ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > Off Topic > OFF TOPIC

Old 12-20-2008   #1
Hammer

Talking GM Bailout

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008   #2
LGAFF

Default Re: GM Bailout

Maybe they should look at a revised tarrif.....tax break or sales tax write off on new american vehicle purchases, something consumer driven vs a donation. I think the most difficult thing to overcome is the stigma that american cars carry. The CTS/Malibu/G8 and other vehicles are going in the right direction in terms of countering BMW and other makes, but buying american just isn't "cool" to most people.

However, Americans have mastered high performance cars that get good mileage.....the Corvette/CTS, etc manage some tall power with solid mileage........try to find that in a BMW M3/M5?

LGAFF
92 ZR1
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008   #3
GOLDCYLON

Talking Re: GM Bailout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post

Truth hurts dont it ????
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #4
ZR1North

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGAFF View Post
Maybe they should look at a revised tarrif.....tax break or sales tax write off on new american vehicle purchases, something consumer driven vs a donation. I think the most difficult thing to overcome is the stigma that american cars carry. The CTS/Malibu/G8 and other vehicles are going in the right direction in terms of countering BMW and other makes, but buying american just isn't "cool" to most people.

However, Americans have mastered high performance cars that get good mileage.....the Corvette/CTS, etc manage some tall power with solid mileage........try to find that in a BMW M3/M5?

LGAFF
92 ZR1
Finally, someone else said it - thank you!

We were having a discussion at lunch a few weeks ago and it was clear from several peoples' comments (ladies and gents) who are driving Hondas, Toyotas, and Lexus(es) that they were largely (if not exlcusively) influenced by media and the general sentement "out there" that North American is sub par and you only drive one if you can't afford an import. I don't work in the automotive industry and I don't live in the US, but I think it is sad how improvements in NA automobiles since the late 70s and 80s (when rust was an issue and durability wasn't a hallmark of the Big 3) have not translated into a different mind set re these vehicles. Perhaps that's part of the marketing problem.

Having owned both Hondas and NA vehicles in the last ten years (the NA vehicles more recently), I beleive the shift in preference has a whole lot more to do with perception and a lot less to do with product quality.
ZR1North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008   #5
Wild and Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR1North View Post
I believe the shift in preference has a whole lot more to do with perception and a lot less to do with product quality.

Nail on the head.
Wild and Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009   #6
Z51JEFF

There are so many aspects to the issue but it comes down to how many times can you $hit on people that have bought domestic cars in the past and expect them to keep coming back?The U.S. has been building crap for years.As stated G.M. is starting to build some attractive cars but it may be too late.Should WE have bailed them out?Who knows.Look on the bright side,if Toyota buys G.M. then G.M. will start building cars that are worth a $hit.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009   #7
LGAFF

Losing manufacturing jobs is bad. Our Companies are becoming like the Seinfeld show...a show about "nothing". Look at Enron, and many others that followed they didn't have or produce anything tangible they were companies that had nothing, and produced nothing.....same as the recent investment/loan collapse.

Manufacturing is what builds the foundation of an economy, look at the critical role the industry played in WWII.....and I won't even get into the fact that we don't even produce our own steel anymore. Even the housing industry is an economc drain with many companies dependent on illegal workers to build at low cost...and that money is sent back home and not used in the US.

It is a multi-pronged appraoch to fix this issue, unions need to look at their jobs as a competitive market, manufacturers need to build better and more competitive products, and the government needs to create a climate promoting manufacturers in the US along with incentives to level the playing field to "buy american".

OK, off my soapbox...

LGAFF
92 ZR1

Last edited by LGAFF; 01-01-2009 at 12:10 PM.
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009   #8
XfireZ51

My company is a supplier to the automotive OEMs and their dealers globally. Lgaff is on the money with his comments.
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote