ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-22-2013   #1
WARP TEN

Default New Idea for BG

I am a founding member of the ZR-1 Net Registry and before that a member of Larry Merow's ZR-1 Registry beginning in 1994. I have always enjoyed our gatherings, whether they be in BG, at Bloomington or local. I enjoyed this last one at BG. While there have been some events and presentations over the years that I was not too enthusiastic about, the overall experiences have been positive. I feel that lately we have been wasting too much energy on acrimony and believe it would benefit the group greatly if we looked forward now in a positive, constructive manner to the 2014 Gathering.

With respect to next year's gathering at Bowling Green, now is a good time to begin laying out the things we would like to see while memories of this one are still fresh in our minds. I recommend that we focus on the positive things we experienced and on our “Wish List” of things we would like to see next year so there is plenty of time to weigh and discuss them and maybe get early signups for events that need a good sized quorum. Some consideration can be given to things spouses might like to encourage them to come along.

For example, I would like to see an organized tour event (like a trip/lunch/tour to a distillery like we did – I think -- in 2006). That one was on a Thursday so as to encourage early arrivals and not to conflict with most presentations. It was a lot of fun.

Additionally, I would enjoy an opportunity to go drag racing. I realize Beech Bend has gotten bigger and we have gotten smaller, but maybe there would be a way to arrange – if sufficiently in advance -- a joint group outing. Perhaps we could secure a time with Beech Bend with an early deposit to give us time to pull such a thing together. Certainly worth exploring early to clearly understand pricing and availability. Any issues that might arise related to potential liability, releases, insurance, etc. can be discussed and dealt with ahead of time—in a way that helps the event to take place.

Auto-crossing was fun this year with a fair participation but we could probably get more people involved (and perhaps offer prizes or trophies) with more advanced planning of the event.

A plant tour should be part of the event and should be available next year. We have done them in the past.

When things were a bit slow I went to the local Railroad Museum. That was fun for a train geek, if somewhat limited, but I am sure there are probably many other venues that would make a fun outing alternative. Caves maybe?

As to what I liked this year, I thought all the presentations were informative (although occasionally limited by the AV equipment), the BBQs at the hotel and Auto Masters were great get togethers.

Lastly, I would like the Board to make sure that next year every day is sunny. The weather wasn't really too bad this year all things considered, but I expect you to do better next year.

Anyway, I think that as many people as possible should offer up their ideas, however far fetched, for things they might like to do and see next year and about things they liked this year. Right here on this forum. In a positive way. This will give the board and others plenty of time to make lists and start discussing and planning for them. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #2
DaveK

Default Re: New Idea for BG

Thanks for posting up your ideas Bob. You're right that now is the time to start planning for next year. I'm no longer on the events committee but I am sure that they will be interested in your ideas.

I'll start working on the sunshine right now

Dave
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #3
Fully Vetted

Bob - Thank you so much for starting this POSITIVE thread. I agree that more needs to be done to encourage spousal participation. Part of these suggestions will be taken care of when the NCM builds the Autocross and drag strip across the highway. Also, the plant will be open next year as well. Mix that in with a couple of tours and that should fill out the week.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #4
WARP TEN

Dave, it might be best to transfer this post to the general section rather than leave it in members only as non members also attended. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #5
DaveK

Done
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #6
ZZZZZR1
Banned
BANNED

Bob

I couldn't agree more!!!!

Spoke with a number of members (original owners like yourself) who are dying for the same thing!!!! The 2010 Dana plant ride was a blast (I was stuck @ the desk) and I still hear about it to this day

We hear the same thing each year where members say "what can my spouse do while I play"? Lets round up somd ladies and work up a special agenda for them???

I'd like to participate in a cruise next year!!! I'd actually love to attend some semiars too!

David
ZZZZZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #7
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
I am a founding member of the ZR-1 Net Registry and before that a member of Larry Merow's ZR-1 Registry beginning in 1994. I have always enjoyed our gatherings, whether they be in BG, at Bloomington or local. I enjoyed this last one at BG. While there have been some events and presentations over the years that I was not too enthusiastic about, the overall experiences have been positive. I feel that lately we have been wasting too much energy on acrimony and believe it would benefit the group greatly if we looked forward now in a positive, constructive manner to the 2014 Gathering.

With respect to next year's gathering at Bowling Green, now is a good time to begin laying out the things we would like to see while memories of this one are still fresh in our minds. I recommend that we focus on the positive things we experienced and on our “Wish List” of things we would like to see next year so there is plenty of time to weigh and discuss them and maybe get early signups for events that need a good sized quorum. Some consideration can be given to things spouses might like to encourage them to come along.

For example, I would like to see an organized tour event (like a trip/lunch/tour to a distillery like we did – I think -- in 2006). That one was on a Thursday so as to encourage early arrivals and not to conflict with most presentations. It was a lot of fun.

Additionally, I would enjoy an opportunity to go drag racing. I realize Beech Bend has gotten bigger and we have gotten smaller, but maybe there would be a way to arrange – if sufficiently in advance -- a joint group outing. Perhaps we could secure a time with Beech Bend with an early deposit to give us time to pull such a thing together. Certainly worth exploring early to clearly understand pricing and availability. Any issues that might arise related to potential liability, releases, insurance, etc. can be discussed and dealt with ahead of time—in a way that helps the event to take place.

Auto-crossing was fun this year with a fair participation but we could probably get more people involved (and perhaps offer prizes or trophies) with more advanced planning of the event.

A plant tour should be part of the event and should be available next year. We have done them in the past.

When things were a bit slow I went to the local Railroad Museum. That was fun for a train geek, if somewhat limited, but I am sure there are probably many other venues that would make a fun outing alternative. Caves maybe?

As to what I liked this year, I thought all the presentations were informative (although occasionally limited by the AV equipment), the BBQs at the hotel and Auto Masters were great get togethers.

Lastly, I would like the Board to make sure that next year every day is sunny. The weather wasn't really too bad this year all things considered, but I expect you to do better next year.

Anyway, I think that as many people as possible should offer up their ideas, however far fetched, for things they might like to do and see next year and about things they liked this year. Right here on this forum. In a positive way. This will give the board and others plenty of time to make lists and start discussing and planning for them. --Bob
I agree with everything you said, Bob! Great post!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #8
Pete

Bob,is just a little bit older then me but much wiser then me

Very nice post Bob.

Pete
'91 #1635 PoloGreen 350 LT5
11.09 @ 129.27
11.04 @ 128.86
474RWHP 400RWTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNFOhGGlR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRIOMwaDYY
https://sites.google.com/site/peteszr1garage
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #9
Ronstar

We could see if the diesel guys want to share the drag strip with us next year. They seemed pretty interested in racing against a corvette. Of course it might be a little humbling if some of you guys got beat by an 8000 lb dodge truck
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013   #10
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
We could see if the diesel guys want to share the drag strip with us next year. They seemed pretty interested in racing against a corvette. Of course it might be a little humbling if some of you guys got beat by an 8000 lb dodge truck
Ain't that the truth! Last year's test and tune session on Saturday night (as I recall) saw a diesel truck with duelies loose traction at the line and in spite of feathering the throttle to get the tires to hook up, it never did. The dang thing burned rubber for the whole quarter mile, and still turned in a run in the 12s! More (sometimes MUCH more) than 1100 ft# of torque will move a lot of weight very quickly.

But, yeah...Drag racin' "fer sher"!

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote