ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-23-2008   #1
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default How to double repair time...

...in a little more than a second or two!!

Place air ratchet w/ deep well 10mm socket on bolt of water pump, not seeing the cross member running between the frame rails is directly behind the head of the ratchet.

Press the trigger...ZZZzzzip-THUNK! (That "THUNK" was good for four hours of work alone!)

BTW, who makes a pneumatic ratchet that does NOT have the rotation switch on the back of the ratchet head??? After last Saturday, I've been in the market for one!! )

Just thought y'all would enjoy a chuckle at my expense this morning. Have a good one!

P.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #2
QB93Z

Default Re: How to double repair time...

BUMMER!

I hate it when power tools make things go to sh** faster.

Jim
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #3
XfireZ51

Paul,

How about the one where you drop a small socket or Allen key down into the engine valley below the plenum and can't see it?
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #4
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Workman
...in a little more than a second or two!!

Place air ratchet w/ deep well 10mm socket on bolt of water pump, not seeing the cross member running between the frame rails is directly behind the head of the ratchet.

Press the trigger...ZZZzzzip-THUNK! (That "THUNK" was good for four hours of work alone!)

BTW, who makes a pneumatic ratchet that does NOT have the rotation switch on the back of the ratchet head??? After last Saturday, I've been in the market for one!! )

Just thought y'all would enjoy a chuckle at my expense this morning. Have a good one!

P.
What's the old adage? The only people who don't make mistakes are the one's who never do anything! BTDT!!

BTW, how did you finally resolve it? Saw the bolt in two? Raise the engine? (I may do the same thing someday )
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #5
Paul Workman

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B
What's the old adage? The only people who don't make mistakes are the one's who never do anything! BTDT!!

BTW, how did you finally resolve it? Saw the bolt in two? Raise the engine? (I may do the same thing someday )
Well...I considered a lot of things, including using the "blue wrench" to cut the socket in half. (Fortunately, I resisted that urge!) With some WD40 I was able to jerk the air ratchet up and down until I could just get the tip of a screw driver on the rotation selector thingy and turn it counter clockwise enough to at least "neutralize" the ratchet head. Then with a pair of Visegrips I was able to grip the 10mm socket and rotate it about 1/16th of a turn at a time. Of course, the rotation snapped the direction selector tab back into the "remove" (left rotation) position, requiring more horsing around with a screwdriver tip to get the selector rotated back to allow (right twist) rotation of the socket/bolt. No small task, I tell ya!

I repeated this several times over at least a couple hours until the bolt was turned in enough to produce some slack: the more the easier things progressed. Once I had a clear gap between the rotation selector tab and the cross member, I made one final check to be #$^$# sure the rotation selector tab was in the correct right turn (tighten) position, I reconnected the air line and zipped the bolt home, pulled the ratchet out and used a hand-held 1/4" drive ratchet to remove the bolt.

An hour later and I was filling my baby with coolant. At least that process went off w/o a hitch, and NO LEAKS! Well, almost no hitches...now and then I get a whiff of coolant coming from the vents. I sure hope it is just my paranoia-driven imagination...Or otherwise I'll be "dash diving", and I'd rather kiss a pig than tear the dash apart!!

P.
Old 06-23-2008   #6
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
.now and then I get a whiff of coolant coming from the vents. I sure hope it is just my paranoia-driven imagination...Or otherwise I'll be "dash diving", and I'd rather kiss a pig than tear the dash apart!!

P.
Well paul you really don't need to remove too much on the dash:

1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008   #7
Paul Workman

Oh, lord!
Old 06-24-2008   #8
tomtom72

Quote:
Oh, lord!
so that's what the fire wall looks like! Oh Joy!

Paul, sorry to hear about the snafu.....but I gotta agree with Jerry. fwiw, I've done sooo many things like that on my Z I stopped counting. I just make notes in the FSM so I don't do them again!

You sure that the smell is coming from the vents?
What type of clamps are you using on the hoses, ideal type or OEM?
The ideal type do some kind of heat cycle thing and they leak vapor, that you can smell strongly from the bumper to just about the end of the door. Go further to the rear of the car and ya can't smell it.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote