ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-08-2008   #1
LGAFF

Default 84 Z51 Springs

Anyone ever run these in their Z, I was wondering if these would help with launch traction. And I hear they are good for breaking up kidney stones.

LGAFF
92 ZR1
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #2
WB9MCW

Default Re: 84 Z51 Springs

My 84 with standard springs was a hard ride even more than the ZR-1 in the Competition setting. It felt every crack in the road. I can only imagine that the Z51 was a nightmare when it came to road rash in the azz. The G# look great for an 84- Z51 with 10" wide tires though!
"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008   #3
-=Jeff=-

Ask Dominic.. he had an 84 with Z51 and the 17x9.5 / 17x11 wheels
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008   #4
XfireZ51

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
Ask Dominic.. he had an 84 with Z51 and the 17x9.5 / 17x11 wheels
IMO, the 84 Z51 got a bit of a bum rap due to Gatorbacks and Bilsteins.
With 11's on the rear, the car handled great and the C5 brakes matched that. When I put in the ZF-6, it seemed to move the CG a bit more towards the middle of the car because overall it felt pretty neutral through the corners. It was about the equivalent of the Perf setting with my Morocca(sp?) valving. With the FX3 not sure you'd need the Z51 springs, but I had thought of getting the 84 Z51 steering rack. That was quick.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008   #5
Z51JEFF

Ive got an 84 with the Z51 option and its lowered.The ride is pretty stiff to say the least.I took the car out for a ride a few months ago to keep the battery charged.Im cooking pretty good down a wide street,its 3 in the morning,I forget theres a pretty good dip in the road.I hit the dip and it threw me up in the seat,hit my head on the top so hard I swear I could see the street light between the top and the header panel.Either that or I was just about to loose consciousness.My neck was sore for a week.The ride in my ZR-1 set to the most extreme setting doesn't even compare an early Z51 car.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008   #6
WB9MCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Ive got an 84 with the Z51 option and its lowered.The ride is pretty stiff to say the least.I took the car out for a ride a few months ago to keep the battery charged.Im cooking pretty good down a wide street,its 3 in the morning,I forget theres a pretty good dip in the road.I hit the dip and it threw me up in the seat,hit my head on the top so hard I swear I could see the street light between the top and the header panel.Either that or I was just about to loose consciousness.My neck was sore for a week.The ride in my ZR-1 set to the most extreme setting doesn't even compare an early Z51 car.

Yep I hit a big dip once with the std 84 set up and got a good headache myself too!

Must be an 84 thing!

"The Budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed, lest Rome will become bankrupt. People must again learn to work instead of living on public assistance." - Cicero, 55 BC
" We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln
WB9MCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008   #7
XfireZ51

One thing to remember is that the 84 was several hundred pounds lighter than the ZR-1. I think that would mitigate some of the stiffness of the springs. I'd hit my head on the roof a couple of times if I hit a dip at the right speed, but the Tokico shocks helped that out quite a bit. I liked how the Z51 "communicated" with the driver. And the handling was pretty good.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote