ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1s and ZR-1 Parts For Sale/Wanted

Old 04-26-2006   #1
nmitch2311

Default WTB LT5 Engine

I am looking to buy a used LT5 engine. Please email me if you have one available. Will purchase ASAP.

Norman
nmitch2311@aol.com
nmitch2311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006   #2
Z Factor

Default Re: WTB LT5 Engine

Hello and welcome to the forum Norman.
Z Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006   #3
nmitch2311

I'm still waiting on an LT5 engine. Does anyone out there has one for for sale? I want to do the impossible by replacing my L98 to an LT5 for a 1988 Pontiac Firebird GTA convertible. I know its going to be a technical challenge. I'm welcome to any suggestions or recommendations this forum may share for success.
Old 05-11-2006   #4
tccrab

Good luck on the swap, seems to me like a *huge* chore.
Personally, for the money you're going to spend, why not a new LS7?

As far as finding a used LT5, this guy was selling them on eBay. The rumor is that he bought up all the warranty return LT5's that GM had stored away. In the very beginning of the ZR1 run Chevy shops weren't allowed to do more than diagnose any problems with the LT5. If there were internal problems, the factory mandated action was R&R the entire engine.
Here's a link to his eBay profile, good luck!
http://feedback.ebay.com/ebaymotors/...iid=8036587655
Let us know how it goes.

TomC
'90ZR1 #792
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006   #5
nmitch2311

Tom,

Thanks for the feedback. To be honest, I'm only doing this for the cool factor. You hardly ever see any Firebird GTA's around much anymore let alone a convertible. I figure since I own something rare, and I need a replacement engine, why not install a never before done LT5 engine in my GTA. Both combinations will make this vehicle standout amongst the rest. I have given the LS7 engine some thought, however, I still will be face with many modifications that may need to be performed and cost. Would you assume that If I did go with the LS7, the end cost would probably be the same as if I installed the LT5?
Old 05-12-2006   #6
tccrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmitch2311
Tom,

Thanks for the feedback. To be honest, I'm only doing this for the cool factor. You hardly ever see any Firebird GTA's around much anymore let alone a convertible. I figure since I own something rare, and I need a replacement engine, why not install a never before done LT5 engine in my GTA. Both combinations will make this vehicle standout amongst the rest. I have given the LS7 engine some thought, however, I still will be face with many modifications that may need to be performed and cost. Would you assume that If I did go with the LS7, the end cost would probably be the same as if I installed the LT5?
Norman:

Both the LT5 and the LS7 have way huge cool quotients associated with each.
Both will require a LOT of engineering to fit into, and not tear your car apart when you mash the go pedal.
A quick online search tells me a crate LS7 will set you back around $12,500 for 550 potent ponies. This price does not include accessories or computer, so the actual cost of your upgrade will be considerably more. Plus you'll need a transmission that will handle all that power without dumping it's guts out on the boulevard.

You'll spend a little less getting a LT5, but you will also need the ZF6 tranny that comes with it because the bell housing bolt pattern on the back of the block is not standard Chevy. The LT5 comes in two versions, the 90-92 rated at 385 hp, and the 93-95 were rated at 405 hp. They can be modified to increase performance by porting and polishing the intake plenum and heads, installing bigger valves and different cams. Major HP improvement usually involves stoking the motor, which will add serious BIG dollars to your upgrade. There's always NOS, but most people tend to shy away from the spray. NOS is a great way to make extra HP, but it's also an easy way to detonate a motor if not set up and used correctly.

With all this talk of HP, don't forget that your GTA wasn't engineered to withstand 400+hp. Traction will be a big issue. You'll have to think about suspension mods to maximize traction and reduce the desire of the engine to twist itself right out from under your hood.
You'll have to think about what happens when you DO get good traction.
Will your standard differential handle the extra load?
Will the U joints hold up to the sheer brute power? Will you need wheelie bars to keep the front of the car on the ground?
And speaking of power, is your braking system up to the job of slowing this beast down from warp 10 repeatidly without overheating?

LS1's & LS2's are reasonably cheap these days, and can be easily modded to produce as much HP as your Visa card can stand. Parts will be cheaper too.
The "Cool Factor" is only a little smaller, the LS's are good engines, and are very high tech. If there's any drawbacks, the only major one I can see is that there's lots of them out there. Not very unique.

I've probably bored you by now, so I'll quit with the

Regrds,

TomC
'90ZR1 #792
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[/B]

Last edited by tccrab; 05-12-2006 at 01:50 AM.
Old 05-12-2006   #7
nmitch2311

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccrab
Norman:

Both the LT5 and the LS7 have way huge cool quotients associated with each.
Both will require a LOT of engineering to fit into, and not tear your car apart when you mash the go pedal.
A quick online search tells me a crate LS7 will set you back around $12,500 for 550 potent ponies. This price does not include accessories or computer, so the actual cost of your upgrade will be considerably more. Plus you'll need a transmission that will handle all that power without dumping it's guts out on the boulevard.

