is that people build different cars for different reasons. While others may not be able to see the logic behind their build, they do.

An example of this is any car that I build has to have the ability to easily make a cross country trip at a moments notice, while leaving me with all the creature comforts and acceptable fuel economy. My next door neighbor has a 469 bbb chevelle (I think that is waht he said it is stroked to), with a hug cam, manual brakes, manual steering, no air, etc. His car dyno's at 750 ish hp, while I have 3 cars that exceed that, and still meet my criteria.

He wouldn't build a car similar to mine, nor would I build a car like his. Each have their place, just not in the others world.

I will however say the rice card is almost as overplayed anymore as the race card, just mho.
Old 01-02-2011   #10
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by todesengel View Post

Choice is a flavor. Some want lumpy cams, big carbs to make power, some a power adder, others a big block punched way out, and still others a quad cam v-8. None of this changes the fact that it is apples to oranges. It is however a perfect example of two different paths to the same goal, and each can make their own personal argument on why theirs is better to THEM.
the point, you missed it