ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-08-2017   #1
XfireZ51

Default Is it deja vu all over again?

Mercury Marine in the running to build a DOHC 32V V8 for the C8!!!??

Is this why Mercury has never released the DOHC cylinder heads for the LS motors?

http://www.autonews.com/article/2017...eturn-to-autos
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017   #2
JThomas

Default Re: Is it deja vu all over again?

It sure would be nice to rekindle that relationship after twenty-two plus years.
NCM Master Ambassador
NCM Lifetime Member
Former NCM Board Member
1991 ZR-1 Melon Copper Metallic/Black
1992 ZR-1 Bright Red/Black (Sold)
1995 ZR-1 Bright Aqua/Gray (Sold)
2012 ZR1 Super Sonic Blue / Dark Titanium
JThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017   #3
FU

I'm trying to get away from these cars , and they keep on dragging me back !

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017   #4
rush91

Hey, when you want it done right..

Sent from my XT1585 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017   #5
XfireZ51

Mercury Racing and GM have a long standing relationship. A number of us visited w Rick Mackie at their Fond du Lac facility and visited yheir museum where a 95 ZR-1 was prominently displayed. And we presented them w one of Lee's MAP sensor covers with the correct serial #. Their facility had racks of SBC blocks for use as marine motors. So I don't think the relationship ever terminated. And its pretty clear the QC4V is a descendent of the LT5 w some really nice improvements.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017   #6
rush91

I haven't read Heart of the Beast, so I don't know if this is known. Did Mercury Marine mill the LT5 and components put of blocks of aluminum, or did they just get pieces shipped to them and assemble? We're all the LT5 molds destroyed?

rush91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017   #7
Mystic ZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FU View Post
I'm trying to get away from these cars , and they keep on dragging me back !
"I know it was you Frank...
You broke my heart."
Michael

Last edited by Mystic ZR-1; 08-09-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Mystic ZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017   #8
BigJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic ZR-1 View Post
"I know it was you Frank...
You broke my heart."
Michael
Doug,
What is up way down south in Mystic?
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017   #9
AnthonyGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rush91 View Post
I haven't read Heart of the Beast, so I don't know if this is known. Did Mercury Marine mill the LT5 and components put of blocks of aluminum, or did they just get pieces shipped to them and assemble? We're all the LT5 molds destroyed?

Mercury Marine did machining and assembly. The number of foundaries that can make forging a or caste msg of the required quality for an engine like these are actually very few. A lot of aluminum heads are made in Italy in the same foundry Ferrari uses.

Then there is China.....
AnthonyGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017   #10
Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Mercury Racing and GM have a long standing relationship. A number of us visited w Rick Mackie at their Fond du Lac facility and visited yheir museum where a 95 ZR-1 was prominently displayed. And we presented them w one of Lee's MAP sensor covers with the correct serial #. Their facility had racks of SBC blocks for use as marine motors. So I don't think the relationship ever terminated. And its pretty clear the QC4V is a descendent of the LT5 w some really nice improvements.
And its twin-turbo Big block 1000+hp marine engines are based off of the BBC, even though GM no longer produces a BBC anymore.

There was a rub between GM and Mercruiser back in the early 00's when GM wanted to make their new GEN VII(7)BBC 8.1 liter truck engine into a 525hp+/560+ torque factory backed Vortec marine race engine named the HP3. The HP3 was a stock 345hp sae NET stock truck engine that had ported iron heads, higher fuel pressure, modified throttlebody and different cam/springs. GM Powertrain shopped around to the marine engine shops for a CNC program and Innovation Marine in Florida got the nod for HP3 iron head porting.

Well Mercury didn't like the "truck" engine with minor mods competing with their "black" GEN 6 BBC race marine engines. Amd since Mercury/Merc was the largest consumer of GM Powertrain GEN 6 BBC and GEN 1E SBC and GEN3/4 SBCs, they made their buying power known and "exerted pressure" so that GM dropped the marine HP3 crate engine program. The 375hp HP1 and 425hp HP2 continued to be used by all GEN 7 BBC 8.1/496 marine manufacturers though, but the 525+hp/560+lb/ft torque HP3 went away, suddenly with no mention of it in the 2004 GM Performace Parts catalogue.
Even though GM pulled its Vortec factory support, Innovation marine soldiered on with the HP3. though they called it the HPi. They got up around 580hp on there head porting on 87octane before the stock hypereutectic pistons would let go. It was the simplicity of the HP3 that was basically a "truck" engine with ported stock heads and a cam using 87 octane with 9.1:1 compression and could compete with their purpose built race engines running high octane fuels.

I assume this is a point of embarrassment for GM as they had already stated that the new HP3 crate engine would be arriving in GMPP stores in. Its specs were printed on page 46 of the GM Performance Parts catalogue for 2003. Across the page in big red letters is the caption "AVAILABLE IN LATE 2003". This was the same season where GM Performance Parts announced their mid year 2003 release of the 620hp/650lb/ft ZZ572/620R with 9,6:1 compression and the 720hp/685lb/ft torque ZZ572/720hp engine with 12:1 compression. These 2 5782 engines were GEN 6 BBCs.
GMPP released some test HP3s to APBA race teams and the engines did well, esp. considering just how basic the engine was compared to the full race Mercury 525 full race boogie Merc engines.
If you ran an HP3 GEN 7 BBC and you ran a GM truck to pull your race boat, you got even more GM contingency money.

ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1494
Hog is offline   Reply With Quote