You'll spend a little less getting a LT5, but you will also need the ZF6 tranny that comes with it because the bell housing bolt pattern on the back of the block is not standard Chevy. The LT5 comes in two versions, the 90-92 rated at 385 hp, and the 93-95 were rated at 405 hp. They can be modified to increase performance by porting and polishing the intake plenum and heads, installing bigger valves and different cams. Major HP improvement usually involves stoking the motor, which will add serious BIG dollars to your upgrade. There's always NOS, but most people tend to shy away from the spray. NOS is a great way to make extra HP, but it's also an easy way to detonate a motor if not set up and used correctly.

With all this talk of HP, don't forget that your GTA wasn't engineered to withstand 400+hp. Traction will be a big issue. You'll have to think about suspension mods to maximize traction and reduce the desire of the engine to twist itself right out from under your hood.
You'll have to think about what happens when you DO get good traction.
Will your standard differential handle the extra load?
Will the U joints hold up to the sheer brute power? Will you need wheelie bars to keep the front of the car on the ground?
And speaking of power, is your braking system up to the job of slowing this beast down from warp 10 repeatidly without overheating?

LS1's & LS2's are reasonably cheap these days, and can be easily modded to produce as much HP as your Visa card can stand. Parts will be cheaper too.
The "Cool Factor" is only a little smaller, the LS's are good engines, and are very high tech. If there's any drawbacks, the only major one I can see is that there's lots of them out there. Not very unique.

I've probably bored you by now, so I'll quit with the

Regrds,

TomC
'90ZR1 #792
This is the very reason why I decided to join this group of elite professionals such as yourself Tom. And do to your feedbacks, I have decided to go with an LS instead of the LT5. Reason being, "Temptation". I can clearly see into the future a possible scenario that will happen. And though my intentions for going with the LT5 was again the "Cool factor". If people see what I posses they will want to "Try Me". Especially at traffics lights, and this is where it all get started. I can see it now. A Dodge Viper pulls up and revs his engine (let's me know his horses are in the stable). Then, my mental intuition will overcome my desire to punch the love juice to feed all my Thoroughbreds (an animal that can carry weight with sustained speed over extended distances) who has been starving since I decided to cruise around for looks. As a result, the inevitable will happen as you explained in your previous post that everything may end up on the street. It was a good idea at first, but in the long run, I think it will be best to spend my money on something a little less potent.

Regards,

Norman
Old 05-12-2006   #8
tccrab

Norman:

My goal was not to talk you out of doing the upgrade. A LT5 would be really_really cool under the hood of your GTA.
It would be quite an engineering feat getting it in there and getting it to work, and that's kind of what I wanted to pass along to you. It wouldn't be cheap either.
If money and time is no object, then by all means, let's stuff a fire breathing monster in there!!
But seriously, if you want a LT5, why not buy a ZR1? I've seen reasonably decent ZR1's go for less than $15k. If you think about it for a while, you'll see my point. It might actually cost you less to buy a complete car, than to upgrade your GTA.

Good luck!

TomC
'90ZR1 #792

hmmm... speaking of Vipers, I wonder if a Viper V10 would fit under your hood... hmmm.. Might need a cutting torch and a big hammer.. hmmm..hmmm..
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[/B]
Old 05-12-2006   #9
nmitch2311

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccrab
Norman:

My goal was not to talk you out of doing the upgrade. A LT5 would be really_really cool under the hood of your GTA.
It would be quite an engineering feat getting it in there and getting it to work, and that's kind of what I wanted to pass along to you. It wouldn't be cheap either.
If money and time is no object, then by all means, let's stuff a fire breathing monster in there!!
But seriously, if you want a LT5, why not buy a ZR1? I've seen reasonably decent ZR1's go for less than $15k. If you think about it for a while, you'll see my point. It might actually cost you less to buy a complete car, than to upgrade your GTA.

Good luck!

TomC
'90ZR1 #792

hmmm... speaking of Vipers, I wonder if a Viper V10 would fit under your hood... hmmm.. Might need a cutting torch and a big hammer.. hmmm..hmmm..
WOW!!! This would be nice. There is one on Ebay now.

"http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-Dodge-Viper-v10-Motor-Engine-and-Transmission_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQite mZ8065373592QQrdZ1"
Old 05-12-2006   #10
blackjack

awwwwwwww....cmon,guys,lets be serious....lolll
mmmm....theres that helicopter turbine next door........
blackjack
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote