ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > Cleaning and Waxing

Old 06-25-2010   #1
ZR1@LAST

Arrow Cleaning & Detail Tips

Please suggest the best products to use for the following:

I am trying to clean the underhood hard plastic panel and the plastic radiator shroud, etc. I cleaned it with distilled water and soap. Now I have streaks and no finish. What do I need to do to "clean" it and "dress" it. It has a mat finish and don't mind if the product is a little shiney, but not a dust collector?

What is the best product to condition leather seats to prevent cracking and minimize wear? I remember the old way using saddle soap, but have not seen that in years? ))

Same question as above, but for the rubber seals- door, etc.?

Thanks as always ))

Jeff
90 ZR1
Red/Red
ZR1@LAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #2
xlr8nflorida

Default Re: Cleaning & Detail Tips

I am trying to clean the underhood hard plastic panel and the plastic radiator shroud, etc. I cleaned it with distilled water and soap. Now I have streaks and no finish. What do I need to do to "clean" it and "dress" it. It has a mat finish and don't mind if the product is a little shiney, but not a dust collector?

My car is low mileage and pretty much a show car so I usually just use soap and water. I'm afraid of getting it drippy looking. That plus the fact that the LT-5 runs really hot and the clearance is pretty tight in there and chemicals can do weird stuff sometimes and this is important because the LT-5 paint job is not very durable. I have noticed that on dashboard treatments, some of it evaporates onto the inside of the windshield.

I have used Stoner "More Shine" before with no issues but you need to be careful of overspray and drying times.

That being said if I was going to use a different product, I would probably use this product:

What is the best product to condition leather seats to prevent cracking and minimize wear? I remember the old way using saddle soap, but have not seen that in years? ))

Thanks as always ))

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 06-25-2010 at 03:17 PM.
xlr8nflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010   #3
ZR1@LAST

Thumbs up Re: Cleaning & Detail Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida View Post

My car is low mileage and pretty much a show car so I usually just use soap and water. I'm afraid of getting it drippy looking. That plus the fact that the LT-5 runs really hot and the clearance is pretty tight in there and chemicals can do weird stuff sometimes and this is important because the LT-5 paint job is not very durable. I have noticed that on dashboard treatments, some of it evaporates onto the inside of the windshield.

I have used Stoner "More Shine" before with no issues but you need to be careful of overspray and drying times.

That being said if I was going to use a different product, I would probably use this product:

What is the best product to condition leather seats to prevent cracking and minimize wear? I remember the old way using saddle soap, but have not seen that in years?

Thanks as always

What better advice from a car show guy, thanks!

I really appreciate your tips and advice.

One more question, perhaps two what wax or polish do you suggest for the not so durable paint? What do you suggest for the dash and other interior panels?

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2010   #4
xlr8nflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1@LAST View Post
What better advice from a car show guy, thanks!

I really appreciate your tips and advice.

One more question, perhaps two what wax or polish do you suggest for the not so durable paint? What do you suggest for the dash and other interior panels?

Thanks!

I'm not sure what you mean by not so durable paint. The main thing for waxes/polishes is the prep. All waxes/polishes look good with the right prep.
Now if you are talking durability, I have found nothing better then Zaino. On my daily driver Corvette, it lasts 9 months+. I use Z8 as a topper but some guys use a Carnuba over the top. Carnuba will offer alittle more protection (as long as does not wear off in 2 months) as the zaino is a sealant.

I don't spray my interior panels, I think once you spray them its an ongoing battle and it never looks factory again.

Lots of guys like this stuff - 303 Aerospace Protectant

I use quality products - there are tons of quality products out there and unless you stay up on it, there are always new and better products being developed.

A very informative site is this one: http://www.autopia.org

You can look at the prices/performance and reviews.

Good luck
Old 06-25-2010   #5
ZR1@LAST

Thumbs up Re: Cleaning & Detail Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by not so durable paint. The main thing for waxes/polishes is the prep. All waxes/polishes look good with the right prep.
Now if you are talking durability, I have found nothing better then Zaino. On my daily driver Corvette, it lasts 9 months+. I use Z8 as a topper but some guys use a Carnuba over the top. Carnuba will offer alittle more protection (as long as does not wear off in 2 months) as the zaino is a sealant.

I don't spray my interior panels, I think once you spray them its an ongoing battle and it never looks factory again.

Lots of guys like this stuff - 303 Aerospace Protectant

I use quality products - there are tons of quality products out there and unless you stay up on it, there are always new and better products being developed.

A very informative site is this one: http://www.autopia.org

You can look at the prices/performance and reviews.

Good luck
My comment about the paint is that the quality is not what I hoped it to be. I have a very low mileage Buick GN that is pampered and the orange peel is horrible.

You bring up a lot of good points.

Thanks again and have a gr8 weekend!
Old 06-25-2010   #6
xlr8nflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1@LAST View Post
My comment about the paint is that the quality is not what I hoped it to be. I have a very low mileage Buick GN that is pampered and the orange peel is horrible.

You bring up a lot of good points.

Thanks again and have a gr8 weekend!
See if you can correct the paint first with a good porter cable.

Good luck