ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-14-2008   #1
xxxscimitarxxx

Default newbie driver questions

Hi to All

lve got several random questions regards my 1990
ZR1 that l will collect from southampton docks on friday 27th june in UK.....our first meeting

Q1... the CAGS effect

as l undestand it if my speed/rpm is lower than 20 in first the CAGS will block 2 and 3 and l go to 4th....ok.....and from that point l can down shift to 3 or 2

and if l rev 1 then l go to 2 coz CAGS wont block me ....have i understood correctly?

Q2.....power key

in low power mode do you get better gas mileage or is it just a feature for valet users

can you switch from LP to HP while moving or do you have to select before starting

does any one actually use LP mode?

Q3....ride settings

though l guess i will find out myself......but is there much difference in the settings that you can really feel

can you change settings while moving

Q4....

could someone direct me to some info regards gear/rev/speed ratios.

eg.....what revs does a ZR1 run at in 6th at 100mph....etc

Q5....

The 1990 does not have traction control.....the 1992 does.....meaning its traction control 'off' style driving with the 1990 ?

Thanks in advance

Dave Austin

Last edited by xxxscimitarxxx; 06-14-2008 at 05:53 AM.
xxxscimitarxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008   #2
tomtom72

Default Re: newbie driver questions

Welcome to the brotherhood!

Q1 = yes, I believe if the ECM detects more than 17% throttle application it de-activates the CAGS. You can just unplug the connector at the left side of the transmission & tape up the open ends and no more CAGS. Oh, forgot most of the places like Corvette Central & Eckler's et al sell a dummy plug kit to seal up the disconn'ed plugs.

Q2 = Good question, I never tried that. But yes switching on the fly is possible going up. I don't think I would try that if I had my foot in it in full power and switched to normal power. My power key hasen't been switched out of full power except to take the emissions tests.

Q3 = Yes to switching on the fly. I can feel the difference in my 90 and it is quite noticable.

Q4 = I think we have that info over at the netregistry site. I'm alsao sure it is in the owner's manual....at least I'm fairly sure. I'm sure 1st @ 7k rpm = about 57 mph, 2nd is about 90, I think 3rd is about 120, 4th is beyond 140 and 5th is 177?? Not real sure about 3, 4 & 5 though. 6th @ 100 is probably a touch under 2,500 rpms +/- a few rpms. I'm guilty of looking at the road and oil gauges & tach, and less at the speedo.

Q5 = if you mean in the '90s is it all driver.....yes. Just make sure the tires are warmed up or you will slide around (at least my GS-D3's are no good till they get hot.). I would say that there is no electronic safety net for driver error. Oh, under hard accleration on cold tires there is essientially no grip and you can get the rear to come around from the right....badly.....besides just spinning them thru 1st & most of 2nd if you don't take your foot out of it. Even be careful on cold tires in 2nd, you can loose traction in the right circumstances. The motor has a ton of T/Q that comes early and stays late.

Oh, yea....this is a fwiw, if your tires are old... chuck them. They will be useless. I really can't define "old", but my car came with 7400 miles at 14.5 yrs old and the original owner still had the original tires on the car. They were like driving on rocks & had about as much grip.

Enjoy your new toy!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member

Last edited by tomtom72; 06-14-2008 at 06:26 AM.
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008   #3
jonszr1

on the gas milage will be the same from the 81thousand miles i have put on 3 different cars in 4 yrs .as long as your cruizing now if you put your foot in it off will get you better with the valet key off but leave you withone of these you can turn the power key on and have it take below 4thousand revs but if your above that it wont activate .since you have a 90 just turn the key on and leave it there just in case some poor sap wants to find out what you have. lastly enjoy one great car and you will find that one of these is on your face all the time. if your like me i have to drive it everyday or i get really cranky . hense the amount of miles i have put on my cars . watch out . you also may find that you want 2 like me so you allways have one to drive .welcome to the addiction of the KOTH ie king of the hill
jonszr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008   #4
gbrtng

Q2: On the stock 91 you can change power settings below 40 mph, not above.
The stock 90 is probably the same. If yours is not stock, there is no telling if this parameter has been changed until you try.
Old 06-14-2008   #5
xxxscimitarxxx

Default Re: newbie driver questions thanks

Cheers for the info guys......and in answer to Jonszr1 about having a spare car.....welllllllllllll......l already done that before l have even seen the first one.....l bought the yellow 92 from Kurt White.

I have been an american car fan for ever. So is my son. even at $10 a gallon over here (our gallon is about 10% bigger than US), l would rather drive less than drive dull. my first american auto 15 yrs back was a red 68 buick wild cat vert (monster). my next a 97 3.8l auto mustang (gutless). my present car in UK is a modified 06 mustang GT auto vert with a 475bhp saleen pack...its tunnel vision fast, but its up for sale to make room for the ZR1s...nothing wrong with the mustang.....but it just doesnt have the right stuff!

American car design was/sometimes still is a unique art form...asian/euro boxes are for shopping...
xxxscimitarxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008   #6
chiplamb

Prior to refitting the unknown CAGS delete, power-on FULL & cooling fan early turn-on chip in my '93, I found I could delay the 1-2 shift slightly in the neutral gate and then get 2nd. Not elegant but doable. CAGS is worthless. Recommend some chip to eliminate this as well as the "NORMAL" default for the power setting.

I'm sure if you bought the car from Kurt that it is well-sorted and then some.

Cheers
Chip
'93 #82
chiplamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008   #7
jonszr1

Default Re: newbie driver questions thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxscimitarxxx
Cheers for the info guys......and in answer to Jonszr1 about having a spare car.....welllllllllllll......l already done that before l have even seen the first one.....l bought the yellow 92 from Kurt White.

I have been an american car fan for ever. So is my son. even at $10 a gallon over here (our gallon is about 10% bigger than US), l would rather drive less than drive dull. my first american auto 15 yrs back was a red 68 buick wild cat vert (monster). my next a 97 3.8l auto mustang (gutless). my present car in UK is a modified 06 mustang GT auto vert with a 475bhp saleen pack...its tunnel vision fast, but its up for sale to make room for the ZR1s...nothing wrong with the mustang.....but it just doesnt have the right stuff!

American car design was/sometimes still is a unique art form...asian/euro i love it 2boxes are for shopping...
allready have 2 a man after my own heart , sharing with your son double awsome. one ? does he get the slower of the 2? jk . plus having a yellow zr1 very special indeed . . now its a little mod time headers and 410 gears port the injector housibg and plenum a prom tune and you will have a super sonic ride . only problem is i have to buy rear tires often, but what the heck @55 you only go around once. enjoy those 2 fine rides , and again welcome
Old 06-14-2008   #8
jonszr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrtng
Q2: On the stock 91 you can change power settings below 40 mph, not above.
The stock 90 is probably the same. If yours is not stock, there is no telling if this parameter has been changed until you try.
wow really its below 40 mph .i thought it was 4000 rpm .learn something new everyday thanx for the info
Old 06-14-2008   #9
chiplamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonszr1
wow really its below 40 mph .i thought it was 4000 rpm .learn something new everyday thanx for the info
You are correct on 4k RPM switching from N to F or backwards. No MPH limit. I suppose they figure that below 4k the secondaries won't get confused.

Cheers
Chip
'93 #82
chiplamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008   #10
flyin ryan

welcometo you & chiplamp.