ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-21-2017   #1
Ccmano

Default Mass Storage Cartridge Update

For those that have a Tech1(a) with a Mass Storage Cartridge, I’m trying to comfirm my software version. It’s not listed in the outside. When I turn mine on it shows version 1.0. I assume if it were updated it would show a letter version, the latest of which is 3.2 as I understand. Is that a correct assumption?

The next question is what was the nature of the updates? Was it only to add additional model years or did it add functionality? For example mine does not have the capability to clear codes. At least not on my 90’ (or is that just another 90’ thing)

And of course the long shot question is... can they still be updated? Or does one just have to find a later one.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017   #2
WVZR-1

Default Re: Mass Storage Cartridge Update

I believe the V1 you see isn't updates but the firmware/format of the cartridge. With the device connected to the car what is the most current model year available in the menu? Maybe '00, '95, '93 or what? I see the V3.2 mentioned often. Maybe I just need to connect a couple of these to see what's what. If the highest model year is beyond '94 I think it safe to assume you're good for your '90. The V3.2 might be to include the '94 &'95 as well as '96+ with OBD2 with the 16 PIN DLC/ALDL.

I have mass storage that will do through I believe '00 for FOMOCO, MOPAR, GM and a couple IMPORTS. I have cartridges that are MASS STORAGE and also cartridges that are HIGH CAPACITY MASS STORAGE. Best I recall they weren't updated through GM unless required and I'd think maybe twice a year 'rule of thumb' unless there was a TSB introduced that required the use of the Tech1 and then it would be 'forced' and made available.

You say yours won't clear codes - which codes won't it clear? In '90 there was no device that would 'clear ALL'. If it mentions in your FSM that Tech1 will then I'd expect it to do that.

Does your MSC allow you to 'see' VIN and MILEAGE in the CCM?

This might be an example of a TSB that would require an update being made available:

https://www.carmd.com/Tsb/Download/44423/226356

I'd think if you want/need additional coverage you'll need to buy confirming that it will do as you wish.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 12-22-2017 at 10:49 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017   #3
Ccmano

Default Re: Mass Storage Cartridge Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
I believe the V1 you see isn't updates but the firmware/format of the cartridge. With the device connected to the car what is the most current model year available in the menu? Maybe '00, '95, '93 or what? I see the V3.2 mentioned often. Maybe I just need to connect a couple of these to see what's what. If the highest model year is beyond '94 I think it safe to assume you're good for your '90. The V3.2 might be to include the '94 &'95 as well as '96+ with OBD2 with the 16 PIN DLC/ALDL.

Here’s the first answer, the version designation is on menu screen. Found this on eBay.

Mine is a V1.0 that goes to MY93. Won’t accept 94 or higher.

You say yours won't clear codes - which codes won't it clear? In '90 there was no device that would 'clear ALL'. If it mentions in your FSM that Tech1 will then I'd expect it to do that.

The FSM for 90’ States all codes must be cleared by disconnecting power from the ECM even when using a Tech1. The code I was trying to clear was a code 41. My question really was whether the later versions added that or other capability.

Does your MSC allow you to 'see' VIN and MILEAGE in the CCM?

Haven’t had a chance to check that yet.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote