ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-09-2017   #1
1971 Judge

Default Straight Pipe Success!

Gents,

I purchased a set of "straight pipes" from member, Top Toy. He's a great member and class act.

Let me tell you, these things are just beautiful and I was fortunate enough to get them mounted on my '90 today by Kinney's Muffler shop here in Watauga, Texas (20 minutes from D/FW airport).

Kinney's had to do some custom fabrication to make it all work, but the end result is truly impressive. I did add a new cross-pipe in place of the stock resonator as mine was on its last leg.

Yes, it's definitely LOUDER! But, the sound is just exhilarating. My Z is not a daily driver, so I am Ok with the sound increase. Around 3k it growls aggressively and at 5k and up it's pure NASCAR. LOVE IT. It's fitting for the name, "King of the Hill".

In terms of power, well, let's say the car is actually a bit smoother and the mid range feels cleaner. Hard to say if it's 10hp or more, but the psychology of it all is a lot more FUN...!!

A big THANK YOU to Top Toy for making this possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1998.jpg (149.5 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2003.jpg (163.1 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2004.jpg (156.2 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2005.jpg (146.7 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2007.jpg (125.8 KB, 105 views)
1990 ZR-1 #1797
1979 Trans Am
1971 GTO Judge tribute
1971 Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #2
Ozruss90

Default Re: Straight Pipe Success!

Hey Judge. Are you running headers or std manifolds? And did the muffler shop take any decibel readings at various RPM? Curious!
Ozruss90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #3
WARP TEN

Third picture seems to show cats ahead of the flanged connections. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #4
1971 Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozruss90 View Post
Hey Judge. Are you running headers or std manifolds? And did the muffler shop take any decibel readings at various RPM? Curious!
Great questions! Yes, I'm still running OEM headers/cats. The car does pull smoother and you can feel more torque/power. I am considering adding OBX headers and calling it a day with my chip going back to Haibeck for re-calibration.

Decibel level is dramatically louder than stock, no numbers/data to share. For reference, It is louder than my 2008 Z06 which is running a Magnaflow cat back.

However, it's acceptable for cruising. If you keep the RMP's below 2200, it's no big deal, you can talk to your buddy in the passenger seat and the radio is still easily heard. After 2500rpm, people know you're running something strong. Here's a good example, when people are driving around me on city streets (and I'm driving between 2500-3500rpm) and we come to a red light, they look at my car now because of the sound; it's that good. Personally, since this is a super-car to me and today's Ferrari's and Jag F types are VERY loud in the mid-range and up; it is PERFECT.

Again, this is my personal style for a car that is NOT ordinary and deserves attention.
1990 ZR-1 #1797
1979 Trans Am
1971 GTO Judge tribute

Last edited by 1971 Judge; 08-10-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 08-10-2017   #5
ssrszz4

Does Top Toy sell these pipes? Or was he just welling the one set?
ssrszz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #6
Top Toy

Glad those straight-thru's found a good home! You should post some sound or video clips!

ssrszz4 -- sorry, these were a one-off R&D project for me. They look simple but took a lot of custom fabrication hours to put together!
'95 ZR-1, aqua/gray, #167
368 LPE/Haibeck, Web cams, Stainless Works headers, B&B Fusion exhaust, 18" Fikse wheels, Alcon brakes, lowered. 491 SAE RWHP.
Top Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #7
1971 Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Toy View Post
Glad those straight-thru's found a good home! You should post some sound or video clips!

ssrszz4 -- sorry, these were a one-off R&D project for me. They look simple but took a lot of custom fabrication hours to put together!
Here's the video at idle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJuT3jzi08g

Here's the video revving (did not go past 4k rpm): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjEOwGUMPSs
1990 ZR-1 #1797
1979 Trans Am
1971 GTO Judge tribute
Old 08-10-2017   #8
Ozruss90

I'm thinking that by adding aftermarket headers and cats it's going to change and increase the sound. Hope it doesn't spoil the party and make it to loud.
My 90z is currently std. and I want to add headers of some sort and a rear system to add some growl, but don't want it to sound like a truck either. I'll keep reading/ researching on here b4 I choose a system.
By the way, they look great on the car 👍🇦🇺
Ozruss90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #9
1971 Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozruss90 View Post
I'm thinking that by adding aftermarket headers and cats it's going to change and increase the sound. Hope it doesn't spoil the party and make it to loud.
My 90z is currently std. and I want to add headers of some sort and a rear system to add some growl, but don't want it to sound like a truck either. I'll keep reading/ researching on here b4 I choose a system.
By the way, they look great on the car 👍🇦🇺
Hmmm...ya know...the car as it is right now is plenty loud. BUT, it has NO restrictions anymore. I don't think headers are going to make it much, if any, louder. I do believe with headers and a tune on my Haibeck chip, this stock LT-5 will probably make 430hp (LS3 territory), which is actually amazing as we all know that is modern day hi-performance territory.

I could be wrong-and it wouldn't be the first time; so I encourage others to comment - but I don't think headers are going to make much of a difference in the db level considering I no longer have any restrictions (I don't consider the CAT's to play much of a role in this equation).
1990 ZR-1 #1797
1979 Trans Am
1971 GTO Judge tribute
Old 08-10-2017   #10
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971 Judge View Post
Hmmm...ya know...the car as it is right now is plenty loud. BUT, it has NO restrictions anymore. I don't think headers are going to make it much, if any, louder. I do believe with headers and a tune on my Haibeck chip, this stock LT-5 will probably make 430hp (LS3 territory), which is actually amazing as we all know that is modern day hi-performance territory.

I could be wrong-and it wouldn't be the first time; so I encourage others to comment - but I don't think headers are going to make much of a difference in the db level considering I no longer have any restrictions (I don't consider the CAT's to play much of a role in this equation).
I ran straight pipes on my Z (with stock manifolds) for a short time, as well. My understanding is that cats do muffle the sound more than you'd think. As loud as mine was in that state, I would never have added headers without putting on some mufflers. Yours seems surprisingly mellow to me in the video clip; mine was borderline deafening and I was seriously afraid of getting a ticket.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote