ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-17-2015   #1
Billy Mild

Default Cats or No Cats???

I'm debating between getting some high flow race cats or to go sans cats altogether. I have heard without cats the interior of the car will always smell bad after driving the car. I would prefer not to have this smell. For the small HP loss I don't see a reason not to run cats. They only will take away 5 HP.

The cats I am looking are: Random Tech 100 cell, Magnaflow Spun Cats, and MBS High Flow cats. Another option I saw someone on here do is run C6z06 Cats on their car. Is one better than the others?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mpe-59959/overview/

http://mandrelbendingsolutions.com/m...ace-converter/

http://www.randomtechnology.com/products.html
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015   #2
WARP TEN

Default Re: Cats or No Cats???

I currently run without cats as Illinois does not require emissions testing. I have SW headers, a stock 95 exhaust system and electric cutouts just before the mufflers (some pix in my albums). Another reason I did not want cats if that with the length of the SW headers I would have had to cut up the front part of my stock exhaust system and I did not want to do that. When I had my Corsa on the car I did use I believe Random Tech cats. You are correct that without cats your car exhaust will smell a bit--kind of like they did in the 60s and 70s. Not too bad and usually just on cold start up. The biggest advantage to cats (other than for the environment) is that they soften exhaust noise. I would say cats can reduce exhaust sound by as much as 20%. Yet they only cost a couple of horsepower. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015   #3
efnfast

the only people that smell my car without cats are the people behind me.
efnfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015   #4
RussMcB

I've never heard of non-cat cars getting smells into the interior of a car. Is there an explanation of how and why?

My initial gut feeling is there must be an exhaust leak for that to happen.

Or maybe it's because gasoline is formulated differently now? Still not sure how straight pipes in place of cats would cause a smell (much less going into the car's interior).
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015   #5
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mild View Post
I have heard without cats the interior of the car will always smell bad after driving the car.
Smells bad?! To me it "smells like VICTORY!".
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015   #6
mike100

The making your car smell comment is what I take to be when you stop at a light with your windows down and you choke on your own hydrocarbons...

I ran the Z06 cats because:
1) I already had some laying around.
2) they are fairly compact for a 3" catalyst.
3) you know they have a lot more precious metal content and do a better job of converting the pollutants than some universal hi-flow mini cat.
4) oem cats don't usually clog and break apart at the slightest hint of rich running or minor impacts with speed bumps. I thought it was the best catalyst for the application regardless of cost (which happened to be cheap since I had a pair).

I also had some LS2/LS3 catalysts too, but they are flat shaped and I thought it would be a challenge to fit those in the C4 tunnel. People have been giving them away since the LS2 came out.

Last edited by mike100; 03-17-2015 at 03:55 PM. Reason: additional info
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015   #7
batchman

Cats are a cheap technology that works. One thing for a competition car but for the street, no question for me - cats.

In fact I even run cats on my event car, doing otherwise would stink up the grid too much. You can tell the cars that don't run them, if you're next to one within moments your eyes water...

Cheers,
- Jeff
[I]91 ZR-1 #1840, autocrossing in SCCA BSP. FIC S/S's
DRM chip/Watson/Borla/lid/LW batt&headlights,
springs, shocks, pads & lines, quick rack & Turn One,
camber brace, 32/22mm sways, A/C halfway deleted
17x11 & 12 CCW's, 315 & 335 Hoosier A6s

[/I]
batchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015   #8
PhillipsLT5

Random Tech
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015   #9
Billy Mild

The headers I have are stainless works headers that have a 4" collector. I will have to run a reducer regardless.

My current exhaust situation is stock manifolds/cats into the stock exhaust with the center resonator deleted and Borla Axle Back.

My thought was to run SW Headers with 4" collectors reducer to Z06 cats back to an x-pipe then out to the borla mufflers.

Bad idea?
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015   #10
edram454

I love cats but not on my car. no cats.. less restriction. I had randon tech performance cats on my c5 and during a dyno pull it blew the guts of the cats out the exhaust pipes and i picked up 10 horsepower. no cats on my car. I got two beautiful cats at home.

ed ramos #3028

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote