ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-16-2008   #1
ZR-1Mikko

Default Big injector sealing problem

My first attempt with new accel injectors didn't go as planned. Started the car and there was gas everywhere.
I did the installation based on different comments I have read on the forum, but I guess I missed something. I used the o rings that came with the accel injectors since they seemed to be the same size as the old ones and removed the o rings on the primaries.
I know you guys have been talking about the larger o rings, so I'm wondering if that will solve my problem?

Thank you for your input!
Old 06-16-2008   #2
Hammer

Talking Re: Big injector sealing problem

Mikko,
Give Jeff a call (206) 755-0976 I don't think he would mind helping at all.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #3
A26B

Default Re: Big injector sealing problem

Can you tell where the gas is coming from? If it is leaking out as soon as you turn the key on, without starting, it could be from the fuel feed & return pipe block or the top injector o-ring to the fuel rail.

Have someone else turn the key on momentarily while you watch.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.

Last edited by A26B; 06-17-2008 at 12:20 PM.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #4
ZR-1Mikko

I will have to do the test tonight. All I know that during that one minute I had the car running it dumped a lot of gas in the valley that then drained on the garage floor.
Old 06-17-2008   #5
Locobob

Did you disconnect the fuel rail from the block with the two lines coming into it when you did the install? If so you could have a sealing problem there - 2 o-rings in the block which need to line up in the grooves. When I disassembled my fuel inlet block the o-rings inside were mashed and torn.
More likely however is a sealing issue where the injectors mate to the fuel rail. With close to 50psi it doesn't take much to get a leak. I had a similar issue once - turned out I somehow took a little chunk out of an o-ring during the install resulting in fuel spraying into the valley. Also could be that you didn't get one of the clips onto its slot on the fuel rail properly. Don't worry about anything on the low end of the injector - you wouldn't have fuel in the valley from a problem with the lower O-ring.

ZR-1 Net Registry Oregon State Director

91 ZR-1 #431 Black/Black LPE 368
Locobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #6
tccrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locobob
Did you disconnect the fuel rail from the block with the two lines coming into it when you did the install? If so you could have a sealing problem there - 2 o-rings in the block which need to line up in the grooves. When I disassembled my fuel inlet block the o-rings inside were mashed and torn.
More likely however is a sealing issue where the injectors mate to the fuel rail. With close to 50psi it doesn't take much to get a leak. I had a similar issue once - turned out I somehow took a little chunk out of an o-ring during the install resulting in fuel spraying into the valley. Also could be that you didn't get one of the clips onto its slot on the fuel rail properly. Don't worry about anything on the low end of the injector - you wouldn't have fuel in the valley from a problem with the lower O-ring.
I agree with LocoBob. The problem is above the bottom O ring. Either one of the injector top O rings did not seal correctly or you've got a leak in your fuel rail.
Don't think that you're the first guy to not get it right on the first plenum pull. I had to pull my plenum 3 times when I installed my Accels...

Good luck!

Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #7
ZR-1Mikko

I never disconnected the fuel rail from the block, so the problem shouldn't be there. Based on your comments and what I learned from Jeff it sounds like the problem is the upper o rings not going correctly into the fuel rail. Also it seems that I put the clips in wrong. I put the rail in before I put the clips and I gues I was supposed to do it the other way...

Anyways thank you for your comments. I feel a lot better about it now and I'm anctious to go try it again today.
Is it ok to turn the power on with the plenum off to prime the system to look for leaks?
Old 06-17-2008   #8
jonszr1

i am not `00 % positive about this but when i put my rcs in the 90 i cked for leaks and had 2 secondary leaks .i dont believe I had the power key on . hope this helps
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008   #9
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR-1Mikko
Is it ok to turn the power on with the plenum off to prime the system to look for leaks?
Yes, it is fine. Just don't be smoking while you are doing it
Old 06-17-2008   #10
A26B

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR-1Mikko
Yes it is. Also, I would recommend that you lightly coat all of the o-rings with motor oil before installing them. It reduces the possibility of damage and will make it easier to install the injectors.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote